Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Best thing I EVER added to my res...

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Best thing I EVER added to my res... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 AM #1
Keep goin

Keep goin will become famous soon enoughKeep goin will become famous soon enough
Best thing I EVER added to my res...

So, I've recently tried adding a fish tank filter to my 25 gal hydro res.

Holy crap...the results are amazing!!

I have never seen such a clean res, or such healthy plants!

I have for years run no dump res and experimented with all sorts of different combos of products. Some worked some didn't. By the end...or even the middle of the run I would get some slime building up on my air lines and pump lines. Always made it through though, then would just scrub everything out. No problem.

Now I have added a simple, cheap fish tank filter (tetra) right from wally world. Bio bag filter...which you replace monthly (cheap, couple of bucks )...which harbors/ cultivates beneficial bacteria, and a simple mesh filter which can be washed out.

I'm running GH 3 part, keeping an eye on my EC, that's it. Looks like I could drink my solution, just slightly tinted color. Gorgeous results. I have been foliar feeding with Flourolicous Plus and a carbo product. The plants look incredible!!

I have yet to see it all the way through...I'm currently 4 weeks into 8.5 or 9. (just in the wanting of disclosure) But so far so very good. (And I've seen enough to have a handle on what's happening, and how it will turn out!!)

Just wanted to share...I'm always trying to help others out, and like the thread title says this is the best thing I've ever seen. I added the 10-30 gal version to my one res...they even have a 2-10 gal version which I put into my EZ cloner...all very promising!! I currently have plans to add one to each of my reservoirs. I'm even thinking that the 2-10 gal one would work great in a "side show" 5 gal DWC.

So far the only "bad" thing I have even remotely noticed is the need of a touch more of the "green" bottle (couple of extra mL per gal) That's it!

Let me know if anyone knows of any reason not to use fish filters in hydro...otherwise everyone should add one tomorrow!! It's incredible!

Good Luck all

KG
Keep goin is offline Quote

13 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM #2
hush
Se˝or Member

hush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud of
This is a great idea! Just make sure that you don't use activated carbon in your filter, because that might actually absorb your nutrients.
hush is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM #3
cravin morehead

cravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of lightcravin morehead is a glorious beacon of light
welcome to bio-buckets. well, not exactly. you are starting to see the benefits of running a 'bio system'. read up on bio-buckets and you just may convert your style to 'set it and forget it' bio-buckets...

cm

all hydro systems boil down to two things imo, 1) the system!!! 2) the operator!!! And one ain't worth a plug nickel without the other... BigToke

My current grow Super Sour Berry 47 bio bucket style :
www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338573

A sad state of affairs. A crippled America. A pipe dream buttfucked.
Immune. Stronger than all.
A lament for a rookie officer, punk ass weak little lamb.
For the mob, truly, does rule at this particular time.
We've grown into a monster. An arrogant, explosive motherfuck.
Hard as a rock. Shut like a lock.

Pantera
cravin morehead is offline Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 05:05 PM #4
moodster

you got a link or a picture

Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM #5
PetFlora

PetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant futurePetFlora has a brilliant future
Best thing I ever added was switching from various name brand nutrients to Hydroponic-Research VEG+BLOOM

It is totally complete, AND, pH stable

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329619

Just because you weren't taught something doesn't mean it's not true, and vice versa
PetFlora is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM #6
SeaMaiden

If it's a biological filter that's helping you, you should get into the habit of not replacing it and having to rebuild your nitrifying populations all over again. At most, rinse it, and rinse only part of it. I'm not familiar with the particular 'thing' you're using as you describe it, but that's what I would do.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 AM #7
Keep goin

Keep goin will become famous soon enoughKeep goin will become famous soon enough
Hey Hush...yeah, I think it does have activated carbon, and I think I did notice some absorption problems at first...but a bit more of the green bottle added to the solution, and within a week or so everything balanced out and looked fine.

Cravin...I actually ran bio buckets and am familiar with the concept. This is a lot easier and doesn't take the same level of "specific" set up as the bio bucket system. IDK..my thoughts anyway. This is more versatile...I mean I even put it in my EZ cloner...and I could see putting a small 2-10 gal unit in a 5 gal DWC stand alone to improve the results.

moodster...no picture, sorry. But tetra fish filter. That's it, easy to find in any pet store, or pet section of a big store. I've seen other brands...but I picked up the tetra and just sized it to my res.

Pet flora, I actually want to try that nute line myself...looks awesome. I would still use the filter though, regardless of the nute I choose. (from the results I have seen...clean as a whistle)

Sea Maiden...I do realize that's what's helping me (it was one of the reasons I wanted to try it, along with the cleanliness)...do you really think not exchanging the "bio-bag" is the move?? They (the manufacturer) suggests rinsing the filter part as you suggest...but replacing the "bio-bag" part. Let me know if you have specific info about that. Thanks...

Good luck all...
Keep goin is offline Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 AM #8
festerous

festerous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nicefesterous is just really nice
I have two fresh water aquariums, both have been carbon free for over two years. My water is crystal clear and the fish are happy. I have not changed the water at all, only topped off.
festerous is offline Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM #9
SwedenGrow

SwedenGrow will become famous soon enough
Do you think this concept could be added and used with Autopots and would it be beneficial there aswell?
SwedenGrow is offline Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 04:43 PM #10
SeaMaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep goin View Post
Hey Hush...yeah, I think it does have activated carbon, and I think I did notice some absorption problems at first...but a bit more of the green bottle added to the solution, and within a week or so everything balanced out and looked fine.

Cravin...I actually ran bio buckets and am familiar with the concept. This is a lot easier and doesn't take the same level of "specific" set up as the bio bucket system. IDK..my thoughts anyway. This is more versatile...I mean I even put it in my EZ cloner...and I could see putting a small 2-10 gal unit in a 5 gal DWC stand alone to improve the results.

moodster...no picture, sorry. But tetra fish filter. That's it, easy to find in any pet store, or pet section of a big store. I've seen other brands...but I picked up the tetra and just sized it to my res.

Pet flora, I actually want to try that nute line myself...looks awesome. I would still use the filter though, regardless of the nute I choose. (from the results I have seen...clean as a whistle)

Sea Maiden...I do realize that's what's helping me (it was one of the reasons I wanted to try it, along with the cleanliness)...do you really think not exchanging the "bio-bag" is the move?? They (the manufacturer) suggests rinsing the filter part as you suggest...but replacing the "bio-bag" part. Let me know if you have specific info about that. Thanks...

Good luck all...
The specific information is that if there's carbon in there, once it's ad/absorbed compounds, it's done. However, it does also provide 'housing' for microbes, specifically Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter spp (you'll recognize those genus names if you're into soil science at all--they're your nitrifiers; i.e. they oxidize NH4 {ammonia} --> NO2 {nitrite} --> {nitrate} NO3).

Now, that's the rub with the bio-bag, it's the condominium complex for your nitrifiers. See, they're benthic, meaning that they must live attached to surfaces (as opposed to free-floating, which are pretty much almost never good), so they need that housing. If you remove completely all that housing, you have to build up the populations of nitrifiers all over again. Why? There's no logical reason to do that, but there are plenty of logical reasons to rinse the carbon and replace or recharge it.

Unless the manufacturer has somehow figured out how to keep that media inoculated with those species of bacteria, it makes zero sense to me to wait on rebuilding those populations, which in freshwater takes about 2 weeks for the whole cycle to complete.

Do you want an explanation on how this cycle goes? You're not running an aquarium, and I think you do want some readable NH4 in there, as it's what plants can utilize directly, IIRC. Not just the NO3.