What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sevin 5 dust carberyl safety and efficacy?

So I popped some seeds for the first time in a few years (was full time DWC for a couple years, with success), had what looked like fungus gnats, then things got really bad... I think I have broad/russet mites in my house.

So I have mostly given up hope on my stunted and contorted plants, but I have some questions about sevin dust.... I'm more on the "don't care" spectrum, than worried about toxins. But here is my question... Can I put it on carpet, pets? Etc.

I have a dog, and no I'm not gonna put sevin on it. But I'm curious about the stuff, because I believe I may have mites eating a Japanese maple out front, and my rose bushes have lots of new growth (red leaves) and then the subject of rose rosette disease comes up too... Also caused by mites. I don't think I have rosette btw. But my Japanese maple has new growth that looks like the mite-bitten plants in my basement.

So basically, I used a full container on my front yard, should I be worried? Is the stuff safe enough that I could have it on me and not worry? I hear people put them on chickens and even dogs. Could I spritz it on my rugs and carpets for a day or two and vacuum with a hepa filter?

I'm just paranoid about mites, and I live in a suburb that was fogged for mosquitoes last month. Also I have dreadlocks, and just thinking of mites makes my scalp crawl. I'm damn near ready to put Frontline and sevin 5 on my head to ensure a good grow.

For the record, there is no musty forests or anything for nearly a mile, and I *think* my neighborhood is pretty clean. I even avoid a disc golf course that smells musty for the same reasons.

I have advocated sevin dust, but I'm tempted to reapply every few days for the rest of the summer. I'm just worried that weekly applications will make my pets or neighbors sick etc. Any NON-Hippies that want to be objective about it's safety? I mean if you use glass water bottles, I don't wanna hear it. I have been ACTUALLY poisoned by a neighbor bug bombing his house a lymph node swole to the point that I went to the doctor to look for a hernia....

There ain't no bees after the mosquito fogging in my neighborhood btw... It is what it is.

Should I add mosquito dunks to my mulch beds? More sevin? I have insecticidal soap, but it hasn't ever impressed me.

Sorry if I seem frantic, I just think I have a long summer ahead of me.... And my girls haven't grown in weeks, just sitting there not growing or visibily dying.

Thanks in advance for any honest opinions!

G

IF you have a dog and use that shit in your home and expose the dog to it your should be taken out back and beat with a rubber hose. Dogs pads absorb anything. Or better yet if you gonna use it use it on YOURSELF as well eh !!! Does that give you pause ??? Why ? if your trying to justify some fucked up logic its kind of ok for everything else including the dog why not brush your teeth with it ???? I cant believe what people think is OK for pets but wouldnt dream of using it on themselves due to toxicity concerns. You should not have pets. And Im anything but a eco warrior loon. Just a person who has common sense which you seem to lack.

Well, I have honestly considered using it on the carpet and it's currently on the front yard.

Obviously I have walked my dog via the back yard. But bear in mind, they fogged the neighborhood about three weeks ago, and they will again in about a month. They do the whole city. Just a pickup truck driving around with a device hissing in the bed.

Obviously I would quarantine anything that received any kind of treatment, and I watered the front yard 36 hours later.

I'm just trying to be half responsible, that's why I'm asking. People seem to use this stuff for lots of things.

Good to know about the dog paws, I carry my dog over hot asphalt at least, and observe them when given flea meds.

And no I have never put it on a dog, come on. I'm just saying that I have heard of country folks using it on their dogs. Putting it on chickens makes tons of sense, chickens are filthy, and I'm aware that people dust them and their coops with all kinds of stuff they wouldn't put on their pets.

Sounds like the safety precautions of carberyl involves breathing it in, as the only unique instructions for it are to use the liquid sevin if using above your head.

I guess what I'm alluding to, is how can I kill mite eggs? Because sounds like a day or two of sevin will kill any insects that are alive, but I'm worried about the life cycle starting up again.

For the sake of comedy, no I didn't wear a mask when applying the sevin...

Edit: I'm more concerned about the dogs than my health. They don't grow, so they should have no skin in the game.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
You can purchase a product called sterifab it's used in the medical industry it's a disinfectant and insecticide that leaves no residuals so after it dries it's safe.

It is alcohol based and great product, I use it for all grow related disinfecting applications. Not for plant use just for cleaning purposes.

Thanks!

And sorry guys, the ingredient in Sevin is Carbaryl, not "carberyl".

From my reading, as long as it's small amounts of Carbaryl, it's probably no big deal.

I had a link to a .edu and it had a summary of experiments on rats. Sounds like you don't wanna breathe it, as it causes fluid in lungs. Apparently even with heavy amounts on your skin, it takes about 24 hours to get mild disiness, and a very very minute risk of cancer, like 1:3,000,000.
And rats that were fed large amounts daily had reduced offspring, and juvenile rats had delayed brain development when fed daily.

Half life is 4 days in water, 16 days on soil surface, 21 days in sunlight but with no water. On leaves it is less than four days somehow. Interestingly, it lasts up to 72 days in deep soil with low oxygen.

Having read that, I would honestly feel comfortable dusting carpet if I vaccumed and later shampooed, as well as keep the dogs off it. No problem at all. Not saying I wouldn't just use something else, but simply saying I still don't think reasonable contact is a big deal.

And on the subject of dog paws, I bet half of the nice lawns my dogs cut into have pesticides. We have walking paths BEHIND our houses, as opposed to out front. The first few feet off the path are easement, so fair game for dogs peeing.
There's a golf course nearby, on top of suburbs... I bet the grass is just pure toxins around here... Nothing natural at all, except for musty woods!
:shucks:

Last edited:

panick503

Damn it's crazy what some people do with pesticides. With a good spraying schedule and some discipline, plant therapy or green cleaner can treat any problem. Or sure, just nuke your pupper with Sevin lmfao

Damn it's crazy what some people do with pesticides. With a good spraying schedule and some discipline, plant therapy or green cleaner can treat any problem. Or sure, just nuke your pupper with Sevin lmfao

I assure you I will keep the dogs away from it. I had mites indoors and outdoors though. The sevin I DID use indoors, was in my basement, and the dogs don't go down those stairs PERIOD. I PROMISE! I did the grow box and nothing else.

I have some insecticidal soap, but it always wilts my plants regardless of lightning indoors and out, so I used the sevin since I'm in veg and in tiny pots less than a gallon, which I can surely flush before even getting well into flower. Plus with Covid, I just grabbed the sevin since I was at home depot. It's not my long term solution.

I have fluid in my lungs as it is. I'm not trying to smoke sevin. But the fluid is caused by a lung infection from a dust storm years ago. It's better now but not 100% lung capacity.. something to be said for "Killing everything" ey?