What's new

Ferts n soil feedin time?

Just wondering what other do to feed their plants growing in soil? I know on some fert bottles they state not to pre mix but right now i have my plants in the red beer pong cups an i only have 6-7 an those dont take a full gallon of water so i end up with just under a gallon left till next feedin time an im wondering if that mix is still good or should i make a fresh batch for each watering?

Also how many times do i need to test the run off for PH an PPMs in a soil grow every watering, every other?

Are you growing hydro or soil? Because you are asking a bunch of hydro questions.

Firstly, you don't need to test shit because you are growing in soil.

Secondly, What are you thinking about feeding these soil grown plants?

You can feed fish, kelp, and humic the whole way through, and end up with super dank flowers. Or you can amendment your soil, and feed the plants nothing, and end up with super dank flowers. Doesn't get much easier than that. :)

Cogollo33

Test ph and E.C deppend also of the water where you life, no matter if u grow in soil, coco or hidro, if the water of u área isnt good u should test E.C. every time you water the plants, i grow in soil and the ph in my city is around 7'5/8 so i got to down a bit, im lucky than my water is realy clean and with an E.C. around 0'17, in other áreas of my country water come with a lot of Cal and other minerals and is Poison for the plants.... I test ph every time i water the plants after add the nutes and grow in soil

Cogollo33

I prefer to give them fresh water every time, just let a few hours to declorate before water the plants or add nutes, also i feed them one time, next time i give them only water, cannazym and a tbs of honey or melaza.
Some nutes get rotten if u let them for the next time, so better fresh and clean and test ph and e.c. just a minutes before water the plants.

Test ph and E.C deppend also of the water where you life, no matter if u grow in soil, coco or hidro, if the water of u área isnt good u should test E.C. every time you water the plants, i grow in soil and the ph in my city is around 7'5/8 so i got to down a bit, im lucky than my water is realy clean and with an E.C. around 0'17, in other áreas of my country water come with a lot of Cal and other minerals and is Poison for the plants.... I test ph every time i water the plants after add the nutes and grow in soil

Bullshit. I have grown with water anywhere from low 7's up to 9. As long as you have a good soil it will buffer any issues you may think you have with water. I have not ph'd water in 4-5 years. Grown in many different places in that time. Shit always seem to grow anyway. I must be lucky. :)

Cogollo33

Bullshit. I have grown with water anywhere from low 7's up to 9. As long as you have a good soil it will buffer any issues you may think you have with water. I have not ph'd water in 4-5 years. Grown in many different places in that time. Shit always seem to grow anyway. I must be lucky. :)

Some places got realy bad water, not only for plants also for drink, Valencía, Cataluña and Baleares islands here in Spain got a realy bad water, a lot people use ósmosis filters for can drink this water and give it to de dogs or other pets, anyways isnt a bad thing test some parameters and either expensives, not all people get enough free room for make him own mix of soil and the better option is bottle nutes and comercial soils and there is needed test ph and in some places also E.C.
Of course in soil isnt esential but anyways for some genétics and for better quality i still think in soil for grow a ph around 6/6'2 and for flower 6'2/6'5 is the point, i dont test E.C. cuz dont need, i feed low and got nice water but suelo surely in some places any grower u ask tell u than a E.C. tester is one of the esential things for start to grow

Granger2

Veteran
I would never test runoff pH unless I started having problems. So far I have never done it.

As far as pHing the water/nutes goes- depends on your water and your soil. You said you're growing in soil. Shit that could mean anything. But what I always ask is will it hurt to pH the water and nutes going in if I'm willing to do it. The answer is no. A lot of it, IMO, has to do with whether you have a vibrant microherd. Nurture that and keep replenshing the inoculants from varied sources. So it's up to you. Good luck. -granger

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I used to not pH my water/nutes. Everything was fine until around 4 weeks into flowering (about the time amendments in soil were gone). Then came the spotting and yellowing. This went on for years. Plants always ended up good so just rolled with it.

Finally, I said what the hell and bought all the pH stuff. Found out that after I mixed my pbp w/ supplements, the pH was around 4.0! So started pHing everything to 6.5 and after all the years of not pHing....spots and yellowing are all gone. Coincidence??? Hell no. Lol.

Soil I use is FF Happy Frog, btw. That's my experience with soil buffering pH. It will, til it runs out of amendments. :)

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
Vanilla Phoenix,
Another example that coincides with my experience, and the experience of others. Not pHing works for some people who, aparently, are lucky to have the water they have, and that it is a good fit with their soil, but for me, and others it results in problems. Also nutes factor in. My tap is high pH, high lime, high alkalinity. Good luck all. -granger

Ned K

I grow in soil and after initially testing the ph I dot worry about that anymore . I would however test your ph of your nutes . yes soil acts as a buffer but if you keep putting in a nute mix that's to high or to low it will bring your soils ph with it and that can cause problems as the optimal ph is 6.5 . most of the nutes I use now are ph neutral . Yes you can do living soil and teas and stuff . But I find it a little to time consuming to do it all the time and have settled on the canna bio flores and veg for supplementation on top of the teas and stuff it has the bonus of having silica in it so elevates the need for messing around with foxtail . cheers

Ned K

Oh and with storing your mixed nutes I just put a air stone bubbler in there and they keep good for 2-4 days .but that s my nutes .

Latest posts

Latest posts