What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

funkyhorse

Hi funkyhorse, thanks so much for the detailed reply. Yours looks great! I have access to banana bark so will try that. The only bamboo around here is that enormous one and I don't really have enough to fill it properly. Japanese bamboo would be perfect but I don't know of any around here.

It is winter here so I thought of putting it in a crock pot for initial heat. Lack of heat worries me slightly with fermentation at least in the initial stages. I make my own kimchi for example and that needs salt. I think for fermentation to be safe you need either salt or heat, but maybe I'm worrying for no reason.
If you have access to banana bark, means you are in a hot enough area and you wont have problems
The crock pot maybe is good in Tasmania or Melbourne, but wherever banana tree grows is hot enough so you wont need it
In life in general my experience is this: the more complicated things are, the less real they are and the results are not as good as with simple things
I had your same worries, I tried vacuuming the bark brick, wraping the bark on nylon for extra heat and results were not good

This is not kimchi. At this part of the world escabeche is made but this is different, it is more related to tobacco way of fermenting
At our southern hemisphere winter we have enough days reaching 25C, I have peaks of 30C
For the initial fermenting process is enough heat, just place your brick in a carton box and thats enough, dont forget you are not fermenting it super express with a yoghurt maker, this is slow but sure
Low tech and simple as it can be. Just wrap your brick tight with bark, place it a sunny place outdoors inside a carton box for some extra heat and dryness, a roof or something like that is a good place to put your brick and let nature do her thing. No need salt and the current winter heat is good for a long and slow fermentation process. When temperatures pick up in spring it starts drying the whole thing and curing

I post this video again for whoever didnt see it
The technique is called perique, this is how sailors made their tobacco
What we are doing with the bark is perique ganja and probably most brick I saw in my life is perique method without the oak barrel

Look at how similar to cob this is, I dont think is a coincidence

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Funkyhorse, great post again. Really interesting about the perique technique! I looked it up and it is smoked but also used to be chewed which puts my mind somewhat at ease. I will be eating cob, not smoking it.

I live in a sub tropical climate. Temps in winter are slightly cooler generally than yours. A typical winter day would be about 19-24 and an overnight of 8-12, but of course goes lower and higher. We've got some warmer days on the way and my cannabis is still a little wet so will start in the next couple of days. I could actually get it warmer if I left it on the car dash.

I grow tumeric and I am maybe tempted to wrap it in tumeric leaves (which are edible).

Last edited:

Taima-da

Hi funkyhorse, thanks so much for the detailed reply. Yours looks great! I have access to banana bark so will try that. The only bamboo around here is that enormous one and I don't really have enough to fill it properly. Japanese bamboo would be perfect but I don't know of any around here.

It is winter here so I thought of putting it in a crock pot for initial heat. Lack of heat worries me slightly with fermentation at least in the initial stages. I make my own kimchi for example and that needs salt. I think for fermentation to be safe you need either salt or heat, but maybe I'm worrying for no reason.

Works just fine at ambient, just takes longer, which is not really a worry.
Bigger or moister cobs start more easily but I think if your in the tropics you're gold.
I would aim at a slow ferment so you have a little more control to start with.

Four hours on a car dash would be plenty to initiate the process

Tangwena

Veteran
I have been testing about 8 cobs I made from Colombian Gold x Demon latcher in January.
So far this is the favorite it has a nice bloom of sparkling salts on the surface.
Doesn't smell very loud and just dissolves in my mouth when chewed.
The high is fast paced and comes on very quickly lasting for over 8 hours on a good chew of half a gram.
The high has no sedation and is quite trippy in half a gram doses a real cocaine cowboy high ha ha.

img_3079-web.jpg
img_3080-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
So far my favorite effect is from this seeded Mulanje of mine from a grow of Mulanje and Mulanje Gold.
The Mulanje Gold smells great very aromatic and tastes just as good only a little peppery.
The high is very fast acting and driven full of energy and power.

But this Mulanje x Mulanje x Chocolate Thai x Skunk1 bastard that I grow, even though well seeded and past its peak aroma wise when harvested.
Is the best high so far. 5 months aged very dry cure with almost no sweating at all as can be seen from the photos.

img_3091-web.jpg

On chewing it has a sour taste quite pungent but the aroma is classic herbal Mulanje not loud very understated.
It does not in any way prepare you for how hard it hits ha ha.
Almost as you chew it it starts to lift you up with waves of euphoric energy and a desire to get out and enjoy life to the max ha ha.

An hour in your so fucked up you cant even remember what you chewed only that you love its effects.
It took me three attempts to get into my car the other day my wife was laughing her ass off at me and commented "you are so fucked up" ha ha.
Pure bliss for escaping this world completely real medicine in my book and no sedation.
Although when I doubled my usual dose of 0.25g the other day I spent several hours revisiting my past life in the form of actively participating in dreams while laying on my bed ha ha.
When I came round the high started all over again ha ha it was a real goer.
I wonder what it would be liked smoked.

img_3085 (2)-web.jpg

Rastafarout

Premium user
that is something i would do ,if i didn't live on a limited income,but at least i have a little cobbed up that will be ready come new years!
I help build the festivals (carpenter ) for this reason - the entrance fees are getting ££ and I take my own organics ….. at least you preparing for a good new years some thing money can’t buy . Peace

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Good to hear there’s another psytrancer here!
Sativa shroom moon stomp … 🚀👨‍🚀
There's many where we live! Lots of old hippie types and old (and young) ravers.
Our climate and the fact that everyone who lives out of the village has lots of open land, makes outdoor parties and gigs quite common.

I've been swapping cob for mushrooms! I also have a couple of other choice psychedelics too. Looking forward to a good party and a dance.
Talking of which; I rather stupidly told a musician friend that if his band where to play some Velvet Underground at their next gig, then I would dance on stage (old school freaky hippie dancing!). I've just found out that they're doing 2 VU numbers! Thankfully the gig is before we go to the party and is walking distance between the two.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
The garden is doing ok, but perhaps little behind previous years. Some of the plants were a little late going in, suffered from snail attack and then extreme temperatures in early July; they have never really fully recovered and yeild will be down. Still plenty though🙂

We just got back from our regular Friday "off our faces" breach session and on looking at the plants I noticed a few white fly, so it'll be out with the sprayer once the sun's gone down.

I will get some photos up; promise🙂