What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6k Medical Grow Coco (Multi Strain Perpetual)

S

Silky Johnson

No my ph is high if I let a bucket of water w/ an air stone in it. like 6.8ish.... and im talking overnight.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Hey Silky, I`ve fed like that with no ill affects, but prefer it to sit for a day, but then .I`m using 50/50 tap/RO water so I need the chlorine to evaporate too. Does yer Ph stay at ph5.8 the next day?

Hey PoopyTB, thanks, you got any on show in a thread I can check out??

Cheers, Toke

you know i dont and its cuase i moved adn was lazy to break them out... they are in the next show though lol... i have used them before and recommend them i like them better then smart pots

Wow those air pots look awesome!! How much do they cost? And have you or anyone else here tried them before? The airpot with coco should be great Im definitely going to watch this thread.

S

Silky Johnson

Yo blockhead! Yeah Air Pots and coco go real well if you're looking to grow this style. I heard of people getting them off of Ebay from vendors. They shouldnt cost too much money no more than a couple $$$ a pop depending on size. They are made of recycled plastic so I assume they don't cost a whole lot to make. Thanks for checking my thread.........

D

dramamine

Hey Silky, looking good man...

Your ph will swing upward like that, when using an airstone especially, due the phosphoric acid (in the ph down) evaporating at a faster rate..

S

Silky Johnson

Im starting to see the plant purple on the top? Anyone know why? Its just the tops on 3 but doesn't look normal

Tokesome

Show us some pics of the plants mate for prob solving. Is the purple in the stems and branches, as opposed to in the leaf?

Toke

S

Silky Johnson

I think I need to stay with calmag on every feeding that what im lacking and causing the stems to purp im pretty sure...

I think I need to stay with calmag on every feeding that what im lacking and causing the stems to purp im pretty sure...

Microblast or epsom salt works well for mag deficiency. I used the cal mag additive and it through my calcium numbers sky high. Effectively locking it out. KEEP GRINDIN & GL SILKY!!!

S

Silky Johnson

im using Botanicare Calmag 5ml per gallon same calmag additive?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
looking great, i love the autopots.. ive always wanted to try them but cant find them nearby.. good luck getting everything blown up proper

Tokesome

Hey Silky, ignore the recommended dose on the Calmag label and add it by ec. If you`re using coco specific nutrients like Canna, its designed to go with water with an ec of 0.2, where that ec0.2 is made up mostly of Calcium and Mg. I had allsorts of issues using Calmax (same make up as Calmag). I ended up going from straight RO water to 50/50 tap/RO water and ditched my Calmax and never looked back.

Be careful not to let your plants dry out too much, this will cause purpling of the stems too. I know I have a bee in my bonnet about that, but I know its been giving me similar problems.

If you think your feed may be messed up in the pots, a good flush with RO water followed by some nutrient mix it`ll help no end. Flush at least as many liters of water through as there is coco in the pots, or double that is good in small pots.

Flushing does I believe help keep salts from building up and locking elements out, and allow higher ec nutrients to be given to the plants.I still try not to exceed ec1.5.

Cheers, Toke ;-)

S

Silky Johnson

Toke, Thanks bro Im using straight RO water right now. Im feeding once a day with over 30% run off at times. So RO isn't the perfect water to run with coco? Wouldn't that also have chlorine and lead? I stay with the calmag right now but it continues to be a issue might check into it. I was thinking also that I put them under 1k of light when they were use to CFLs, so it might be drying out the coco faster too. Ill throw some pics up here soon.

Tokesome

Hey Silky, I`d try it on a couple of plants, 50/50 tap/RO, and see what happens. I think you`d be seeing some interbeinal yellowing if Calcium or Mg were way out, that why I though they may need more feeds.

If Mg is the issue, then foliar feeding 1 teaspoon per liter, no more will help no end. 1 spray followed up 3 days later will restore much of the damage.

Cheers Toke

boroboro

Hey Silky, nice room you've got started here! I've been growing for the past few years in coco and smart pots, hand-watered. I don't mind the hand-watering, since it's only a 2k room with maybe 6-10 plants in flower at a time. #2 and #3 smart pots can go 2 or 3 days in between watering for me. they do like everyday watering around weeks 2-5 of flower while they're growing fast.

I've started to water less, just until run-off. that way I don't have any drain to worry about. Seems to work well with the light nutrient concentrations I've been running (around 0.6-0.7 EC of Gen. Hydro micro and bloom).

Good luck!

Tokesome

Oh I meant to add above that I`m not knocking the Calmag/x at all, but if you check the ec rise that you get with the full dose its way too high. Canna specific nutrients already have good amounts of Cal and Mg, and it the right balance. I would only go with a maximum of ec0.2`s worth of Calmax as its very detrimental to plants in coco to have the Cal and Mg levels high, I mean can really fook things up. To replace the tap water`s level of Cal and Mg, that is removed along with other crap when RO filtering it is what you`re looking to do, you cant help the plants by giving more than this, but manufacturers can make more money if we use their fuul dosage, and it can cseriously mess with your plants and theirt root zone.

As I said Canna design their nutes to be perfect with base water of ec0.2, obviously there`s some leeway either way, but I`d be very hesitant about going any higher than ec0.2.

Hope that explains better, dont want you worrying that calmag is a bad product with coco, just can be lethal if going with the full strength they recommend. Personally I`d flush them and then use Calmag to 0.2ec.

50/50 tap and RO is good unless your water is really bad, again check with your ec meter how what balance RO and tap brings the mix up to ec0.2.

I did a fair amount of research on this a while back when having issues with Mg def`s/lockout.

Cheers, Toke

Tokesome

Hey Silky, nice room you've got started here! I've been growing for the past few years in coco and smart pots, hand-watered. I don't mind the hand-watering, since it's only a 2k room with maybe 6-10 plants in flower at a time. #2 and #3 smart pots can go 2 or 3 days in between watering for me. they do like everyday watering around weeks 2-5 of flower while they're growing fast.

I've started to water less, just until run-off. that way I don't have any drain to worry about. Seems to work well with the light nutrient concentrations I've been running (around 0.6-0.7 EC of Gen. Hydro micro and bloom).

Good luck!

Hey, I`ve heard of others doing this and getting good results, but using higher ec values and flushing a couple of times a week.

Do you flush? It seems like almost starvation levels at ec0.6/7, so I assume you dont flush having to keep it down at that level?

Toke