What's new

D-Limonene, anyone use it, what for?

al-k-mist

My thoughs were for insects, at a super diluted ratio...but i heard one person say it burned his shit up on the test plants
seems like a natural and simple (local, for some, more local than india) solution
Not experiencing any pests RIGHT NOW, or Id try

incedently, D-Limonene is just the oil expressed from the orange rinds, a byproduct of orange juice...then filtered. voila, a 'solvent' than can replace xylene and toluene in many extractions found online, as well as cleaning stuff better than hydrocarbons.

ICMaggotMe

My thoughs were for insects, at a super diluted ratio...but i heard one person say it burned his shit up on the test plants
seems like a natural and simple (local, for some, more local than india) solution
Not experiencing any pests RIGHT NOW, or Id try

incedently, D-Limonene is just the oil expressed from the orange rinds, a byproduct of orange juice...then filtered. voila, a 'solvent' than can replace xylene and toluene in many extractions found online, as well as cleaning stuff better than hydrocarbons.

al-k-mist,

D-limonene has many biological activities. This is from Dr. Dukes ethnobotanical data base: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/

If it burned your friend's plants, he most likely used to much.

picture.php

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Interesting.......yet is it comparable to standard organic options like neem as far as availability and cost effectiveness?. Or perhaps what if it has a quality that could break molting cycles in mites for example...just saying....ya don't know until you try.

Last edited:

ICMaggotMe

Interesting.......yet is it comparable to standard organic options like neem as far as availability and cost effectiveness?. Or perhaps what if it has a quality that could break molting cycles in mites for example...just saying....ya don't know until you try.

Well.......d-limonene is not found in as many plants as limonene but the list of botanical activities of limonene is far more extensive than that of d-limonene.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/duke/chem-activities.pl

The list of plants with limonene is impressive and contains many of the culinary herbs we already use in our IPM programs. I'm really going to have to give celery a go:)

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/duke/highchem.pl

O

OrganicOzarks

I use it in the yard for ticks and fleas. It is 1 of 4 things I have in rotation.

SupraSPL

Surprisingly if you squish those tiny ants that get in the house they smell strongly like spray paint or goo gone. Apparently they have limonene in them. So it makes sense as an insect repellent.

sticky367

Among the 49 essential oils tested, palmarosa (Cymbopogon martini), red thyme (Thymus zygis), cinnamon leaf (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), and clove buds (Eugenia caryophyllata) demonstrated the most antifungal activity against B. cinerea. The most frequently occurring constituents in essential oils showing high antifungal activity were: D-limonene, cineole; β-myrcene; α-pinene, β-pinene; and camphor.

Sorry for not citing this its from a paper online

I am wondering if anyone has experimented with this as an antifungal or pest control

shredGnar

There are many that use botanical oils in their IPM's. I would like to learn more about it as well.

I spray with silica in my aact and believe it helps with bud rot and PM.

Hopefully others will chime in

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
hmm interesting.

coot always talked about linalool being the most important element in the organic miticide arsenal.

I'd be interested in seeing some experiments!

sticky did you come across anything in that paper about invertebrates response to d-limonene?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry for not citing this its from a paper online

Well you know what they say, you can stuff your sorries in a sack.

:D

Rapid Evaluation of Plant Extracts and Essential Oils for Antifungal Activity Against Botrytis cinerea

Oh right, there was also a question. Watch out with those three oils, they're very phytotoxic. Test on sacrificial plants. Emulsification has to be on point, this isn't salad dressing. Really wish I could recall the concentration used, but it was around/below 0.1% for a rough point of reference.