What's new

only for the experts!!!

how much importance do quality genetics play in good marijuana? i was recently banned from chat for a arguement about this. i say 90% is genetics 10% enviorment. were are the experts so we can debat this

Colina

It's a trick question :)

You can't make chicken salad from chicken shit, that's true.

On the other hand, a novice gardener can ruin just about anything.

guineapig

Veteran
It is probably 50/50, depending on who the grower is.....

There are a few people out there who have a magical gift with plants......i swear they possess some magical powers that bring out the terpenes and swell the trichomes.....

Beginners can produce awesome flowers, if given the proper mentoring and guidance....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

It's a trick question :)

You can't make chicken salad from chicken shit, that's true.

On the other hand, a novice gardener can ruin just about anything.

that is true. but comeon weed is well a weed. it will grow anywere.

heres a better example...you have a sour diesel plant in a pot sitting by a windowsill getting spring sunlight grown in reg ass soil with no particular care but watering when needed. then you take some common brick weed seeds snd you grow them out hydroponicly with the best nutes h.i.d. lighting co2 the works. which will be better.

i know the diesel will be. why?????......because thats what its been bred to do.

GENETICS!!!!!!!

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beginners can produce awesome flowers, if given the proper mentoring and guidance....

...and good genetics...:D

"i was recently banned from chat for a arguement about this."

????
I can´t chat....only white screen..:mad:

Colina

I don't know man,

All weed is not a weed, that's just not true. Lots of folks can't even get past sprouting very well with very high quality genetics, then they of course blame the genetics. They would have been much better off with that Mexican, which truly does grow like a weed. Then at least they'd of had something maybe. To the expert grower though whose environment is more of a given, genetics are everything, not 90%, everything.

Last edited:
Asking for "experts" is a bit ambiguous but id say, and maybe not with the same ratio that gentetics make up the majority. I dont think that the ratio is necessarily the same between all plants but in my experience i have had plants that under a 12/12 light cycle from seed grew a tall plant with nice even branches and good size colas with a light density. The other plant i had was a squat plant that branced only because i accidentily snapped the stem and it provided me with super dense rock hard buds. This plant was no where near the light in comparison to the other. Mind you both plants grew from a fixed position into a fixed light. some training was done. Mostly with the first plant because it grew so huge.

big sativa plant with a sexy cerebral high that pulled in to a great body buzz no ceiling and smooth great taste
229870908070721b.jpg

229870912070803.jpg

This is a nice little indica. Reminded me a lot of OG as far as taste and smell but wasnt as frosty. These buds were like little rocks.
229871021072207a.jpg

i wil say potency is not much if at all effected by enviorment as much as your yield will suffer. and schwagg grows well anywere. i have had no problem growing dank bud to be dank by doing the above method. all you gotta do is follow the sun from one end of the house to the next. i bet the sun will outyield any 250 wat hps wich is what i got. you get all the benifits of an outdoor grown plant with all the comforts of indoor.

at the same time i got a buddy that grows from bagseed that has a nice smell and taste but is not dank. he grows it out seedless indoors ebb and flow tables and it even looks nice better then the bag it came from. but its not dank. he even sells it for dank and people buy it has dank mostly young kids.but its not dank i wouldnt pay 50 an 1/8 for it. it doesnt smoke has good has it looks. i recently gave him some sour d. seeds that have sprouted. do you think he will notice the diffrence? i do!!!!

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I n I nah expert,, but 50:50 sounds about right. You can give an idiot the best seeds or a good grower low grade seeds,, both might get something nice to smoke out of it. Give or take :wink:

has long has the "idiot" keeps light on it and water in it nothing bad could happen. its not hard to grow weed at all. "almost" anyone could do it. i know for a fact great weed grown in simple ass but still good and easy to achieave conditions will be better then ok weed grown in the best conditions anyday of the week!!!! if you cant agree on that then can you agree that great weed grown in good condition will be better then good weed grown in the same conditions. i have found that genetics play the biggest role.

Simply put, genetics are the limiting factor. You can only go as far as the genetics can, not farther without breeding. On the other hand...if you give a newb what I call good genetics...he might not have anything since chances of fatality are high..so what r good genetics is variable and dependent on other factors.

Really it cant be expressed numerically like many other things in life.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's lots of definitions in there.. many of which depend on opinion.

IMO , being a "good grower" isn't always about acquired knowledge only,, some people are naturally good growers... or green fingered. :canabis:

Good seeds come from a good base of genetic parent stock and some growers get on with certain seeds/breeders better than others.

C

Cinderella99

I am no expert...

I am no expert...

But here's another way of looking at it...

We're all going to grow to the best of our ability within constructed grow environments regardless of what strain we have...(although perhaps specific strains may be better suited yo our particular environments/levels of expertise)

However, given that we are going to give each grow the best shot we can, genetics seem to be the variable here, eh?

Miss chitown on the lake in the summertime :)

Miss chitown on the lake in the summertime :)[/QUOTE]

lake michigan sure is nice in the summer you can smoke bud all day and no one will say shit. montrose beach is nice!!!!

i really do think it is more genetics. i think "some of us" would just like to think that were really good growers because we grew out some dank strain to be dank. i donno.... anything bred out to be a certain way will be that way. otherwise why bother to even breed. im sure you could teach a monkey to leave a plant outside in the sun or indoors under the light and water it every so days.....

Q

qanabose

seed co propaganda will lead you to believe what will make profit for seed cos...

Here in the Nimbin area of Australia, there has been a national and international fame built on outstanding power to potency since way back before all the dutch breeds hit the market and cannabis cups were ever thought of...

that being said,

firey weed can't come from hemp seeds but the advent of dutch genetics has improved the novices chances of obtaining optimum results for minimum experience...

that being said,

the fiercest potency cannot be obtained from strains that are too soft to withstand the elements and have to be taken early to avoid mold.

A good landrace strain devoid of modern genetic tampering and cross breeding will enable the grower to drag out the ripening process beyond what you'll ever achieve with modern genetics and will allow an experienced grower to take full advantage of the power of sun and soil and will outstrip potency of these mod strains hands down.

Ripe buds of a good landrace go way beyond the amber trichome lullabies of the sissy set and can produce potency like few people today have ever experienced. This is about organic growing with minimal nitrogen and sweating the buds out till they color tint. The process goes from tinting out the bottom shadow leaves through to the top and finally from the head leaves to the buds themselves.

Such golden and brown Autumn colors are obtained in the buds themselves and it becomes the formula that every day longer the bud remains ripening, the more power the final smoke takes on.

I've produced such landrace bud here in the subtropics that delivers a definite 8 hour stone that won't allow you to pick up a phone or answer a door in that time for fear of the mess that you're in.

Few of the old school growers left these days, but many feared the advent of dutch genetics and wouldn't allow the pollen to come within coowee of them. I've heard the old timers here say that their old landrace strains produce leaf that is more potent than the bud of the modern gear.

But then again, watch the teenage flamers and indoor growers go bolistic over this

Nothing like that good old dope from the 70's!!! And then the art's been lost and we have a world full of lazy growers that depend on soft dutchy genetics to do all the quick miracle for them.

QB

Last edited:

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
the questions should be: genetic or bredder???

Give two Breeder the same Landraces...one might make a beast, the other may stay near to the Landrace............
for sure what do u do with the seeds depents on the grower(u can learn to grow fine)...
but good genetics are good...and bads are bad....

L

levant

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to qanabose again."

Seriously great post!
I think most "decent" genetics can and will produce excellent pot if grown right (grown how gb has described).
If you have top quality genetics, like say some landrace Malawi from Africa, and grow this in a way to bring out its true genetic potential (again refer back to gb's post)
Then you are on the level of the 8 hour can't pick up the phone stone.

Hydroponic systems, chemicals, added c02 etcetc is not the way to grow this sort of weed, and since a lot of the seedbank strains today have been inbred in this sort of environment, we have adaption (so the genetics change to suit the environment) so you see, genetics and environment are not so seperate, but synonymous.

Latest posts

Latest posts