What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Already Dried and Harvest Question.

Dakine

Veteran
Hey you guys, I had A question about buds/flowers that have already been harvested and dried, and are in the jarred/curing process..

Is there anyway at all to get rid of that hay/dried grass smell? Even just A little bit, to hopefully make the true smells come out? If thats not possible then what about to just make that grassy smell go away?

I thought everything wouldve been good. I flushed the girl, and took her down when all trichomes where milky with A couple turning amber. I hung them up in A Dark Cool room, I had A small fan oscillating below, just to make the air directly below the buds/flowers move. The fan was never blowing directly at the drying flowers.

After 4- 4 1/2 days it was almost dry enough for me to put in A brown paper bag for 1-2 days. Burping the bag 2 times A day, 1 in the morning and 1 at evening time. During the time when they where still hanging, they didnt have A strong hay/grassy smell, but I was also able to smell the Sweet/Sour Piney Diesel Smell as well.

After that 1 week, I was able to almost snap the small stems. The bigger stems had A little flex to them. I didnt know the exact humidty. But I cut off the nugs from the big stems that should be, and placed everything into jars.

By then I was just getting that hay smell. But when I break A nug open or squeeze them, I get the good smells I got when they where still flowering. If I just attempt to smell them or open A jar I only get the hay/grass smell..

So I want to get rid of that if possible. Or even not smell so strong at the least haha..

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Just keep burping those jars. Take the bud out of the jars for an hour. Sounds like there was a little moisture still in them. The smell should pass.

Dakine

Veteran
Alright I'll just continue to try burping them without adding any extra moisture to em.. But atleast when I'm breaking the buds up, the good Dank smell comes back.

Ghostin

IME, some plants get the hay smell and then it passes with a proper/long cure but some just don't. Humidity, airflow and time are essential when drying imo, keep a close eye on them.

R

Robrites

Once the moisture level is right, Keep 'em jarred. They will come around. I have some bud from October that I was sure would be sub-par. It is now perfect and much in demand.

Dakine

Veteran
Damn, I think 1 of the strains might be way to dry. You guys think adding A little moisture will be able to hurt it even more lol? I rather have no smell then this smell..

Whats the best way to dry Larf type flowers? Super Airy not Dense, with gaps between budsites on the colas. Ran into to many issues with this girl, but decided to let her finish in order to not waste anything and use her for some kinda edible..

I made A box and ran string across the box. 24 Hours and it was already completely dry... I have A much Bigger plant coming down soon, and its alot better then the last 1.. But it has airy flowers as well..

Dakine

Veteran
So those nugs still have A hay/grassy smell when I open the jars to burp them everyday... Its not getting worse or better, so not to sure whats going on..

I just tried to do A wet trim and dry trim on the final batch of flowers I just took down.. I hung them in A box and put it in A small room/walk in closet. Temps where at 74-78, always dark, and I had a small fan blowing at the opposite side of the room just to get some circulation in there. But not enough to dry the flwoers out to fast...

After 5 Days the flowers where dry on the outside but still kinda moist on the inside.. The stems still couldnt snap, but still werent very flexible.. Then I put them into A brown Paper bag for almost A full 48 hours, it was about 42 hours..

They have been in glass jars for the past 3 days that I open up for about 20-30minutes each day.. Everytime I open the jar I get a mixture of the grassy/hay smell mixed with the dankness that I only want to smell lol. So atleast I can still smell the dankness when just opening the jars and not breaking open A nug.

BUT I want to get rid of that grassy hay smell for good~! Not to sure what im doing wrong..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Hang until the stem gives a small *crack* when you break it off the branch. Sounds like you clipped them off when still too wet. I go straight from hanging to jarring. Only have to burp a few times and they're good.

Too wet, too warm, too green, all contribute to the grassy smell. (Chlorophyll breaking down, same as your lawn)

Dakine

Veteran
So I checked the trichomes and All are milky with about 10% amber. So I dont think I harvested/chopped them to early.

So I didnt jar up or put all the nugs into A brown paper bag. I actually still have some hanging. Theres some that are completely dry, but everytime I open the closet door, I get A whiff of that grassy smell.

Should I put these nugs straight into the jars even though they still smell grassy? Or should I just leave them hanging?

HqFarms

You dried your flowers too quickly and also the flowers didn't use up their excess nutes they have stored in their leaves. Ideally you want to hang in 60 degree with 60% humidity for about 10 days. Flowers at that time should be completely dry but the stems should still be wet and not snap but still bend at a 90 degree angle. Now comes the burping process. After the flowers get to what I mentioned above jar them. Check them in 2 hours to see if the flowers moistened back up. If they are still dry check four hours later then keep checking then add 2 hours on top of the time for the first 24 hours. If when you check and the flowers are moist again you either a) leave the jar open for a bit or if they got super wet brown bag them. Brown bag is the last option and also means they were too wet and should of been left open earlier. The goal is to super slow dry until you get to where you want them

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dakine,,, the above from HQfarms,,
if the aroma is gone its not coming back buddy,,,,
keep good humidity 65%-50% and low temps [65-70 deg] when drying,,
i nuked a beautiful stinky crop of "ice cream" several years back cos i misjudged our new oversized exhaust,,,,,totally ruined cos of very low humidity,,,,
Put this one down to experience mate,,,s2

Dakine

Veteran
Hey you guys, thanks for the responses/advice!! Although I do think they used all the nutes in the leaves. I flush for 2 weeks or more. All fan leaves yellow up and the smaller ones on the nugs/colas start to yellow up.

This whole time everyone is telling me not to let my nugs be wet/mosit while hanging for over 7 days other wise they are at a SUPER high risk of molding up.. Thats why when it gets close to 7 days ill leave the closet door open and speed things up..

But alright, So I should leave them hanging up for almost 10days then?

Thanks you guys. s2 it is experience bro. It just sucks that i basically wasted this SSSDH harvest. 2 big plants and about 10 clones, with another 4 clones about to be harvested. But I guess this next harvest of the clones will let me know if I learned anything

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
fwiw ive read that sd nycd ecsd sssdh ect are all very tricky to cure. this seems to be the overwhelming consensus, seems even experienced growers need to run them a few rounds to get it right.

HqFarms

Hey you guys, thanks for the responses/advice!! Although I do think they used all the nutes in the leaves. I flush for 2 weeks or more. All fan leaves yellow up and the smaller ones on the nugs/colas start to yellow up.

This whole time everyone is telling me not to let my nugs be wet/mosit while hanging for over 7 days other wise they are at a SUPER high risk of molding up.. Thats why when it gets close to 7 days ill leave the closet door open and speed things up..

But alright, So I should leave them hanging up for almost 10days then?

Thanks you guys. s2 it is experience bro. It just sucks that i basically wasted this SSSDH harvest. 2 big plants and about 10 clones, with another 4 clones about to be harvested. But I guess this next harvest of the clones will let me know if I learned anything

It is all about experience with the environment you have. Ten days might be too long for your environment. I live in the dry ass mountains and have to do a couple little tricks of mine or it will all dry out to a crisp very quickly. From experience I have found I only have about a four hour window to work with. If I fall out of that window things go south real quickly

Dakine

Veteran
So its not my first run in this spot. So your correct, I have done A few runs at this same spot before.. BUT The currrent grows im doing right now, are the first after A remodel/Entire Renovation was done to the house..

This is my 2nd run indoors though. I've always grew outdoors and had no problem with the dried product after harvest. Even A small outdoor plant I recently harvested was put/dried with this most recent indoor harvest. The outdoor dried perfectly, and it smells wonderful with no hint of A hay/grassy smell...

Jonny Lan

My Opinion Based on Experience

My Opinion Based on Experience

Ive dried and harvest a bunch of different ways.
wet trim - dry for two days
- dry for five days
- dry for 10-14 days

hung whole to dry then trimmed after
- 5 days
-10-14 days.

And to be honest with you, as long as i got it into the jars before while it was at that perfect cure point, i ve always been able to prevent the hay smell.

But yes my stuff that i trim dry after hanging for 10-14 days smells like funk going into the jars. Honestly smokes AMAZING after just one week in the jar.

the stuff dried for two days after a wet trim needs about 2 weeks in jars to get to the point the the dry trimmed stuff is at when being jarred.

THE ONLY TIME. i had bud that was hay no matter what was stuff i grew in a over damp environment then dried in my old basement.

Robney

If this isn't your first run, and other strains have come out great using the technique you currently use, it might just be the plant your growing just doesn't have a real potent smell or has a hay smell to it genetically. If this is some elite cut forget what I said, but some plants can be runts and have poor smells compared to other plants from the same batch of seed.

Though my two cents is you're jarring them too early, and if you're lucky some smell will come out after some burping and curing. Like many have said, if they do not have enough time to breakdown certain compounds, that hay smell is most likely there to stay.

.357 mag

fwiw ive read that sd nycd ecsd sssdh ect are all very tricky to cure. this seems to be the overwhelming consensus, seems even experienced growers need to run them a few rounds to get it right.
huh?
maybe to dial in the grow
as for those strains mentioned they dont even need a proper cure
dried wieghed and out the door terps are there with no grassy smell
more times than not its genetics,nutes
7 daze drying is way to long ime 4-5 max in my house

Latest posts

Latest posts