What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Eye Hortilux Vs. Regular HPS bulb

This is a question for anyone who has used the Eye Hortilux bulbs. Is it really that big of a difference. Ive read plenty as to why they are better,but I wanna know is it that much of a difference in yield to spend the extra money? Anybody with experience with these bulbs i would appreciate the feedback! Thanks from the Ghost!:joint:

growshower

I think they are worth it. Even when considering they cost as much as a ballast or hood, they really do run a better spectrum that standard, but there are cheaper, wider spectrum hps out there other than hortilux, chech out elights.com

G

Guest 18340

Truth be told, the only reason I still use a Hortilux eye is because they have the least compatibility issues with digital ballasts. (I run a 600w Galaxy).
The Lumen rating is the lowest I've seen for a 600watter (88,000) compared to other name brand hps bulbs and they're damn near twice the price. BUT...I have peace of mind knowing I have a quality bulb.

D

Diamonddss

if running a lumitek digi ballast make sure you use ushio not hotilux as many are having issues

Kush09

I have been wondering the same thing. I am running 1kW bulbs from HIDHUT.com which say they have a spectrum almost the same as hortilux. They are only $45 a piece. I don't have anything to compare them to, so I can't really say if there is a noticeable difference in growth.

G

Guest 18340

if running a lumitek digi ballast make sure you use ushio not hotilux as many are having issues

Lumateks are a whole 'nother story. Most of the complaints about digi ballasts have to do with the Lumateks. And yeah, you may very well be right about the Horti and Lumateks, it would'nt surprise me.

PS, I AM NOT trying to start a pissing war with Lumatek users.

Last edited:
M

milehighmedical

I got all my hortilux bulbs for free, hydro store was doing a special. Buy a ballast, get a free hortilux. I would never go back, it's maybe $40-$50 more than a regular bulb and w/ a 1k, I'm pretty sure there's an extra eighth in there for you.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Never used Hortilux, I use Osram Plantastars, built specifically for growing plants (Hortilux was actually not intended for plants, until someone realized they worked well for it). Has a really good spectrum (600w hps), I'm quite happy with them.... :D

M

milehighmedical

So did they rename it after they found out? Because the name "hortilux" seems to say it all.

K

kill-9

I prefer Hi Lux. Hortilux just has brand recognition. They have problems with digital ballasts. Not just Lumatek.

C

Cheeb

Hey,

Hilux from Grolux are some nice looking lamps. I've used 600w mh Conversion in a Lumatek no problem. They are made in germany and you can tell they are all quality by looking at them. They look much higher quality then some hortiluxes I've seen.

I've burnt over 24 hortilux lamps in purple lumateks with not a single problem...I've also used some solarmaxes which also seem to be a quality lamp.

I can tell you that my lamps, hortilux especially seem to loose their output faster ('round 3 grows) when using electronic ballasts. It typically occurs when you SHOULD be changing your lamps out anyways so I've never really let it bother me.

I am considering doing a test regarding super cheap lamps (plantmax) vs hortilux.
I'd like to see if it'd be worth it to use some cheaper bulbs - changed every single grow versus hortilux changed every 2-3 grows.

__

And just to rep Lumatek regardless of some issues they may have had with some models (specifically older 1K 120v units)..I still think they are producing the BEST electronic ballasts out there. I've compared to Elux, Future Bright, Galaxy, Next Gen..and against those 4 Lumatek puts more to the bulb - silently.

Lumateks are sealed and fanless. They use the fins on their casing to rid their heat...and need to be position in a grow room accordingly. Most people who have ever experienced issues with a lumatek are running them 120v. If you want the most reliable electronic ballast..try a 240v lumatek...they will not let you down.

PS - No - I dont work for lumatek - just stating what I've experienced.

Sorry to get off topic - this is a bulb thread.

peace
cheeb

JohnnyToke

I can speak from experience on 400's. I have eye 400 grows vs $20 Phillips HPS from H Depot and there was no difference in weight or quality. If they sold 1000's, I would have tried them too.

JT

Thanx too all who took the time to give some feedback it is greatly appreciated. At the time I am not runnin a digi ballast but I plan on it. I am revampin my grow, so I will be puttin a few more ?'s out ther so thanx again for your time. And the Ghost says grow on my good folks grow on!!!

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Give Osram Plantastar bulbs a looksee....You won't be disappointed... :D

G

Guest 18340

Hey,

Hilux from Grolux are some nice looking lamps. I've used 600w mh Conversion in a Lumatek no problem. They are made in germany and you can tell they are all quality by looking at them. They look much higher quality then some hortiluxes I've seen.

I've burnt over 24 hortilux lamps in purple lumateks with not a single problem...I've also used some solarmaxes which also seem to be a quality lamp.

I can tell you that my lamps, hortilux especially seem to loose their output faster ('round 3 grows) when using electronic ballasts. It typically occurs when you SHOULD be changing your lamps out anyways so I've never really let it bother me.

I am considering doing a test regarding super cheap lamps (plantmax) vs hortilux.
I'd like to see if it'd be worth it to use some cheaper bulbs - changed every single grow versus hortilux changed every 2-3 grows.

__

And just to rep Lumatek regardless of some issues they may have had with some models (specifically older 1K 120v units)..I still think they are producing the BEST electronic ballasts out there. I've compared to Elux, Future Bright, Galaxy, Next Gen..and against those 4 Lumatek puts more to the bulb - silently.

Lumateks are sealed and fanless. They use the fins on their casing to rid their heat...and need to be position in a grow room accordingly. Most people who have ever experienced issues with a lumatek are running them 120v. If you want the most reliable electronic ballast..try a 240v lumatek...they will not let you down.

PS - No - I dont work for lumatek - just stating what I've experienced.

Sorry to get off topic - this is a bulb thread.

peace
cheeb

Curious as to how you "compared" all those digi ballasts?

brie

I now buy all my lamps from light bulb distributers who sell tothe public switched about 2years ago from the local gro shop I now use phillips lamps have not been able to tell any difference except these lamps are 18$ I change them out at about 6 months

Latest posts

Latest posts