What's new

Dissolved Oxygen Meter Testing

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
All right stoners,
Since no one in the last 5 years I've belonged here has taken the time or money to do this, I'm going to.
I just scored an Oakton Ion 6 Dissolved Oxygen meter with galvanic probe.
http://www.4oakton.com/proddetail.asp?parent=84&prod=333&seq=1&TotRec=6
I also just ordered some zero oxygen calibration solution and replacement electrolyte and membranes for the probe.
Total cost was $146 for the meter and supplies, shipped.
The meter and supplies ought to be in my hands in less than 2 weeks.
Once I get these, and get familiar with the meter, I plan on doing some testing of DO levels in a standard hydro solution using a couple types of airstones, bare tubes, waterfalls and maybe 3% and 35% H2O2. I'll try to do this as scientific as possible with controls where applicable. Probably some side by side buckets.
Maybe put to rest some of the bitchy attitudes around here that my setup is better than yours, etc, etc.
I dont use powerheads and I have no need for one, so dont ask.
I also am not going to buy every model or air pump or air stone, so dont ask.
Unless you want to mail me your equipment for testing, please dont ask me to spend additional funds for your amusement.
Thanks.

Edit.
See the links below for a shortcut to the tests.
A discussion of test #1 is found here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4320743#post4320743
A discussion of test #2 is found here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4337485#post4337485

My seat belt is fastened for this one!
I bought a micro pore stone today,cost 4 bux. I hope you will be able to test similar.

allouez

This should be interesting. I was just thinking about this the other day. I've read so many different recommendations on making the dissolved oxygen level high, but never seen any real data. For a few example of simple things to test: do air stones help, or does an air tube without an air stone work as well or better? If the power goes out, at what rate does the oxygen in the solution diminish? How many lpm of air per gallon of solution does it take to get to the point of overly diminishing marginal returns for dissolved oxygen levels?

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
A general testing sounds like we would all learn from the results. The different do levels at higher temps should be interesting, we can only guess now. Side by sides have shown me when I was at max do for my setup, but it would be cool to find a way to kick it up another notch.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
After re-reading my first post, I sound kinda bitchy. lol
I'm happy to help anyone who may have some questions. Just drop me a line once I get the meter up and running.
Hell, I might even buy a powerhead for testing. Wink, wink, Hazy.
I remember the last time someone got hold of a DO meter, people were asking for all kind of crazy test conditions (with and without plants, bio, UC, certain types of pumps, exotic airstones, different diameter air lines, etc) and I didn't want to see the thread digress in that direction with name calling and hurt feelings.
Later bitches.

El Toker

There's no need to reinvent the wheel. This topic has been investigated extensively through published scientific research and researched and rehashed by the aquarium industry and aquarium enthusiasts.

Try these articles for starters
http://users.vcnet.com/rrenshaw/do.html
http://www.hakkoairpumps.com/subcat15.html
http://bilberrybrian.com/2010/11/temperature-and-dissolved-oxygen-in-hydroponics/

or try any forum for people who have aquariums or ponds.

What's interesting looking at this is that there is only a 30% change between water at 10 C and water at 30 C, I thought it would have been a much bigger drop. You can also see the kind impact that EC will have on O2 saturation, in the comparison between pure water to salt-water (I haven't had time to look round and confirm this at the time of writing this)

Hey Sarge. Nice project you are doing. Are you running DWC or RDWC? I have been dealing with a local company, they have some new prototype units. They deal specially in Microbubble technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jsHNt0ljs&feature=channel_video_title

This is one of the newest units on the market. If you could do some good tests, I may send you one for further testing. Here are some tests I would like to see once you get your meter

1) DO of water in your dwc/rdwc system
2) turn off all circulation and bubbles, how long does it take for DO levels to drop to critical low levels? (below 2 or 3)
3) How long does it take to restore DO levels once you start air pump, air stones, etc...

If these test are easy for your to run and have interesting results, we may send you a micro-bubble test unit for further testing. thanks! (tagged)

Scrogerman

Veteran
LMAO man, N1, nice find for the dollars. I will really be looking forward to the tests!
Thats dedication for you, top job man!

I just wanted to say go for the best grade h2o2 you can find (at resonable cost), i believe the lower(ie-3%) commercial h2o2 solutions are full of stabilisers(other chemicals), seems the lower the % solution the more stabilisers are in them. something to consider, id go for the 35%(food grade) if i had the choice.(h2o2 will kick its head in!!)

Last edited:

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Hey Sarge. Nice project you are doing. Are you running DWC or RDWC? I have been dealing with a local company, they have some new prototype units. They deal specially in Microbubble technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jsHNt0ljs&feature=channel_video_title

This is one of the newest units on the market. If you could do some good tests, I may send you one for further testing. Here are some tests I would like to see once you get your meter

1) DO of water in your dwc/rdwc system
2) turn off all circulation and bubbles, how long does it take for DO levels to drop to critical low levels? (below 2 or 3)
3) How long does it take to restore DO levels once you start air pump, air stones, etc...

If these test are easy for your to run and have interesting results, we may send you a micro-bubble test unit for further testing. thanks! (tagged)

All three scenarios will be tested.
Thanks for the input.
BTW, I run swc.

Scroggerman,

I will get the 35% food grade from the health food store and possibly some 27%-32% from the pool/spa store. I just thought I'd throw in the 3% to illustrate what's most cost effective.

hazydreams

sarge,

my thoughts on the power heads (based on experience and very little testing) is that they are good for additional DO, but i would never leave them as my sole means of adding oxygen. i would love to see a cheepo unit from petco side by side with an open tube pump/airstone equipped one.

just the fact that you have that meter makes me envious in the tech nerd way.

about the "bitchy ness." i can understand where you came from, i saw that post too.... FWIW the last guy who did this borrowed the DO meter from a friend and only posted half the data results he promised, and it went down hill from there. He got bombarded with crazy requests for special stones, pumps, bells, whistles and dildos to be attached and tested.... easy to ask for when its not your money being spent on the equipment...

thanks for laying out the dough to do a real world simulation.
happy testing man!

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Hazy,
You saw the same thread I saw.
Dude didn't deliver what he promised, but like you said, some of the requests were a little over the top.
Dildos. hahahahahaha

Scrogerman

Veteran
All three scenarios will be tested.
Thanks for the input.
BTW, I run swc.

Scroggerman,

I will get the 35% food grade from the health food store and possibly some 27%-32% from the pool/spa store. I just thought I'd throw in the 3% to illustrate what's most cost effective.

Ok bro for sure, but stabilisers i dont like & the food grade can be mixed to lower % ratio anyway. G'Luck with this sarge, relly like it & im impressed you went & spent a decent amount of cash of a means of testing thats gonna pay off. Nice job Sarge!

oh dont forget to get the deionised water to go with your food grade h2o2! n G'Luck!

luv2grow

you can use a small amount of h2o2 to increase the DO ppm level without harming beneficials.
i used (from memory) something like 3-4ml 17.5% in 10 litres solution every 2-3days.
if DO was the limiting factor you might get a few %increase in yield. if not u wont see a difference lol.
rather than trying to use a difficult method to increase DO content, why not take note of heath robinson, he circulates a LOT of solution, this compensates.
unless you getting 35-50ppm DO supersaturated (it only stays in the solution for seconds before falling back to normal for the degreeC) your best circulating more solution and agitating it like him.
there was a scientific journal what studied plant growth around a waterfall plunge pool describes this in detail. (no i dont have it no more sorry guys)

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
The meter and supplies arrived late last week. Everything calibrated up just fine and the diagnostics on the electrode look good.
I will start the testing next week once I have some time to document the results.
picture.php

hazydreams

i know your one calculating methodical mofo, which make me really look forward to your documentation on this subject.