What's new

1000w yield down

Hey all! Short and simple. A while back I switched from using 1000watts hps lights to a bunch of 400w for heat reasons. Since I have the right house to keep down on heat I now to use 1000watts, I switched back. So it's been 2 years now of using my 1000's again but I have yet to get more yield than my 400w. On my 400s id get 3-6 oz per plant easily. My 1000w lights only get me 1.25 oz per. Any suggestions as to why? There is no major difference in the style of my growing except everything has been upgraded to work with the 1000s. Just my yield has gone down

The lights I'm using currently are air cooled. Depending on the temp(if it's really cool that day they will be 2" away but if it's hotter they are about 6-12", whatever distance it takes for the canopy to be 78 deg) I did take the glass out and run them and I had the same result in yield. I have used glass enclosed before and got 3-4 oz per but that was years before my current setup. Two bulbs I'm using now is a no name 40$off eBay the other is a high quality hortilux from the grow store but I'm not seeing any difference in yield between the 3 I'm currently using. The 400watt bulbs I used long ago were High quality ushios, I don't know if the bulbs were just such good quality that they gave me great yields or what

It's bothersome that I got better yields with 400s. Please nobody tell me to go back because you can't be a pro with 400s

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Without any more info, I'd say, back off your lights to 18-30" off the canopy. Bet yield and quality go back up.

stonedfly

I wonder if ballasts can loose their power over time but still fire the bulb ? I'm having issues with dim 600w bulbs and I'm thinking it may be the ballast? But it's purely based on stoner paranoia

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I wonder if ballasts can loose their power over time but still fire the bulb ? I'm having issues with dim 600w bulbs and I'm thinking it may be the ballast? But it's purely based on stoner paranoia
Magnetic ballasts definitely lose performance as they get older!

The lights I'm using currently are air cooled. Depending on the temp(if it's really cool that day they will be 2" away but if it's hotter they are about 6-12", whatever distance it takes for the canopy to be 78 deg) I did take the glass out and run them and I had the same result in yield. I have used glass enclosed before and got 3-4 oz per but that was years before my current setup. Two bulbs I'm using now is a no name 40$off eBay the other is a high quality hortilux from the grow store but I'm not seeing any difference in yield between the 3 I'm currently using. The 400watt bulbs I used long ago were High quality ushios, I don't know if the bulbs were just such good quality that they gave me great yields or what
You say you changed location? Are you venting outside air or enriching with co2?

Magnetic ballasts definitely lose performance as they get older!

You say you changed location? Are you venting outside air or enriching with co2?

You know this time I didn't, I'm in a cold climate area and I let my house get cold enough. I spoke with a trusted friend and he asked the same question. I'm currently slightly uncomfortable venting from outside because I'm in a semi populated area and may stick out. I am thinking of enriching with c02.

Sorry this post is separate from my last post but I did vent through an a/c unit before with this setup and had the same result

Dankwolf

I agree 400 s or 600 s are better all the way around . i have been trying out a 1000w for atleast 4 runs now and it sucks for my style of growing. I will take 2 400 s over a 1000 any day. I can wait to get rid of my 1000 the only thing its good for is heat lol .

moses wellfleet

Veteran
A/c units do not bring in fresh air, your plants need a source of co2. Move the light further away from the plants. Who says you can't be 'pro' with 400Ws?

Dog Star

Veteran
Are you have glass on your reflector or you growin with cooltube??

Maybe thats a reason of poor yield

Latest posts

Latest posts