What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2017 Meteor Shower Thread

KONY

Veteran
Tonight should be a good night for viewing in the Northeast. Both the Delta Aquarrids and also the Perseid's.

Here is a list of the rest of the peaks for the year. Note the moon will be full for the Perseids peak, so viewing over the next few days might be more ideal.

July 27-28, 2017 Delta Aquariids
August 12 or 13, 2017 Perseids
October 7 or 8, 2017 Draconids
October 21, 2017 Orionids
November 4-5, 2017 South Taurids
November 11-12, 2017 North Taurids
November 17 or 18, 2017 Leonids
December 13-14, 2017 Geminids

KONY

Veteran
Anyone see any of the Taurids? I guess they are rarely many of then, but they are slower moving and can occasionally produce large fireballs. Will be clear here tonight and cold. Will probably take a look.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
love watching meteor showers, but have been cursed with work schedule & cloudy weather the last 2 years, dammit!:comfort:

KONY

Veteran
Geminids coming in HOT. Hoping we get enough break in the clouds to see some. It's going to be cold.
Should be a great show if you can catch it. During the evening hours are best chance of seeing a slow moving meteor that goes across the whole sky. I hope to see one of these some day.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
tomorrow night should be hellraising good! calling for over 120 meteor streaks per hour around peak at 2:00 am or so...:woohoo: supposed to be clear and i am OFF work till Friday night!:tiphat:

KONY

Veteran
tomorrow night should be hellraising good! calling for over 120 meteor streaks per hour around peak at 2:00 am or so...:woohoo: supposed to be clear and i am OFF work till Friday night!:tiphat:

Forecast shows it's going to be clear skies here now tomorrow night after 11pm. :woohoo::woohoo:

Last edited:

KONY

Veteran
Was the best meteor shower of my life. (Only for the last 8 years have I lived somewhere that I can go outside and look up and see the milky way easily)

We must have seen 40 total in about 20 minutes, with 10 of them being really bright and/or leaving trails of sparkly dust behind them.
We saw one that was very slow. I was able to say "wow, look at how slow that one is" and it was still visible and moving at the end of my sentence. That one wasn't as bright, but the speed was crazy slow.

stupid fucking clouds! can't see shit here, sitting up all night for NOTHING! fuck all...
moon.gif

You should still be able to see some tonight, just not as many as last night.

Last edited:

KONY

Veteran
Winter Solstice and the Ursids coming up. Peak for the Ursids is supposed to be about 1-2am, EST the 22nd.

They are not nearly as prolific as some of the other showers, and much newer however after such a good Geminids, we will give it a chance.

Latest posts

Latest posts