What's new

Will certain strains NOT FLOWER if the dark period temperatures are too high?

Q

quokka

Yes, things started flowering after the days got cooler and shorter.

Thanks. :)

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
it's an old thread, but I'm very surprised no one asked you "when you say 11/13, you mean 13 hours OFF right?"

EDIT: I think you were probably right though, the heat stress was possibly causing them to stop progressing...

Q

quokka

Yes 13 hours off, but i do believe they should flower fine with 13 hours on too.......

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
it's true, most should but some sativas are easier to deal with at 11/13 and even 10/14 or they just keep on growing (you have to cut out N on real long flowering types as well)..... I'm guessing there's the odd strain that would be really sensitive to the length of the photo period and just never get into flower if the day was even slightly too long... it was worth checking in any case .. glad it worked out in the end :)

Q

quokka

^^This, was not the problem, i am quite sure.

Preflowers, preflowers, preflowers for 4-6 weeks isn't just being impatient with the different strains i had.

how cool was it when they started to flower? (80?). Earlier in the tread someone mention that you could be lacking co2, what was your air exchange like? was it adequate?

Q

quokka

Yeah, i never had anything to measure it but it was sucking the sides of the tent in pretty badly, and i've downsized the exhaust fan now and they look healthy, so i don't think that was a problem.

I'm not sure what the temperature was when things started flowering properly, just that it was obscenely hot when they weren't flowering. :redface:

I should have a temperature gage, but i think i'll just have to avoid using the tent during summer.

one more question. what did you do with the canopy? you said you had 4 weeks of preflowers. thats 4 weeks of extra veg must of had some big plants. did you tie them down? cut off the extra growth?

Q

quokka

They weren't super stretchy, but i just squished some stems and trained them a bit.

It seemed like they didn't know whether to veg or flower, sort of like sparse pistils.

I'm pretty sure it was just from heat.