What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

removing ceiling tiles/insulation to let the cold attic air down?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
is this a stoner thought? i have a building with acoustic ceiling tiles and a metric fuck ton of insulation batting on top. its keeping the cold attic air out of my room right now and the AC is still running all the time.

the room is sealed and will be adding CO2 in a couple days.

any thoughts on this? i know heat rises and cold air falls, as well as the CO2 is heavier than air and would stay down in the grow zone. i think between the cold air coming in and a small recirculating scrubber i could mitigate some of my cooling costs but is it practical or worth it lol

Attachments

• IMG_20171103_214041.jpg
    IMG_20171103_214041.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 7

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
is this a stoner thought? i have a building with acoustic ceiling tiles and a metric fuck ton of insulation batting on top. its keeping the cold attic air out of my room right now and the AC is still running all the time.

the room is sealed and will be adding CO2 in a couple days.

any thoughts on this? i know heat rises and cold air falls, as well as the CO2 is heavier than air and would stay down in the grow zone. i think between the cold air coming in and a small recirculating scrubber i could mitigate some of my cooling costs but is it practical or worth it lol
you do not mention what ambient temps you have or are trying to obtain but sealed CO2 grows are supposed to be run in the mid 80*F to 90*F.. how warm is it in that room?

troutman

Seed Whore
Here's the problem with your cooling plan.

If moist warm air rises into your cold attic what do you think will happen?

Yeah, moisture will form all over the place and the process of rot and black mold will
begin. Never intentionally drive humidity in an attic or you'll pay the price later on. I
think you better just vent in some cold air thru a wall instead.

Check this out.

https://donan.com/knowledge-base/article/attic-ventilation-problems-2/

queequeg152

Veteran
Here's the problem with your cooling plan.

If moist warm air rises into your cold attic what do you think will happen?

Yeah, moisture will form all over the place and the process of rot and black mold will
begin. Never intentionally drive humidity in an attic or you'll pay the price later on. I
think you better just vent in some cold air thru a wall instead.

Check this out.

https://donan.com/knowledge-base/article/attic-ventilation-problems-2/

i agree with the sentiment, but thats not necessarily true.

if were talking about some sort of steel building with an office space retrofitted in, the roof might be well ventilated as is common place in hot humid climates.

the fact that he has insulation onto of his drop ceiling and not at the roof deck suggests this is a possibility.

but yea, regardless you dont want to ventilate into an attic space becasue of the condensation issues that can crop up.

also remember that many commercial buildings use the cavity above the drop ceiling as a plenum space. if you start running hot humid air up into the plenum you are going to be redistributing this air all throughout the building

MudDuck

I do green energy rating stuff as career
I would highly recommend against your proposal.
You would regret this move for a multitude of reasons including but not limited to: fiberglass on finished buds, increased stack effect and odor concerns.

If your attic is cold, so is the air outside.
Run a 12" hole to outside and use a can fan to supply cold air.

I'm curious to know about the acoustic tiles... Is this the only ceiling above your grow environment? Or do you have anything like drywall etc?

install a small fan from attic to your grow space and turn it on off based on temps. Use a duct to pull air from attic to your grow space.

bestothebest

If you have snow in winter this is a definite no. melted snow on a roof in the middle of winter is very suspicious.

Latest posts

Latest posts