What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Kindness NYCD BHO run

Hi everyone! Here is how I make my BHO. This is about 2 oz of New York City Sour Diesel, buds only, that I grew and cured myself (3 month cure). Why did this make it into a BHO run? My husband thought it was the jar of dj short's blueberry that we got recently that I wasn't impressed with and had decided to make a pure strain bho run from buds, but alas, instead of blueberry BHO, I have NYCD BHO. There are certainly worse things in life right?

The tube that I use to make BHO is just a metal tube that has a flat end, which is also where I have my screen. I used a fine wire mesh screen, and the top is from an old soda can with a small hole punctured in it. I used Vector brand butane which is quintuple distilled and runs about $8 a can, and I used 2 cans for this 1 run of 2 oz of the NYCD.

In the end, after a long purge, which inclused a hot water bath and then going on top of the stove for a tiny bit to get the best purged oil possible. I have to post pict after pict in thumbnail form, so give me a few to get it all up and done.

When I make my hard candies I will post picts of that process also.

Attachments

• nycd harvest.jpg
    nycd harvest.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4
  • top of bho tube pict 001.jpg
    top of bho tube pict 001.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 9
  • the tools prep 1.jpg
    the tools prep 1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 8
  • bho prep 2.jpg
    bho prep 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 5
From the 2 cans of vector butane I got 5.5g of nicely purged BHO.

Here is the butane being added and starting to drip out of the bottom of the tube.

Attachments

• bho start drip pict 6.jpg
    bho start drip pict 6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 7
  • adding butane pict 5.jpg
    adding butane pict 5.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 10
  • adding butane 1 pict 4.jpg
    adding butane 1 pict 4.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 5
  • bho tube prep 3.jpg
    bho tube prep 3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 5
Here are more pictures of the butane expressing through the dried buds in my home made tube. I think the tube might have been off of a coffee table?

And a picture of the cap of the tube. It is a screw cap type of thing, which is what I take off to pack the tube full of buds or trim, and the fine wire mesh screen is on the other side, so the honey oil in the end doesn't get contaminated by debris.

I used a large turkey roasting pan full of really hot tap water to put the milk jug in witht he butane mixture. I like to use the plastic milk jug that has been opened on the top for easier handeling during the purging process (no water gets into the extract) and it is surprisingly easy to remove the BHO from the bottom of the jug.

Attachments

• purging 1 pict 9.jpg
    purging 1 pict 9.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 10
  • cap to bho tube.jpg
    cap to bho tube.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 8
  • before purge pict8.jpg
    before purge pict8.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 11
  • bho expressing pict7.jpg
    bho expressing pict7.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 8
These are pictures of the purging process in the roasting pan.

After I was done purging I put the milk jug into the freezer and then with a metal spoon i banged the jug around and the BHO was frozen and the BHO crystalized and broke up, which I then put on a peice of wax paper. I then put a cookie sheet on top of the stove on high heat for just a second and then put the bho crystals on the wax paper on top of the cookie sheet until the BHO melted all together, and I saw the rest of the butane fumes burn off of the final product.

I repeat the process of scraping the BHOout of the milk jug and onto the wax paper and melting the crystals together, and then finally freezing the BHO so it is easier to handle in the end.

Attachments

• purging pict 10.jpg
    purging pict 10.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8
  • purging bho pict 11.jpg
    purging bho pict 11.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 10
  • finish purge pict 12.jpg
    finish purge pict 12.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6
  • nycd bho.jpg
    nycd bho.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 8
And then this is what I am left with in the end, to smoke, or to cook with.

There is nothing like loading up a bowl of your favorite strain and topping it off with lots of shards of BHO, melting and soaking the buds slowly withthe BHO and sitting back and relaxing in a hot bubble bath and toking on a huge BHO soaked bowl of buds.

In fact, that's what I'm going to go and do right now, load myself up a bowl of New York City Sour Diesel and top it with some NYCD BHO, run a super hot bath and add some bath salts in it and sit back and relax and toke.

Attachments

• nycd bho 5.5g.jpg
    nycd bho 5.5g.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 8

Govinda

Never seen BHO made in a milk jug before, ya think that's safe? I try to stick with nothing but glass and stainless. It's some prime looking heady crystal though, brah.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Hi everyone! Here is how I make my BHO. This is about 2 oz of New York City Sour Diesel, buds only, that I grew and cured myself (3 month cure). Why did this make it into a BHO run?

i dont understand your question, what else would you do with the bud? i make like pretty much all my buds into oil, seems a waste not to :)

Normally my nice cured buds I leave alone in the jar to smoke. My intention was to turn the blueberry I had gotten from a friend recently that wasn't that great and turn it into bho as I didn't like th taste of this particular sample of bluebrry (which normally is one of my favorite strains).

I did end up doing a run of BHO using the blueberry and the BHO made with the NYCD teilded much more and tasted better too.

Milk jugs are safe to use, you drink milk right? It ends up on the wax paper in the freezer for storage anyways.

I am certainly enjoying smoking bho soaked buds (my fave thing in the world) and plan on making bho candies tomorrow or the next day depending on how I feel, as my health is playing tricks on me lately.

C

cannagirl

I have smoked her NYCD and its the shit, I can wait to try her NYCD BHO. We will hook up this week for sure DK...cheers!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
ya if you are smoking lots of oil soaked buds your health may go for a spin. i find SMOKING pure resins for very long always kills my lungs etc. vaporizing them is less hard on a person.

Milk jugs are safe to use, you drink milk right?

Milk isnt an solvent, although im sure the jug is semi safe to use as it is HPDE2 plastic, I still think that using plastic with any solvent should be avoided unless you dont care about your health.

on another note....if you care about your health then look into dry sieve or bubble.

have a good day :D

P

Puddin'tane

Nice looking oil DK! Seeing it done in a milk jug is new to me. Does it just peel right off?

No it won't just peel out, I freeze after the first hot water purge, then it's easy to get it out of the container and onto wax paper for the final purge (on a cookie sheet over heat on a burner to get nice glass) then back into the freezer for storage.

Cannagirl- I've been saving some of the NYCD BHO for ya, but I also made the dj short's blueberry bho and then several runs of mixed trim and water buds and whole buds from seed/breeding projects. My freezer is almost filled with exclusively different types of bho wrapped in wax paper.. probably about an oz of bho total...

I'm not into making oil any longer, and think it's increadibly stupid to do, even outside. However, IF you do have to make it, follow these simple rules.

1. Blow 12 cans of tane to 4 oz of pot material
2. Purge the butane from your oil, in your pictures your oil is NOT finished. You can either purge by adding water to a slowly heating pyrex container filled with oil. 1 tsp per 10g of oil, the water evapes off with the excess butane that you THINK is gone... OR let the oil sit out for a few days until flaky. Do not put into freezer before doing either. Of course, if you do the above, you'll be able to handle the oil at room temp and won't have any further need to put said oil into the freezer....

3. I know what I'm talking about. Just don't make oil... Get yourself an eight bag set of hash bags and find the full melt bag... The rest is great for cooking.

http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=147499

Duckmang

The plastic jug is a non issue, I've seen milk jugs hold plenty of aggressive non-polar solvents just fine. The plastic makes for easier recovery of the product. Nicely frozen the fresh BHO won't stick to the jug and with a bit of distortion of the jug most just flakes right off. The rest can be coerced pretty easy but the spoon used has to be frozen too. Beats the hell out of scraping fresh room temp oil, IMHO.

C

cannagirl

Awesome DK I wait to try out your new stuff. We will try to get together this week.

Blinks- WTF? 12 CAN of butane for 4 oz? NO WAY! 2 cans for 2 oz yields me 5-6g of oil every time.

My oil IS purged, it is GLASS, I store in in the freezer because I have retarded dogs that love to sniff pot and dog hair, so they stay on the wax paper in the freezer compartment that I use only to store my oils, no cross contamination. I can pick up my oil and peel it off the wax paper and have a hard brittle sheet of amber glass.

After the hot water purge, if you read, it goes in the freezer to harden it up for removal from the milk jug and then onto wax paper then the wax paper goes on top of a cookie sheet and I turn the burner on and let the rest of the butane burn off for a few minutes, then it gets removed and goes into the freezer for storage, no dust particles, no dog hair, nice and clean like I like things.

By no means is it not purged correctly.

My vaporizor's whip is stuck to it for some reason. I've used my vaporizor to smoke dry sift and keif, it's ok,l but the relief I get from the concentrates is much greater.

I also end up using a lot of my BHO in hard candies, and BHO hitting 300F sugar, will be sure that there is no residual butane in the product.

I did make the mistake last weekend at a concert of eating 4 of my BHO lollipops over 4 hours, I had to call my husband to pick me up early right as the band I had specifically come to see was setting up because I was way too stoned to be in public.

gordonliu

>never taken an NMR of of a substance that has been worked up using PE or PP stored solvents.

it is well known, to all organic chemists, that "grease" is a major contaminant in most chemical reactions. grease is a catch all term that refers to any compound that is characterized by the presence of large numbers of methyl and methylene protons.

methylene and methyl 1H shifts are never used as to identify a compound in an NMR because of this fact.

most chemists store several common solvents in a supposedly solvent safe squeeze bottle (typicall DI h2o, CH2CL2, ethyl acetate, hexanes, MeOH, acetone, and possibly ether)

yes. the plastic dissolves. it does not dissolve readily, but it does dissolve.

the PDI of these common plastics is usually >2.5, there are plenty of short chains that dissolve readily in common aliphatic hydrocarbon solvents. Indeed, even methanol will dissolve some of the shorter ones.

but...

no. when ingested (eaten) the small amount of dissolved plastic will not harm you, but if you SMOKE large amounts of compounds that have been susceptible to this type of contaminant, you are definitely inhaling burned hydrocarbons.