What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basic wire sizing guide for US 120 and 240 volts (Link)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Electrical wire sizing (101)

# = American Wire Gauge (AWG), the lower the number the larger the wire guage.
"Service cable" is large insulated stranded copper cable (usually refers to single #4 wire and up).

Most house hold circuits (Typically 15 - 30 amp) can safely handle 95% to 100% of it’s max rating - but only for an hour or so at a time. Loads that require long periods of 'on' time (like an air conditioner, ballasts, etc) should not exceed 80% to 85% of the max rated load of the wire/cable. The known safe capacity that the National Electric Code (NEC) recommends at 100%, is actually 80% of load.

99.9% of the time when you get into "insulated" #8 and bigger wire, it’s most likely going to be stranded (just like it’s big sister "Service cable"). You can usually get your basic sheathed xx/2 and xx/3 cable up to 6 guage. If you need larger than #8 or #6 though, you will have to buy service or "service type" cable. This can cause two problems. One: very high cost on long runs. Two: the cable might not fit the appropriately-sized breaker on a long run. This is why it’s wise to opt for putting your ballast on 240V when 2400+ watts of light power is needed on a single circuit.

#4 and above = Cable
1/0 and 2/0 are Service cable

Last edited:

full time daddy
Veteran
nice info.... i just went into all this not long ago and need to learn about 220 wire. i know the basics but not the ballest part thx to icmag & ppl like you that help

thx again toka ;) and to you to mr. Boggled for others to learn.

G

Good info... sooner or later I'll get around to showing people how to wire a relay and use it to power on mulitple ballats with a cheap timer instead of anything expensive... also pics on how to wire things up at a sub panel.. I think visuals make it so much easier!

Latest posts

Latest posts