What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with Root Nubs or How to Root Hard to Clone Plants

*Lola*

good lord dustin... ain't no telling what be in that! hahahahahahaha don't blame me if something wweird happens... rofl.

thanks a bunch Viking!

Nicoli

Veteran
I used all my KY up, it's too tempting..

that's the only downside for this method for men. :<

*Lola*

hahaaha good thing that K-Y is in every grocery store in the country!

p.s. the whole point of using the plain KY is that is is edible, and water soluble, so it won't hurt the plants rofl. still lafing about the massage ky

maxima32

lola, your approach seems to be ingenious in the idea stage! I am gonna try this on my chem dawg to see if it makes the daunting task easier. This plant just gives me so many issues when it comes time to cut. I am gonna try this in mid flower though. Hope it can be affective.

*Lola*

well the good thing about this method is that the cut is still on the mom, so nothing to lose :) heehee

slowandeasy

Veteran
well the good thing about this method is that the cut is still on the mom, so nothing to lose :) heehee

My plants look fine today after the slopping some branches with Gel. It has dried up and looks like powder again. We shall see what happens. Hopefully I have a bunch of bumps in 6 more days.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
That's basically aerial layering, except in aerial layering you ring bark a small section of a branch, apply clonex, wrap coco or sphagnum moss around the wound and wrap medium in black plastic and seal each end. Roots form and grow in the medium. When roots are developed cut off below the root mass. One clone, however in this way you can make very large clones. But yeh, I guess applying rooting hormone to a branch early will speed up the process.

My plants look fine today after the slopping some branches with Gel. It has dried up and looks like powder again. We shall see what happens. Hopefully I have a bunch of bumps in 6 more days.

Keep us posted, slowandeasy!

and of course, hats off to lola :tiphat:

just out of curiosity: lola = lolagal from the old GH floranectar thread?

*Lola*

Thanks all of you for the kind words. I really appreciate them :D

oh, last nite I had to take a clone out of it's party cup and although it had only been in there for a week rooting, that lil sucker had roots 20 inches long or more... in a week! wow! They were balled up in the bottom of the cup.... guess i better go transplant today hahahah

*Lola*

Well I was bored earlier, and so I cut off one of the RootNub Clones off the momma, just to see what was going on.

I painted some up a couple or three days ago.

I took it to the sink, and washed off the K-Y Jelly (which is surprisingly hard to do).

Normallly, I wait at least 7 days for the root nubs to develop, and i NEVER wash it off.

THIS IS JUST A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT TODAY :D

Ok so I got out my jeweler's loupe at 30 x magnification, I already see a few root nubs have developed. I am gonna stick the clone in some water, keep an eye on it for a day or two.

It's just a trash clone so no biggie, it's a sacrifice for science.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lola.. this is BRILLIANT!!
Why the hell didn't you post this 2 weeks earlier!?! :spank:

I am gonna try this in mid flower though. Hope it can be affective.

I don't have anymore clones to cut, but I have a Sour Bubble very late in flower that I was unable to clone. Im gonna reveg her anyway....Gonna slap some gel on her tonite :dance013:

Thanks LOLA!!

MARLO

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Look at you LOLA! Doing big things for the ppl!!!!!! You got some loved ppl posting in here and youve helped everyone! :hug:

Good Job. Now if you could just update the first post with a few pics and this should be a sticky in no time.

*Lola*

Look at you LOLA! Doing big things for the ppl!!!!!! You got some loved ppl posting in here and youve helped everyone! :hug:

Good Job. Now if you could just update the first post with a few pics and this should be a sticky in no time.

awww that is so nice of you to say :D

maybe someday people will be saying "Why did we ever clone any other way?" :D

I wonder if it will take longer for the harder rooters to develop root nubs. Send me some hard to clone plants to experiment on (j/k) heehee... what are some hard to clone strains, i may get some to experiment on.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I hear BlueDream is a hard one... Talk to Nicoli about that Casey Jones... I bet once you start getting feedback from ppl there wont be any hard to root plants...

Please make sure you ALL post feed back and pics if you can.

Girl you deserve a reward... lol!!!! I know it's nothing REVOLUTIONARY as HighCountry pointed out that its basically air layering... but getting to SEE the progress before you cut the stem is very NEW...

Sorry to be so cheesy but I feel like this will help New Growers and Pros alike...

WHere's freezerboy at?!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Lola.. this is BRILLIANT!!
Why the hell didn't you post this 2 weeks earlier!?! :spank:

I don't have anymore clones to cut, but I have a Sour Bubble very late in flower that I was unable to clone. Im gonna reveg her anyway....Gonna slap some gel on her tonite :dance013:

Thanks LOLA!!

MARLO

Marlo, I wish I would have known about this with my Sour Bubble also. Some cuts clone good, some take longer. Weird plant to clone sometimes.

Even though my Galadriel plants clone very easy 6 days...I figured I would try it on a few branches. It has been 3 days now, plant is perfect. You kinda have to visualize how much they are going to grow in the week or so ahead to know the best area to put the gel so your clone does not get too tall. I put it on a big area, this is just an experiment. Hopefully they get bumps in 4 more days. We shall see.

*Lola*

Marlo, I wish I would have known about this with my Sour Bubble also. Some cuts clone good, some take longer. Weird plant to clone sometimes.

Even though my Galadriel plants clone very easy 6 days...I figured I would try it on a few branches. It has been 3 days now, plant is perfect. You kinda have to visualize how much they are going to grow in the week or so ahead to know the best area to put the gel so your clone does not get too tall. I put it on a big area, this is just an experiment. Hopefully they get bumps in 4 more days. We shall see.

we did ours the same day, and I couldn't see em under the cloning gel residue either. That is why I washed one off lol... just hadda see

Latest posts

Latest posts