What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diy Oxygenator: Explanation, Theory, & Discussion

Dr. Penguin

Welcome to IC Mag's official Oxygenator discussion thread. For those of you that don't know what it is, I'll start with an explanation.

An Oxygenator is a device that uses a catalytic reaction to break down H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) into water and pure oxygen.

2H2O2 ---Catalyst---> 2H2O + O2

There have been a few versions of the device marketed commercially for use with fish, the most popular of which is called the Oxydator. The device is sold under the name Dr. Söchting's Oxydator and is advertised as providing the maximum dissolved oxygen possible in a fish pond or aquarium. The device is patented, a copy of which can be found here and an updated version here.

Since the device uses pure oxygen to provide the DO (dissolved oxygen) to plants roots in a hydro system, we should be able to achieve much higher levels of DO than would be possible using air which is ~21% oxygen. As many here can attest, the more DO to the roots, the faster the plants grow. That alone would be a great achievement, but couple it with the increased stealth and security of no more loud bubblers/airpumps, and protection in the case of power outages (always a fear with hydro), we may really be on to something. While I was researching this idea I stumbled across a page detailing an easy to build replica of the device shown here.

oxy.jpg

Wow, all we need to build it is a pressure tight bottle (think soda bottle), a lead weight, an air stone (the smaller the pore size the better), tubing, and some H2O2. How easy!

So now we know what it does and how to build a simple version to test it. The only things left to do are to try to refine our design, test it (preferably with a DO meter), and build a large scale proof of concept system. We have a lot of brilliant people on this forum and together, I think we can revolutionize the way we provide oxygen to the roots of our plants!

The parts of the design that I really think could use improvement are the longevity of the H2O2, improve catalyst performance/safety, and increase the amount of oxygen that actually dissolves so none is wasted.

The longevity issue is addressed well in the DIY page I linked to above, namely using two large bottles set up about a week apart so that as one slows down in production, the other is running full steam. We can also increase longevity by diluting the H2O2 which slows the reaction. Using one liter sized jugs @3% H2O2 we should be able to get up to a month worth of O2 from each jug, not to bad considering how cheap 20% H2O2 is from a pool shop.

Catalyst performance is another big issue. The article I linked to uses lead as the catalyst which could be toxic if it ever found its way into the reservoir (very unlikely but not inconceivable). Lead also has the unfortunate property of being converted into lead oxide(II) when exposed to the high heat produced when H2O2 concentration is >~8%.

H2O2 + PB --> PbO + H2O

This reaction causes a breakdown of the catalyst and reduces the oxygen released. A much better catalyst would be platinum, copper, peroxidase (an enzyme found in potato and yeast + others), activated carbon and manganese dioxide as used by Dr. Söchting, or silver as is used in the updated patent above.

The last thing that I believe can be refined is the amount of oxygen that is actually dissolved. If the bubbles make it to the surface of the res, they pop and go out into the atmosphere thus being wasted. If we trap all the bubbles under the surface, we are using our oxygen much more efficiently. Thankfully our friends in the planted aquarium field have already solved this one for us. By using a device called a CO2 reactor (in our case O2 reactor) we can use 100% of the O2 produced. Here is a picture of a simple CO2 reactor:

co2.gif

If anyone here has any thoughts, ideas, or more importantly a DO meter, feel free to post it up. With some testing and experimentation we should have an awesome new way to give our plants a huge growth boost. Thanks guys!

P.S. The idea and initial research for this design was conceived in this thread. Thanks Sgt.Stedenko and anyone else that participated.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I see more problems than benefits, but if it grows weed better, it would be worth testing further. You gonna test it?

Dr. Penguin

Please do elucidate the problems you foresee.

I have run through some tests of various catalysts and currently have a bottle running to see what kind of longevity I can get with store bought 6 volume H2O2. I do plan to test this on a large scale but I am not one to jump in head-first without a very clear understanding of the parameters.

I really need to get a DO meter to do any truly objective testing...

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Cat skinning. It's flexible.

Cat skinning. It's flexible.

DIY O2?
Quite interesting Dr Guin.:D

This may interest you as well.

Had a gal that was drowning in saturated soil.
Had some stainless steel screws just lying around
Had a photovoltaic cell that was just lying around.
I had grown tired of lying around myself, so opted to fix her.
Drove a long, stainless steel screw sideways into the bottom of the container and another one close to the soil surface.
Attached them to the solar cell.

as long as the sun shines, I get O2 at the bottom, and H at the top.
Do not get "accelerated growth" but it did save her from drowning in stagnant muck.

Too simple?

Aloha,
Weezard

The solution to the lead phobia! Do the lead oxidation and then get the water chemically analyzed...no plant should be used!

imadoofus

Veteran
lab grade DO meter is around $4-500.

dr, ive browsed looking for more info regarding this, not turning up much. can you provide any links ?

Dr. Penguin

@Weezard: I've considered electrolytic O2 generation but the hydrogen produced scares me away. Growing indoors I don't want anything flammable near my grow.

@Turbolaser4528 & budshoteyes: Lead is only one of the possible catalysts, in reality something like silver would be a lot better. There are many non-toxic metals that we could use for this reaction.

@imadoofus: The best information I could find on this are the two patents I linked in the first posts. If you have access to scientific papers there are also some published works about the effectiveness of various catalysts.

@Weezard: I've considered electrolytic O2 generation but the hydrogen produced scares me away. Growing indoors I don't want anything flammable near my grow.

@Turbolaser4528 & budshoteyes: Lead is only one of the possible catalysts, in reality something like silver would be a lot better. There are many non-toxic metals that we could use for this reaction.

@imadoofus: The best information I could find on this are the two patents I linked in the first posts. If you have access to scientific papers there are also some published works about the effectiveness of various catalysts.

The only problem with electrolytic O2 generation is heat. The same thing can be proposed of using a passive catalysts.

But I am interested in hearing more for the sake of grow science. Let's all see where this goes.

I would attempt this myself, but I am busy with other stuff, like automation projects.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
The Oh Too, generation,

The Oh Too, generation,

Aloha Dr. P.

Not to worry, the rate of production at 2 volts is very low and Hydrogen produced at the surface is very light.
It dissipates immediately.
You could not ignite it with a Bic and a prayer.
I actually tried.:)

You would need a sealed space with 0 air currents and a week and a half to singe an eyebrow.:dance013:

That said, I still would not recommend indoor use of electrolysis.
Well, that, and the photovoltaic wants to see a lot of UVb.:D

An ideal catalyst remains unaffected by the chemical reaction.
It just has to be present to promote said reaction y'all.

Lead is actually difficult to oxidize and Pbo2 is a heavy compound that would form on the catalyst surface eventually rendering it useless.

There's little to no danger of lead getting to your plants with the setup illustrated.
It's still a concern for used solution disposal though.
Do not flush the used solution.

An excellent, safe, catalyst for H2O2, is
FeO2.
You can control the rate of O2 production with the amount of Iron oxide.

That's about all I've got on peroxide.
Played with it for a while but found little, if any merit to pure Oxygen for plants
(Seems to piss off the Nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil):frown:
And, in truth, Oxygen is way scarier than Hydrogen.
Hydrogen is quite flammable, yes.
But with Oxygen, everything is flammable!

Handle with extreme care!

Sorry 'bout "running off at da fingers" here.
Got too much time on my hands and a busy mind.
I will butt out, on demand.

ciao,
Weezard

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
OK Doc, first, you want to eliminate electric, but your power head requires it. DWC does not die if power to your air pumps goes off, plants will be fine for twelve hours, then start to decline and die, but you have plenty of time to deal with it if the power goes out.

You are relying on chemical reaction, sustaining your do for a couple months, there are many more problems with that equation than there are with a simple air pump. Think points of failure, always in design.

If this could sustain super oxygenated water continually, the question becomes, will the plants produce more or better flowers because of that? A DO meter will not tell us that only a test grow will. This could be worth doing, it would be good to know. I still think an oxy concentrator for old folks will be more reliable for this use.

H

Dr. Penguin

@Weezard: Good points all, especially with regard to the catalyst concerns. My question for you though, is did you use bubbled oxygen or straight peroxide? I could see peroxide giving some soil bacteria a hard time but as I run a non-organic hydro SWC, the only bacteria I care about are aerobic and would benefit from increased O2. Oh, and no need to butt out, I appreciate intelligent criticism. :good:

@Haps: In the event of a power failure all I would have to do is remove the O2 tube from the reactor and attach a micro-pore bubble stone, pretty simple solution. I don't know about you but where I live we have >12 hour power outages at least once per season so this design could be a lifesaver. It's certainly better than pulling five gallons at a time from my rez and dumping it back in from as high as possible a couple times per day...

This setup is certainly not going to replace large piston-cylinder air pumps for commercial grows but in a system with <50gal total size it remains a viable stealth option that could potentially provide a boost in growth.

Evil6

Interesting read and proposal. If such systems could replace a water pump, for stealth reasons alone it would be a godsend. The question is, how efficient is it. I'm suprised this conversation hasn't gone on for longer.

Dr. Penguin, are there any more updates?