What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone grow out Johaar?

djav59

And un topped several were like this.
picture.php

aliceklar

Johaar smoke report

Johaar smoke report

Harvested Johaar #3 a few days ago. Its not properly dried out yet, but I used a dehydrator set to 40c to quick dry a bud because I'm impatient :p Yield was decent compared to some of the others I've grown.

Very nice smoke! Smell is nothing special - grassy, lemony (in a lemon scented cleaner kind of way), but really doesnt have a great deal of scent. No skunky odours. The effect is happy, lucid, initially energetic, and then tailing gradually off over the course of a few hours. No comedown, no headache, very clean.

Interested to see what Johaar #2 smokes like - it is so different in its form. Will need to wait another month for that one tho...

aliceklar

Johaar #2 smoke report

Johaar #2 smoke report

#2 took a lot longer to ripen - 18 weeks and looking half dead by the time I harvested her. But.. she produced a decent mass of very puffy bud (I had to support the plant on strings) which has the mellowest happiest high - again distinctly different from the #3 pheno that was earlier maturing.

All in all, I like the Johaar -am growing them again in the next batch, and also a couple of crosses (Dance World x Johaar, and Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze) - interested to compare.

picture.php

aliceklar

Johaar#2

Johaar#2

Growing out some of the Johaar #2 seed (long flowering period, but lovely happy vibe), as well as crosses w Nitro Lemon Haze, and NLH. Lots of diversity in this batch.

J2 01-04 (3 out of 7 didnt germinate - but I suspect that is due to the wide diversity in the landrace)

aliceklar

Popped another 7 seeds of the Johaar#2 line. Want to explore this one, and hunt for quicker maturing phenos that have the same happy high as the mother.

picture.php

10 Johaar in total, now, growing strong with lots of diversity in size and form.

Last edited:

aliceklar

More Johaar pics

More Johaar pics

Growing 10 of the offspring from Johaar #2. Started off in 7cm pots nearly a month ago, just transplanted to 11cm. Still gonna be big... I've seen some experienced growers of landrace sativas use 12/12 or 11/13 from seed - might have to try this approach!

Quite a bit of variation in size, height, vigor... J2 05 is looking promising - compact relative to some of the others, which is something I'm going for. Because I'm basically doing bonsai soil grows in a 3'x3' cupboard, I'd like to select for a shorter form. But yeah because I'm a masochist I'm using a 5meter tall sativa as my starting point :biglaugh:

bleepboop

I hear you on johaar looking difficult indoors. I tried one in a 2x3x3. The internodal stretch was high and the vigour looked like it would absolutely take over later so culled it quite early into that round. Training sativas is alright but the stretch on that particular one was just a bit much. Hats off for making it your starting point.

I've had modest success with TRSC germinating and briefly vegging in solo cups under 17/7 and keeping stretch low with a 6.5k lm301 board about 8" above. Once relatively mature (30-60 days) transplanting to bigger mixed bed under 11/13. They seem to sex quite quickly under these conditions.

aliceklar

And here are the Johaars as of a couple days ago:
picture.php

Getting huge! I'd repotted into 11cm pots and given them a few days to settle in, then flipped to 12/12 yesterday. Next time I'm going to try flipping them earlier, in an attempt to keep them small. The largest 4 were sown right at the end of August, and germinated 4th Sept, the smaller 6 were a week later, so they've had about a month in veg. Interested to see what difference it makes (complicated some by the fact that this landrace is not homogenous - so much diversity even in these offspring of a single mother and father), and note that some of the newer ones already seem to be catching up with their older siblings, which had started to get pot-bound. Thinking next time veg for 3 weeks not two??

Last edited:

aliceklar

Johaar start 5th week flowering

Johaar start 5th week flowering

And here they are as of 1st Nov. They are pot-bound and have been trained harshly, so not the best lookers... but they are all putting on bud and ripening seed.

aliceklar

Thanks for the update, love the structure on Johaar2 #11

Yeah, shes a beauty, eh? Some of the aesthetics might be because she was the shortest of the batch, and so hasnt had her top bent down like the others, although if you look closely you can see where her main stem was folded & tied into an N bend(!). I particularly like the curly leaves (v goth) although someone has commented that this looks like lack of water - but I've been watering every day quite carefully (and with this c 20 plants in small pots, it is a pain, believe me...).

I've seeded all of the Johaars using my two favourite males - waiting to see how they smoke before I choose which ones to carry forward by re-vegging & seed.

aliceklar

Might be too much nitrogen the curling

I was wondering whether it was nute related or something genetic.

All the Johaars, and the Johaar crosses (I'm also growing some Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze F1s) show this leaf curling trait to some degree. They are in 1 litre pots of compost with 15-20% perlite, with added bonemeal and kelp meal. Mostly they have just been given plain rainwater, but I have added small amounts of feed a few times as they had yellowing and dropping lower fan leaves - half strength tomato food (NPK 4.0-1.3-6.6), half to a quarter teaspoon of epsom salts per 2 litres of water, and very small amounts of phosphorus, 2ml maxicrop seaweed extract per 2 litres of water, OR urine diluted 40:1 (in place of the tomato feed). so ... I was assuming that this would be on the low side for N??

Rembetis

I was going to say nutes too. How often do you use the Epsom Salts? Your soil may be very salty. With all the yellowing they need more N. Over watering does that too so check both those things.

Do you have access to blood meal? Top dress with it a couple times a week until things look better. You can do a 1/4 teaspoon at a time until they come around. Either that or dont dilute your tomato ferts. Use it at full strength but dial down the amount untill you get a better feel for what is going on. You will only need the N for a few weeks more depending on flower time. I cut it half to 3/4 of the way thru depending on how the plants are looking.

You might also beef up the P. It will help bulk up the buds at this point in the grow. Also I think you really need to repot Even just a slightly larger pot with some fresh soil could help.

Last edited:

aliceklar

I was going to say nutes too. How often do you use the Epsom Salts? Your soil may be very salty. With all the yellowing they need more N. When you see the tips curl down just slightly you know that N is going low. Over watering does that too so check both those things.

Do you have access to blood meal? Top dress with it a couple times a week until things look better. You can do a 1/4 teaspoon at a time until they come around. Either that or dont dilute your tomato ferts. Use it at full strength but dial down the amount untill you get a better feel for what is going on. You will only need the N for a few weeks more depending on flower time. I cut it half to 3/4 of the way thru depending on how the plants are looking.

You might also beef up the P. It will help bulk up the buds at this point in the grow. Also I think you really need to repot Even just a slightly larger pot with some fresh soil could help.

Thanks Rem - I've only given epsom salts 3 or 4 times to date, but I think you might be right about the N, and the pots...

So I've potted 4 of the 5 up into slightly bigger pots. J2, 8, and 10 have gone up to 1.5 litres, and J11 has a gigantic 2 litres of legroom now. I had a little blood fish & bone, so used that in the compost mix, and watered in with full strength tomato feed + maxicrop seaweed. Lets see what that does.

Rembetis

did you compost the soil when you added the blood fish and bone? When mixing that stuff in to soil it has to sit for 30 days. Otherwise the composting action burns up the roots

aliceklar

did you compost the soil when you added the blood fish and bone? When mixing that stuff in to soil it has to sit for 30 days. Otherwise the composting action burns up the roots

Thanks for the warning Rem. Ah... no. I just mixed it into the new compost. Fingers crossed it wont do any damage, though - the BFB was a few years old, and cut with straight bonemeal, and only a few teaspoons in total (c 1 tsp per litre of soil). Will watch with interest to see if there are adverse effects - and I left #12 in its original pot with no amendment, so it will be a useful control for comparison.

dunno.gif

I used a similar mix when potting on hungry plants in my last grow and didnt have any problems - my assumption was that the overall N was relatively low, and the roots would reach into the new compost only as fast as they needed the nutes (root structure was very healthy, and I potted on without any disturbance of the original rootball). Maybe it would be best to compost first tho... Might line that up for next time I pot on, so I have it ready prepared with no danger of root burn and more nutrients available straight away (I hear bonemeal is very slow release). I've been using a 50/50 mix of Blood Fish & Bone with Bonemeal, to boost phosphorus - gives something like a 4-10-3 ratio of NPK.