What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'Solo Cloning' - Cheap and Easy Cloning

greenspiritz

so you recommend aerating the water, 24/7 for the full two weeks?

Certainly, yes! Or if not, replace new every few days with the same temperature water to prevent shock.

For the price of an Airpump and a stone, its a no brainer when dealing with a lot of cuttings on a budget :tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I use salt shaker for my cuttings, can do up to 12 at a time,
smaller cuts, but unless you commercial water is the best.

Thunk:

picture.php

Temps are critical, below 65F or above 85F no bueno.

mexweed

Veteran

Certainly, yes! Or if not, replace new every few days with the same temperature water to prevent shock.

For the price of an Airpump and a stone, its a no brainer when dealing with a lot of cuttings on a budget :tiphat:

cool, I need to get some more air pumps for the increase in tea I'm going to have to be making anyway, I think I might just get a 1 gallon bucket or mixing bowl and float the cuts with neoprene plugs

Peregrin Took

In regards to changing the water, I've never had an issue with keeping the same water the whole time. However, if you do feel the need to, I do recommend waiting 5-7 days before the first change.

The only time I have had issues with this my water, s when I changed out the water in the first few days. Water got all nasty, clones didn't root. Only did this one time, so not exactly a clinical study, but good enough for me.

I think the reason is akin to why some hydro growers wait some period like 10 days or two weeks after setup before changing their reservoir water.

If I recall it allows a protective biofilm (some kinda algae/bacteria?) to build up over the cuttings/roots.

What I do now is after about a week, I will take a peek at the water in each cup, if I see one that's starting to look funky, I'll switch it out, but other than that I just leave em.

X

xavier7995

Do you guys use rooting hormones when going into water? It seems like it would rinse away before having a chance to do its thing, but maybe that quick dip is all it needs? Normally I just clone into cups of sterilized coco, but this looks neat and for whatever reason I like to change things up all the time.

Peregrin Took

I use rooting hormones, however it would probably work without it, just take longer.

Most rooting hormones will stick to the stem somewhat even submerging, as far as the powdered stuff goes (think mud). Lately I use the snazzy gel kinds which make things a little easier and stick a bit better.

greenspiritz

What's the best soil to drop rooted clones into. Normal promix?

I personally prefer (Biobizz lightmix) and (H&G - Root Excelurator)
This is the result after dipping the clone in Clonex, then rooting the clone in water for 2 weeks then transplanting in (Biobizz light mix) and 1 dose of H&G - Root Excelurator.

Disclaimer: Some strains can take longer to root or quicker to root, also, it will depend where on the mother the cutting was taken. Patience is key :tiphat:

Attachments

• 70452301_362504797965668_3280422104297635840_n.jpg
    70452301_362504797965668_3280422104297635840_n.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 70399369_534224223996241_3840678546288672768_n.jpg
    70399369_534224223996241_3840678546288672768_n.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 71701235_402351850694557_7028141860195401728_n.jpg
    71701235_402351850694557_7028141860195401728_n.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 41

mexweed

Veteran
the stuff I have is called life cloning solution and it's mix 1 tbsp per gallon of water, so instead of worrying about dipping in powder or gel you can just mix it for the water in the cup, also aloe water might be worth looking into

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
No rooting powder in my method.

I pot rooted cuts in a seedling organic mix for a couple weeks,
first up pot is into coco, the rooted cutting rinsed of the soil first.

Good thread.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
I like simple.
Have tried this before but temps were too low. Going to give it another go..

mexweed

Veteran
so I just grabbed some 5oz dixie cups, I'm going to cut the bottom out of one to use for a plug and float it in another cup filled with the life solution water

X

xavier7995

I have six or so going in water sans rooting hormones, will see how it goes, been about a week and a half and they haven't flopped over or anything. Figured they would be alright without a dome, just stuck them under a few small CFLs in a tote with the lid ajar to let heat out.

...and I am overdue to change out the water. If they flop that's on me.

mexweed

Veteran
I took 6 cuts last night and have them in the cups, I'm just hoping the bottoms of the cups I have them floating in last 2 weeks in water, gonna do fresh water every 2 days, we'll see how they look tonight I just put them on a far edge of the tent under 18/6

mexweed

Veteran
no signs of roots and they have drooped a lot, I think conditions in the tent are too intense, in the future I am going to make a separate set up and give it another go

Treevly

Now your done, simply stick em under some low wattage lighting, and wait. After around a week or so, you can start lifting the top cup and checking for roots. Takes me anywhere from 5-15 days to start seeing 'em.

What is the air temperature in your space?

Thanks

Swamp Thang

Veteran
In regards to changing the water, I've never had an issue with keeping the same water the whole time. However, if you do feel the need to, I do recommend waiting 5-7 days before the first change.

The only time I have had issues with this my water, s when I changed out the water in the first few days. Water got all nasty, clones didn't root. Only did this one time, so not exactly a clinical study, but good enough for me.

I think the reason is akin to why some hydro growers wait some period like 10 days or two weeks after setup before changing their reservoir water.

If I recall it allows a protective biofilm (some kinda algae/bacteria?) to build up over the cuttings/roots.

What I do now is after about a week, I will take a peek at the water in each cup, if I see one that's starting to look funky, I'll switch it out, but other than that I just leave em.

Stumbled on this thread after numerous failures with a DIY bubbler and with plain soil as a clone growing medium. Just started out with about ten cuttings this way, but didn't use cloning gel or powder. In my bubbler, I found that cloning gel tended to encourage the growth of brown slime. If this method works, I'll be grateful forever to you Peregrin Took.

I have one final question. When the roots finally grow out, do you carefully cut the dixie cup away, or simply pull the clone out through the same hole that was drilled in the top of the cup without any worries regarding damage to the roots as a result of such an extraction?

Latest posts

Latest posts