What's new

twitter just permanently banned donald trump

JKD

Veteran
Searching “Alt-tech” will also help you find alternatives should you want them.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
arguing with memes is hopeless, so i won't bother.

i do find it interesting that Jack Dorsey himself has more idea of what he did then a lot of you guys. he actually questioned his action on free speech grounds and open internet discussions.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
No equating intended at all; I only implied that such behavior would be banned or censored on ICmag. Period. The rest of your response is your own making.

?you really believe that after all the crap that we leave up in here?

I got nothing from this. You have no idea what I care about and I don't love you 'putting words in my mouth.' In reality my thought on such subjects is that everyone should be treated the same; president or pauper.

i agree with equal treatment, in fact thats one of the points about this situation, they let the chinese dictator keep spouting his crap, they let groups call for violence, they let Maduro, Khomeni, president Sissi, Erdogan, etc etc, all do as they please on twiter.

Agreed.

That sucks.

in the end im happy facebook decided to do the whats app rule change, again it opens people eyes and i know my whole family has moved to telegram for now, we might all switch to the paid Swiss messaging app called threema, with Swiss jurisdiction.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Well, mah free speech has been infringed upon many times by ICmag mods. I ain’t whining and neither should dump!
:bis:

h.h.

Veteran
in the end im happy facebook decided to do the whats app rule change, again it opens people eyes and i know my whole family has moved to telegram for now, we might all switch to the paid Swiss messaging app called threema, with Swiss jurisdiction.

You mean there is an alternative to Twitter. Who’d a thunk.

growlegal

Veteran
arguing with memes is hopeless, so i won't bother.

i do find it interesting that Jack Dorsey himself has more idea of what he did then a lot of you guys. he actually questioned his action on free speech grounds and open internet discussions.

I find it interesting you are comparing a bunch of potheads to a billionaire businessman?
(real Business not tRUMP businessman )

h.h.

Veteran
I find it interesting you are comparing a bunch of potheads to a billionaire businessman?
(real Business not tRUMP businessman )

We’re just as important. Twitter has nothing on us. Some folks don’t think so though.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
this discussion feels a bit circular at this point. the readers can make up their own minds, i for one won't repeat my self, either you understand the logic or you don't.

lets all at least agree, it was a great thing that the tech giants decided to do.

your reasons might differ, but the result is what matters to me. opening peoples eyes to the concentrated power the unelected tech billionaires have amassed.

i like to be consistent about these things and i was ranting about the tech monopolies having too much power back when Obama used them to help his re election, i was against their power when trump used them to win and i am against their power now they helped Biden win.

as for IC mags power and influence in the world, ill be ranting against it as soon as Gypsy becomes a tech billionaire with a monopoly on cannabis sites. roflmfao....

Cuddles

this discussion feels a bit circular at this point. the readers can make up their own minds, i for one won't repeat my self, either you understand the logic or you don't.

lets all at least agree, it was a great thing that the tech giants decided to do.

your reasons might differ, but the result is what matters to me. opening peoples eyes to the concentrated power the unelected tech billionaires have amassed.

i like to be consistent about these things and i was ranting about the tech monopolies having too much power back when Obama used them to help his re election, i was against their power when trump used them to win and i am against their power now they helped Biden win.

as for IC mags power and influence in the world, ill be ranting against it as soon as Gypsy becomes a tech billionaire with a monopoly on cannabis sites. roflmfao....
Hi gaiusmarius, As much as I dislike the `power´ those tech companies have but we have as a matter of fact in a way `elected´ them! Now, there was never a national vote in any country to use or not to use their services but people simply chose to use them - nobody ever forced to get people to use Facebook or Twitter but they do ( for whatever bizarre reason).

As for `power´: you can be an internet platform and noone gives a toss. You can be posting on an internet platform and onone gives a toss either. You can have your own website and nobody gives a sh*t.

I don´t think it´s so much that the companies or social media have the power but rather the people that make use of them.

For better or worse.

Gry

Veteran
Hi gaiusmarius, As much as I dislike the `power´ those tech companies have but we have as a matter of fact in a way `elected´ them! Now, there was never a national vote in any country to use or not to use their services but people simply chose to use them - nobody ever forced to get people to use Facebook or Twitter but they do ( for whatever bizarre reason).

As for `power´: you can be an internet platform and noone gives a toss. You can be posting on an internet platform and onone gives a toss either. You can have your own website and nobody gives a sh*t.

I don´t think it´s so much that the companies or social media have the power but rather the people that make use of them.

For better or worse.
Sounds warm and comfortable to me.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

For better or worse.

i really appreciate your ability to maintain a civil debate even if it is online. many people have forgotten how its done. but i do wonder how you can maintain this belief in the free market of the tech giants when you have many examples in recent history of places being bought out and incorporated into the tech giants, you even have an example not even a few days old with parler, even minds is being attacked now.

what also seems to have been forgotten is how twiter made them selves, they didnt do all this censoring to begin with, they basically operated a huge bait and switch on the worlds people. first it was all, come and have free speech, then when everyone was well and truly hooked, they started to come up with new rules every few months which they then implement on a arbitrary basis.

however i do hope this will be a wake up call. not so much for the US, but for the rest of the planet, a smart government will create their own national alternatives. you'd have to be stupid to continue using it to announce government policy etc.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
you'd have to be stupid to continue using it to announce government policy etc.
No president prior to trump did such a thing. Terrible idea in hindsight, lol.

Social media gets its power from the people don’t forget. Seems pretty democratic to me.

igrowone

Veteran
i really appreciate your ability to maintain a civil debate even if it is online. many people have forgotten how its done. but i do wonder how you can maintain this belief in the free market of the tech giants when you have many examples in recent history of places being bought out and incorporated into the tech giants, you even have an example not even a few days old with parler, even minds is being attacked now.

what also seems to have been forgotten is how twiter made them selves, they didnt do all this censoring to begin with, they basically operated a huge bait and switch on the worlds people. first it was all, come and have free speech, then when everyone was well and truly hooked, they started to come up with new rules every few months which they then implement on a arbitrary basis.

however i do hope this will be a wake up call. not so much for the US, but for the rest of the planet, a smart government will create their own national alternatives. you'd have to be stupid to continue using it to announce government policy etc.
it can be viewed in this way
I doubt it myself because of the inherently unpredictable nature of what wins and what doesn't
we've colonized new territory, new laws and rules will evolve
no issue with your salient point
and plainly it needs to be addressed

Cuddles

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]gaiusmarius [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]but i do wonder how you can maintain this belief in the free market of the tech giants when you have many examples in recent history of places being bought out and incorporated into the tech giants, you even have an example not even a few days old with parler, even minds is being attacked now.[/FONT]
Companies get sold to larger ones all the time. This is not a new thing and no big deal. If I had a company and maybe got bored with it or it wasn´t doing so well anymore and then got a really great offer for it, I´d sell too. So what? I go home rich.

As for parler getting shut down, who cares? I recently read an article where it was mentioned and that place is financed, run by and frequented by right wing extremists, racisists and even modern day Nazis. Is it really such a great loss? not in my opinion.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]what also seems to have been forgotten is how twiter made them selves, they didnt do all this censoring to begin with, they basically operated a huge bait and switch on the worlds people. first it was all, come and have free speech, then when everyone was well and truly hooked, they started to come up with new rules every few months which they then implement on a arbitrary basis.

[/FONT]

Twitter is a private company and as such they have the right to ask people to behave in a decent manner and if they don´t they can `punish´ them by say cancelling their accounts. I think that´s perfectly reasonable because it´s their company and they make the rules and rules do tend to get changed over time.

Like I said these platforms have agreed to do a better job at monitoring things like mobbing, hate speech etc in recent years. True it was due to pressure from some governments including the british one, but is that a bad thing? it´s nothing to do with `the right to free speech´, imo.

If someone is being abusive they get just kicked out and censored.

If some guy or woman acted that shit repeatedly they end up being barred from the local pub too. Why should the internet be any different?

The internet has been used and abused by people with bad attitudes for way too long. It´s high time people learn you can´t get away with everything and cracking down on them is long overdue.

I totally agree with politicans (not ) using twitter or facebook first to announce policies. I want to hear that stuff when watching the news!

h.h.

Veteran
Watched a press conference yesterday. Wonder how they did it without Twitter. After all they hold the monopoly on free speech.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Companies get sold to larger ones all the time. This is not a new thing and no big deal. If I had a company and maybe got bored with it or it wasn´t doing so well anymore and then got a really great offer for it, I´d sell too. So what? I go home rich.

As for parler getting shut down, who cares? I recently read an article where it was mentioned and that place is financed, run by and frequented by right wing extremists, racisists and even modern day Nazis. Is it really such a great loss? not in my opinion.

Twitter is a private company and as such they have the right to ask people to behave in a decent manner and if they don´t they can `punish´ them by say cancelling their accounts. I think that´s perfectly reasonable because it´s their company and they make the rules and rules do tend to get changed over time.

Like I said these platforms have agreed to do a better job at monitoring things like mobbing, hate speech etc in recent years. True it was due to pressure from some governments including the british one, but is that a bad thing? it´s nothing to do with `the right to free speech´, imo.

If someone is being abusive they get just kicked out and censored.

If some guy or woman acted that shit repeatedly they end up being barred from the local pub too. Why should the internet be any different?

The internet has been used and abused by people with bad attitudes for way too long. It´s high time people learn you can´t get away with everything and cracking down on them is long overdue.

I totally agree with politicans (not ) using twitter or facebook first to announce policies. I want to hear that stuff when watching the news!

out of +rep. you deserve some. i'll get back to you...