What's new

How to Properly Cure your Buds - Dry and Jar Method

G

Man i have to say that jar curing rox..
Before i found this site. Well any of the sites, seedbanks etc..I just grew
No nutes, just water. grew just shwag. And continued like this. found the old mag no one likes. read a lil bout nutes. And thats as far as i went with growing. Well i cut down a shwagseed outdoor plant that started by me throwing a few shwagseeds in one of the wifes old tomato pots lo and behold 1 popped it grew a female i harvested it and jarred it. and then opened it every now & then. Well it smoked ok pretty smooth no real taste. I saved one of the tops pretty chunky. i cut it down in mid Oct.
btw.. Anyway tonight i opened the jar to roll some of that shwag bud. For 1 when i broke it open it smelled like dirty motor oil mixed with fuel pretty crazy. it smells kinda like a cats piss. with a hint of lemon taste if this all makes sense.. to me im kinda freaked.. happy cos it didnt ever smell or taste like this before.. cool.. peace Im high on it right now the rest of it..

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

mothra said:
Wonderful thread and Great fun Thanks all for the many tips and fun. I usually just cut my buds right off the plants at harvest and hang them out in the open, like on coat rack via hanger or in a closet open to air. They are dry in 3 to 4 days then they go into jars and are burped everyday. Is it BAd to dry in the daylight? I here that messes with the color of your smoke? Peace

I do the same thing, but it usually takes 5-7 days for me. I just chop the plants, take off any overly large fans, and hang them until they are nice and crispy. In my enviroment it takes 5-7 days. When they are good and crispy on the outside I give them their manicure and jar them up. Burp them as needed, and then just let the magic happen. I must admit I used to be a bit of a skeptic about the whole 3-6 months of curing thing. The buds taste so good after only a week its hard to believe they can get any better. But good lord was I wrong. Ive got a cola from my last grow, which was harvested around new years, and I just recently decided to pinch a little sample to see if it got any better. OMG when you crack the jar the odor is almost sickening its so intense. But its not sickening at all, its so sweet. It almost seems fake to be honest. The difference in taste is very subtle, a little bit cleaner if that makes sense, but boy was it amplified. I can't wait to try her after a 6 month cure :D Ive got a little bit of hash from her trim too, it smells about the same as the bud, but of course not nearly as strong. Of course, it has only just went into curing so we'll see in a few months.

OK enough of my ramblings, but for your question mothra Ive always read that light degrades THC, so yes daylight would be bad.

G

Drying Buds

Drying Buds

Thanks Gift of Gab Yes the buds allways have tasted just fine dried in the open, But I will try the dark this time. I mean who needs thier THc degrading? :} Peace all :wave:

G

Wow, this thread still goes on...

I recently have tried other ways to dry the bud prior to jaring and have had good results.

Pizza boxes are cheap and rockin' if you on a budget. I used pizza boxes and it was really easy to dry the bud to the desired level. I simply set the boxes opened up for several hours then shut em up and put em away. If you need new clean boxes just go and ask for them w/ your pizza. I just tipped big and they gave me a bunch of em.

even better is drying on silk screens. I will put up pics sometime. I put together a 22" x 38" drying screen by stretching silk screen over an empty canvas frame. You can put one together yourself for pretty cheap at most art stores I bet.

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
:chin: I wonder how those little silca bags (like you get in meds, beef jerky,etc. say "do not eat") to absorb moisture and oxygen would work, especially early on in jars.....hmmm

JetUsUp

im not sure if this has been said or ask yet in this thread. but ive heard of people drying their bud in the jars witha piece of fruit for "added flavor". well wouldnt all the moisture from the piece of fruit cause your buds to mold, then destroying what you slaved over?

Rellikbuzz

JetUsUp said:
im not sure if this has been said or ask yet in this thread. but ive heard of people drying their bud in the jars witha piece of fruit for "added flavor". well wouldnt all the moisture from the piece of fruit cause your buds to mold, then destroying what you slaved over?

I just did put an apple slice in my jars to remoisten my buds after they got a bit too crispy while hanging. I only left the apple slice in each jar overnight and it rehydrated the herb nicely. It became softer to the touch and more pliable but not wet. The aroma of the apple could only be smelled right after I took the slice out and was quickly overpowered by the natural scent of the herb shortly there after. Even in this moisened condition the herb burns but will not stay lit unless hitting on the joint. I have been taking the herb out of the jars once a day for about 15-20 minutes to air dry a bit on a dinner plate and then put right back into the jars. So far, no mold problems but the bud has remained soft and pliable. I think it's going to take a couple of weeks more before the bud slowly dries to a "even-burning" consistency. Because of my need to move this herb (for financial reasons), I will have only jar cured this herb for a little over three weeks. It will be interesting to see if, in fact, the flavor/scent/potency of the herb will have gotten better. I sure hope it does! :yes:

JetUsUp

Rellikbuzz said:
It will be interesting to see if, in fact, the flavor/scent/potency of the herb will have gotten better. I sure hope it does!

yes it certainally will be. if it does, you should PM me about it.

when my buds get a little crispy, I just throw a fan leaf in the jar overnight and it fixes everything.

I like the fans because they are somewhat neutral, and don't really effect the taste or smell of the herb.

G

Awsome Idae G o b
I have some sweetooth #3 that is still around from 2 grows ago, Hydro as well and that leaf idea rocks.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Jar curing is the best way to go after harvesting & drying your bud's...... :smoker: ....... not doubt about it.

I have found over the year's that some strain's react differently to jar curing than other's, in that some strain's, can become "over-cured" from staying in their jar for too long. When this happens, bud's seem to slighlty lose some of there fresh, just picked flavor, and take on different flavor's. Some strain's only get better the longer they stay jarred...... :smoweed:

mosess187

HELP!

HELP!

yeah well how long on the average would one have to use this method in order to have decent smoke! i've heard of people doing this method for as long as 6 months god knows these three months have been a bummer without any smoke in the house! i will celebrate my very first harvest next week and i want everything just right so please help!!

G

A good cure is EVERYTHING. Otherwise you haven't made the most of the time, money, worries, paranoia, care, and love you've showered on your plants.

Mosess...you can have a good cure after three months in the jars, an excellent cure at 6 months...but at one month you can already smoke yourself some decently cured weed :wink: I personally don't even touch my buds if they haven't been in the jar at least two weeks. And then only to sneak a taste...after which I wait until they've been in a month.
Hope that helps you to decide how long you need to wait :smile: Its subjective you know....we won't hunt you down and shoot you if you confess to not having been able to wait :D

dogg

Great thread.

Great thread.

I was just checking this thread to get some ideas on the best dry and cure and BAM :bongsmi: it's all right here!I have never harvested anything because yes,I am a nOOby but I have everything I need right here to do the best job.My girls are Green Giant X Rosetta Stone.From Spice Brothers Seeds by Fet.These ladies have been going for 5 months with 1 month of flowering outdoors[started indoors for 1 month]I have no dought what to do with them. :woohoo:

mosess187

indigo...thanks! another question? is it normal to have this "freshly grass cutt" smell? does that just come with the turf sometimes until the cure is up?

G

hey mossess, the "freshly cut grass" smell is due to your buds still having chlorophyll in them. As the buds cure, they'll slowly lose the chlorophyll, about a month from putting in the jars they should have lost it completely. Personally, the first 10 days of cure I remove my buds from the jars and reposition them once a day...helps them to cure evenly, allows me to inspect the buds, and avoids any mold issues.

Were your buds well dried before you put them in the jars? If the stems weren't at "snapping" stage they'll take a bit longer to lose that chlorophyll smell and you'll need to make sure to remove the lids for 20 minutes or so a day for the first 10 days to avoid mold. Keep a close eye on them :wink:

:wave:

mosess187

cool thanks a bunch........i will be letting these babies get dry as hell.....before i put into jars.......i know nothing about the strain so i'm doing this blind folded and as a newbbie!!! :wave:

G

hey mosess...drying and curing methods are standard for all strains, so when you find a good method that works for you, that's the one you're gonna be using for whatever you grow out. The important thing to remember is the larger/fatter/denser the buds, the longer they'll take to dry. Indica and indica dominant hybrids are more prone to mold issues than sativas and sativa dom hybrids because of the different bud formation. Keep that in mind when drying your plants, before putting them in the jars :wink:

Glad to be of help!
:wave:

rasputen

Hey , great thread. I have something to add that I have not seen mentioned.
I vacuum seal my mason jars after burping before putting them up for a few months.

Actually I use the polycarbonate vacuum jars from Walmart to do the burping, and just vac them after letting them sit open to burp. They are in the same isle by the vac-seal units.

I don't use the fridge or freezer (security) but keep them in a dark cool closet.

Also I have found a good 6 month to 12 month cure makes better bud than I ever smoked from bought bud.

People (non growers) I have turned on to some cured stuff are always blown away, so much that I have to be careful who I give any to. Don't need people following me around begging fore more.