What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$500 to light a 3x3-what would YOU buy?

M

MagusMan

i agree stewart169 i bought a cheap tent £130 its light leaks from every zip and stitch
maybe thats why its called a lighthouse.so after this grow i will buy a new tent..

G

i agree stewart169 i bought a cheap tent £130 its light leaks from every zip and stitch
maybe thats why its called a lighthouse.so after this grow i will buy a new tent..
My Gorilla is still like new after almost 4 years of daily use. Zippers perfect even though its opened almost daily to check and tend to plants. IF its something Im going to use once I go cheap if possible. IF I am going to have it and use it a lot I always try to buy as good as I can afford. That goes for everything not just grow stuff. Even something as common as a lawnmower.

Ruby_Abu

I just got one Mars reflector 192 and 4x4 tent. It cost me 410USD.
I will begin the first LED grow light grow and write a diary about them.
I considered the QB light. But i am not so capable of assembling the light. So i decided to go with a easy-installed light. Lol. But I think i will try QB light in future.

warpese

Veteran
I'm about to build my 500w DIY qb, $300 for all with lm301b
picture.php

Ruby_Abu

I'm about to build my 500w DIY qb, $300 for all with lm301b
View Image

A lot of work, man. I would like to get a light that can plug in and play.
I am not capable of handwork. Lol.
MarsHydro released a new white color LED that looks like QB light. The price is awesome just care about the quality and performance.

warpese

Veteran
A lot of work, man. I would like to get a light that can plug in and play.
I am not capable of handwork. Lol.
MarsHydro released a new white color LED that looks like QB light. The price is awesome just care about the quality and performance.

quality, performance & awesome price aren't good in the same phrase for a plug&play lamp :)

EcoNepenthe

Total Agreement

Total Agreement

This is $40 over your budget BUT trust me when it comes to lighting its an INVESTMENT and the old saying buy once cry once is truer no where more than the lighting you buy. I have had one of their kits for several years and it has grown some fantastic buds. Its so easy to assemble its like falling off a log. For the non tech folks all of the connections are labeled.

IF you can hook up a DVD player or sound bar to your TV you can do this. Easy.

https://timbergrowlights.com/model-4vs/

I'm in total agreement!!!
Their kits are AWESOME. I bought 3 200watt, CXB3590, 3500k kits.
COB and QBs ROCK!!!
Here's 400watts at work in a 3'x3' space in basement.
A wise investment.
Just a thought.

Stay safe!!!
Success w/ya grow!!! :canabis:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
quality, performance & awesome price aren't good in the same phrase for a plug&play lamp :)
Yep. Building anything revolves around 2 of the big three.

Powerful
Reliable
Cheap

Pick two of these.

If it's powerful and reliable, it's not going to be cheap. If it's cheap and powerful, it will not be reliable. :tiphat:

damien50

As the title states, given $500 how would you light a 3x3 tent? It's for your own personal grow, and you get to pocket whatever you don't spend.

I expect quantum boards to be recommended, and that's great. I have a HLG-65 lighting one of my spaces (1'x2') and it's an amazing light. I am hoping for some ideas or sources I hadn't considered though. Pre-built, kit, or self-sourced components are all in play.

Please only respond with personal experience. I've learned specs from web pages can't be trusted without real people to back up the numbers.

Thank you for your time, and for any assistance you provide.

12 brudgelux EB 24" strips with a hlg 480h 24

Almost 400 watts when driven at 100% and around 290w driven at 75% assuming 35watts per square foot

12 strips from digikey are$ 6.30 a piece
Hlg 480h 24 is around $130

damien50

I'm only going by what I've read, but my understanding is you never want to run these at more than 50% of maximum. Running them more than that greatly decreases efficiency and lifespan. With that driver, you would actually want 2x the number of strips if you wanted to get over 400w.

I know someone more knowledgeable will correct me if required.

I found out about them through LedGardener and the most he said was they get hotter than the Samsung strips so heat sink is needed.

SuperBadGrower

Is there any information on what those SIL lights actually deliver? I can buy a lot of shitty 3200k LED that give 0.7 µmol/j, which is about half the efficiency of decent blurple lamps. So I would need 1000 watts of them to replace just a 500w blurple, or a ~380w cob/strip led. And all those other watts are just heating up the room.

R

rastafari80

well, same situation and I use a 315w cmh.

And I wouldn't spent more money on hids or higher wattage.

nowdays I suggest you to take a look to a samsumb lm301b quantum board, ali3xpress has plenty of hlg look-a-like that I would try.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Is there any information on what those SIL lights actually deliver? I can buy a lot of shitty 3200k LED that give 0.7 µmol/j, which is about half the efficiency of decent blurple lamps. So I would need 1000 watts of them to replace just a 500w blurple, or a ~380w cob/strip led. And all those other watts are just heating up the room.
Watch your spectrum as well, the 3200k puts out enough green/yellow to promote stretching.

But yeah, you're pretty close in your estimate there. :)

Thanks for putting up the thread and getting the conversation going. You have me thinking of putting together a little veg box with these lights to give me the option of a perpetual working with my 5x5 tent with a 630 cmh. Now, do you have plants under your contraption and how are they doing? Also, let's not use words like cheap that have such negative feeling to them. I prefer to say I'm close with my money, really impresses the ladies:biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts