What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's talk about bike's. Commuter, mountain, old school, etc

Dready_jake

I was recently gifted a 91' diamond back override. Its a hybrid from right before they made a 'hybrid class'.I absolutely love the thing, its as old as I am and its good both on and off road. Since I got it I've been riding like crazy trying to get back into better shape and get ready for the snowboard season. Plus I've been using it to get around and save gas. Crazy fun here in Colorado.

So let's talk about your cool retro bikes, expensive roadies or rock climbing mountain bikes, or even biking experiences and close calls. Anything bike related is welcome!

"Bike lane, bike lane!!"-spike from Portlandia

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I sold my bike before I moved to my new spot... it was wearing me out anyhow.. mongoose full suspension 4 link think it was called ..big fat tires ...pain in the ass to pedal as suspension and tires seems to absorb the energy and you couldn't coast long... but smooth ass ride. and you could jump off anything you wanted with ease....looking for something with bigger thinner tires and simple I don't need so many damn gears and fancy shit...yeehaw

Dready_jake

Ya fixies are simple. One gear BUT its not so easy. The pedals never stop moving unless you're sitting still. Apparently in one vid it said the pedals could throw you over the handlebars on a fixie.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
I ride a Giant mtb. I took the dirt tires off and put smoothies on. I'm 67 and ride 10 miles a day, it keeps me in shape and thinking young. Don't stop riding!!:dance013:
I bought a Raliegh Compitition, in 1970, paid $220.00 for it. That was a lot of money then I had just gotten out of the army, it was Compagnolo equiped, both derailors and forks. It was a great bike once you got used to the Brooks leather saddle, they didn't have padded shorts then either. Rode the hell out of that bike,lived in Hawaii then sold itvwehen I moved to Idaho in 73, wish I still had it.

Dready_jake

I ride a Giant mtb. I took the dirt tires off and put smoothies on. I'm 67 and ride 10 miles a day, it keeps me in shape and thinking young. Don't stop riding!!:dance013:
I bought a Raliegh Compitition, in 1970, paid $220.00 for it. That was a lot of money then I had just gotten out of the army, it was Compagnolo equiped, both derailors and forks. It was a great bike once you got used to the Brooks leather saddle, they didn't have padded shorts then either. Rode the hell out of that bike,lived in Hawaii then sold itvwehen I moved to Idaho in 73, wish I still had it.

Completely agree! Gotta do something to stay in shape.

And that's what I love about my bike l. Its as old as me and keeps up with newer bikes. Heavy as hell though.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I grew up riding a bike carrying the boston globe with a shoulder bag and three baskets..two in back one in front.. ... sundays were a bitch..my biking skills have remained since I was a kid.. I was thinking just a few gears.. think my last had like 21 or some shit.. thumb switches.. looking to even out my kayaking upper body routine..even though my legs get workout being used as stabilizers on sides of yak as they are locked in...yeehaw

Sisu

Veteran
I've got an early 90s GT All Terra mtb. No shocks, I've thought about adding a fork. Not a lot of opportunities nearby here but hope to be riding it more soon, in different digs. I'm mostly a runner, but recent MCL problems have me thinking about cycling again, at least for variety.

dubberz

In April I got myself one of these:
Cube-Curve-Pro-Cross-Bike-2015-black-silver-blue_b2.jpg

It's a German bike, moderately priced, but well made and assembled for sure.

I use it for going from A to B; sometimes I ride it to work (10 miles each way), and for 'recreational exercise' - just going out for a ride.

Here in Scandinavia, the weather isn't always welcoming, but I try to get out as much as possible.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have 4 surlys,im a full time bike commuter and avid mountain biker...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

LemonStank

I have an American Flyer mid or late 80s road bike I scored off CL a while back for cheap. Got an older bicycle because my other bike was stolen quick or what I think was quick. Googled american flyer brand and there was a movie or something in the 80s with Kevin Costner about bikes. I think I have that one.

Besides being high and learning that quick release wheels need checking or a cool faceplant ensues, it's been awesome. A guy got to see it happen randomly getting out his car and I rode back home with good concussion and face messed.

Swear after thirty years old face plants become a more intensive healing process. Also like number 35 noticeable concussion for me which has me feeling a beat up football player.

Next wheel I get will not be quick release. I carry two bike locks cause in metro it's like that with the bums around. One bike two chains.

CoCoSativas

I was recently gifted a 91' diamond back override. Its a hybrid from right before they made a 'hybrid class'.I absolutely love the thing, its as old as I am and its good both on and off road. Since I got it I've been riding like crazy trying to get back into better shape and get ready for the snowboard season. Plus I've been using it to get around and save gas. Crazy fun here in Colorado.

So let's talk about your cool retro bikes, expensive roadies or rock climbing mountain bikes, or even biking experiences and close calls. Anything bike related is welcome!

"Bike lane, bike lane!!"-spike from Portlandia

I don't ride bikes anymore, Longboards for me but your bikes a good year same as me! Lol 91 coco...

jefe noche

Ohh ya!! I started out on Klein hardtails and moved up to a Kona Stinky Primo downhill rig. Late ninties to early 2000's here.

djimb

Veteran
Unc, those are some nice looking Surlys. With tires like that, I bet you glide over just about any obstacles you come across.

A couple years ago I had three road bikes and enough spare parts to build up another frame or two.
My favorite was a Nishiki Tri-A. It had tight geometry and was made of Tange 1 double butted chromoly. I built the wheels with Campagnolo Nuovo Record hubs and Campy Moskva rims. The rest of the hardware was Shimano 600 tricolor. It weighed all of 19lbs fully assembled. I used to ride 30+ miles a day on that bike, but I travelled with it for a while and ended up too broke to bring it back from mexico. I still miss it.
I also had a Peugeot px-10 from 1972 that I found at a thrift shop for like $50, and a Raleigh technium aluminum road bike. I sold the Peugot to get to Ecuador, and gave the Raleigh to a friend.
Now I get in about 6-10 miles on most days on a stock Bianchi Sport SS, riding to and from work and running errands. I really want to do some work on it, but living abroad for a year put a dent in my income and my savings... I'm planning on slowly replacing parts and then getting a nice frame to hang the components on. First step: wheels.

Latest posts

Latest posts