What's new

Root Aphids I assume...

jcom

Found a couple of these on the netpots in my DWC. The red asses and dual barbs on the rear tell me they are root aphids, but I'll let you, the community, confirm for me. In a heavy search, we only found a couple out of 5 buckets, but we know how rapidly they can multiply. We are making plans for the Bayer treatment already.

Keep in mind that these pics are from my USB microscope.

Bug 4.jpg

Bug 5.jpg

Bug 6.jpg

Granger2

Veteran
Immediately you should K, K, K, KILL!! Yes, they waste no time proliferating. Good luck. -granger

Wish you the best.....def root aphids. Bayer has small levels of Imid.......use it now but order Merit 75wp online. Its much more concentrated.

S

SeaMaiden

Found a couple of these on the netpots in my DWC. The red asses and dual barbs on the rear tell me they are root aphids, but I'll let you, the community, confirm for me. In a heavy search, we only found a couple out of 5 buckets, but we know how rapidly they can multiply. We are making plans for the Bayer treatment already.

Keep in mind that these pics are from my USB microscope.

View attachment 189150

View attachment 189151

View attachment 189152

Those don't resemble the root aphids I'm familiar with. Furthermore... is it me, or do those bugs have six legs instead of a mite's eight? Looks like some kind of beetle bug to me.

Yeah, those bugs not only don't have 8 legs that a mite would have, they look like stinkbugs. Could be as bad a problem for you, or worse.

greenluv707

pit wisper/ rare strain collector
use bayer with imid in it as soon as possible it will save you the hurt in the end.........

lost starins to these lil fuckers...........

medicalmj

Veteran
Those don't resemble the root aphids I'm familiar with. Furthermore... is it me, or do those bugs have six legs instead of a mite's eight? Looks like some kind of beetle bug to me.

Yeah, those bugs not only don't have 8 legs that a mite would have, they look like stinkbugs. Could be as bad a problem for you, or worse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but root aphids are insects, so 6 legs.

All aphids have 2 cornicle (or siphuncule) that are commonly referred to as the "exhaust" tubes, which are evident in the ops pic. The pics look like classic aphids. Whether or not they are in root zone or were just observed by the soil has not been expressed, or determined by the grower. From the pics I would guess that they are not in the root zone.

Additionally, there is still debate about the exact species of "root aphids". Phylloxera (an insect) are closely related to aphids and it is quite possible that the RA that affect us are aphids related to Phylloxera. Until researchers are allowed to examine, all we can do is kill em. And help each other w successful methods.

jcom

From the pics I would guess that they are not in the root zone.

For the pictures, I gathered a few and put them on a piece of paper. The orange pic is a group of dead ones I found on the underside of my bubble bucket. I found adult flyers last night. Here are some more pics (the last one is on the end of my thumb).

Attachments

• RA1.jpg
    RA1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 7
  • RA2.jpg
    RA2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 5
  • RA4.jpg
    RA4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 6
  • RA5.jpg
    RA5.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 5

medicalmj

Veteran
p.s. - these were all found in the root zones of coco and DWC plants.

That sucks! Noticed you caught a flier. Do you think it is the same species as the root zone aphid?

Without being too specific, what part of the country (west coast, rockies, midwest, east coast) are you in (assume USA)?

I am wondering why we're getting hammered by these effers and there's a dearth of info and research about RAs in "mainstream" horticulture.

I found some Imid at a produce/nursery market that is 22% (Imidapro 2SC at $45 a quart.)and doesnt contain any other pesticides.

GL

S

SeaMaiden

Correct me if I'm wrong, but root aphids are insects, so 6 legs.

All aphids have 2 cornicle (or siphuncule) that are commonly referred to as the "exhaust" tubes, which are evident in the ops pic. The pics look like classic aphids. Whether or not they are in root zone or were just observed by the soil has not been expressed, or determined by the grower. From the pics I would guess that they are not in the root zone.

Additionally, there is still debate about the exact species of "root aphids". Phylloxera (an insect) are closely related to aphids and it is quite possible that the RA that affect us are aphids related to Phylloxera. Until researchers are allowed to examine, all we can do is kill em. And help each other w successful methods.

D'oh! The price of reading two different threads at once. I can't believe I combined my answers like that.

The first pix still resemble stinkbugs to me. I'm glad they haven't made it to California yet, but I'm sure they're on their way.

MIway

Veteran
For the pictures, I gathered a few and put them on a piece of paper. The orange pic is a group of dead ones I found on the underside of my bubble bucket. I found adult flyers last night. Here are some more pics (the last one is on the end of my thumb).

First pic looks to be a ra in a nymph form... Can't say 100% but that's how it looks to me.

Second pic is a fungus gnat... Ur flyer.

Careful though... Imid isn't 100% free from issues either.

Neo 420

Veteran
Who cares what they are !!!!!!!!!!!!! there trespassing !!! amid!!!!

Always ID your pest before you take action. You ever heard of beneficial insects?
So whenever you see a insect in your garden you nuke the shit out of plants?

Neo 420

Veteran
In my [not so] humble opinion, the only good root aphid is a dead root aphid. -granger

I agree. I have never known of a beneficial root aphid. My point was to always identify, then react. Specially in an organic garden but goes for any method of growing. Remember insects are apart of the soil food web. The problem with a lot of indoor grows is the natural predators are not present which allows the harmful to proliferate.

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
are you in flower?? def root aphids.. nasty lil demons.. IMID works.. but it is a gnarly chemical..interesting to read into. If given the choice I might just take cuts and chuck all the other plant mater and medium.. clean the hell out the room and start over..

jcom

are you in flower?? def root aphids.. nasty lil demons.. IMID works.. but it is a gnarly chemical..interesting to read into. If given the choice I might just take cuts and chuck all the other plant mater and medium.. clean the hell out the room and start over..

No, these are in our mother plants. We also have clones in early veg in the same room. We flushed all of the coco plants and did 10 min root drenches in 50ml/gallon of Bayer Citrus & Vegetable. Within about 10 mins, the rims of the pots and buckets were swarming with all stages of the little bastards. The flyers were trying to abandon ship but they were unable to fly away. Hopefully there will not be any signs of life tomorrow. We will see...

funkfingers

Long haired country boy
Veteran
No, these are in our mother plants. We also have clones in early veg in the same room. We flushed all of the coco plants and did 10 min root drenches in 50ml/gallon of Bayer Citrus & Vegetable. Within about 10 mins, the rims of the pots and buckets were swarming with all stages of the little bastards. The flyers were trying to abandon ship but they were unable to fly away. Hopefully there will not be any signs of life tomorrow. We will see...

well at least you got that going for ya. When I have dealt with them we used bayer tree and shrub, and merit.. it took a few treatments to feel like we were in the clear..

Just remember that there are still fliers that need to be dealt with they could be in your garbage or empty cans so clean everything everywhere fog if you can. I put out traps in cans with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap to drown the F--ckers put them everywhere in the house you can use juice wine anything with some sugar if you don't it only takes two to start the whole cycle again next month.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Looks like a couple diff types, but there all bad. Hopefully your treatment works well, good luck on destroying those little bastards!

TGT

Latest posts

Latest posts