What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tashkurgan grow and smoke report

musigny23

I'm at 250 ft and a mile from the ocean and many "indica", "indica" dominant CA types mold here. Mostly I grow sativas because they resist quite well. I got these because I thought they might do significantly better here than the CA super mutts.

Hopefully more will pop up, landraces can be slower.

Yeah the same can be said about growing closer to the coast in Mendocino and Humboldt, more mold, PM, botrytis. I'm inland far enough that the indicas do well here. I've heard the Santa Cruz area is known for growing good Haze cultivars/sativas. For the last decade there has been a lot of Blue Dream around here, which has haze in it, it is fairly easy to get 5+ pounds per plant out of Blue Dream here.
Looks like I only got 8 of 12, one or two more may make it. I usually have higher germination rates with locally harvested seeds, but I figure the storing conditions are easier; landrace seeds I assume go through more adverse situations to get overseas.

djav59

Tashkurgan

Tashkurgan

album.php

djav59

Real afghan is highly susceptible to botrytis here in east coast when I had working stock in 80s it had to be checked daily .I have had it wipe out entire patch in 24 hrs.From nice big buds to melted mold overnight . Time and temp plus planting on upper slopes for air flow reduction of surrounding vegetation as much as possible are key .
Here is the thing about old school stuff I didn't let it cure much at all I could plant early April and have early bud by the 4th of July it always ripened extremely fast if not harvested at proper time it went into senescence quickly ,and the bud turn golden brown a slight flick and glands dislodged . If it went that far it went into hash oil bucket ya I did in old days with grain, and simple retort in crock pot with varying results.

There was no need of extensive curing or any of that simply cut and dry huge buds the high was narcotic the weed itself when planted with white pines surrounding it seemed to take on a menthol effect Skunky, Menthol , Hashy ,yummm none of today's strains resemble it.
I saw some from WA state islands several years ago that was close (It had true skunk aroma but milder )and lacked potency .

When grown indoors it does turn black and mutates leafs lose striations and flavor changes and intensifies becomes chocolatey ,coffee like and lost the menthol aspect potency increased due to high uv from MH lighting .
In short my experience growing it indoors was limited due to the HEAT so eventually strain petered out, and genetics lost to time, and foolishness.

Judging by the appearance of these plants I say its getting back to the good old days .I hope.

Tash selecting

Tash selecting

Beginning to take clones of the Tashkurgan. 9 plants right now, 3 have been outside on a permaculture farm since February (1st pic) with the 4th one in the pic being the close one which is tall from supplemtnal lighting and just brought over to the farm today. The 1st pic shows that the 3 plants that have been outside are stunted from cold with shorter node distance compared to the one with sup light (deleafed the tall thin one). The 2nd pic shows the two Tashkurgan plants that I have been taking care of that get supplemental lighting (also been deleafed). The other three are at two other farms. Not knowing the cannabinoid content, these landrace plants arent very popular around here compared to the modern hybrids. Im giving these plants away for free as long as I have access to them and can breed the one I select. Im sure Tashkugran has some fantastic traits, as most modern hybrids probably wouldnt have done so well outside in winter. There have been frosts here the last couple weeks, a cold March and seemingly warm February. The clones should finish flowering before I make my decision which plant should be pollinated this summer.

Attachments

• 20200326_132105.jpg
    20200326_132105.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200326_131912.jpg
    20200326_131912.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 60

djav59

Those waay too leggy mine are compact and bushy .75 caliper stem @ 6 weeks old highly vigorous growth unfortunately looking like the ones I have are all male .

Mine haven't shown sex yet, I'm also around 6 weeks. 3 of the 4 in my first pic are compact and are probably stunted from always being outside in the cold. The two in the 2nd pic are under weak light, so they are stretching. I'm not worried about the "leggy"ness as these plants will fill out in April and May with the spring sun and I plan to harvest in late October or November, as I heard these Afghan landraces actually take later into fall to finish. I'm interested to see your pics. I took cuts today so I know what the flower looks like by June.

djav59, I think you started the seeds a couple weeks before me. I'm assuming it will take me 7-8 weeks to determine sex in mine, a little longer than normal.

djav59, I also deleafed the big leaves a couple times on the leggy ones, I have other cultivars going so I deleafed to make more space.

djav59

Ya same here press 4 space i fucked up and may have killed the only female trying to sex early my advice dont do it.
I pmd u.

yes I have not earned the human right to chat yet. It doesn't seem as if chatting would be so bad on this not so active thread, but I'm just a newbie so what do I know.

The Tashkurgan genetics I've noticed have some nice leaves, but they aren't as broad as the typical "indicas". I also think these plants will get taller than a compact indica would, than like a Deep Chunk. I have a kush plant that is a heirloom to this region of NorCal (Tart Kush), almost like a Deep Chunk, I'm doing a pheno hunt with it and going to hit it with STS to make feminize seeds with this Tashkurgan, another Tart Kush sibling and an ultra modern hybrid, Ice Cream Cake.

yeah if you want to send me pollen from your best male, I will send you seeds. I think regular seeds are good because it is traditionally the way landraces are pollinated. With the Y chromosome, I've heard there are extra genes compared to the X. I'd like to know more about what the male actually brings to the next generation. I mostly do regular seeds too, but the feminized seeds are in much higher demand. I probably won't pollinate until July or August, but the pollen from your male should be good until then. I could do a branch with a paint brush and split seeds 50/50. I'm sure you know how to select a good male; I recommend the stem rub and looking for trichomes on the male flower.

djav59

Tashkurgan @ 7 Weeks

Tashkurgan @ 7 Weeks

attachment.php
attachment.php

2 5/8" Caliper at 7 weeks old

Yeaahhh.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_074619587.jpg
    IMG_20200327_074619587.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200306_075241021.jpg