What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Natty’s Nook

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Ok, I decided I needed a spot to chronicle/journal this year’s garden, so I’m staking out this corner! :tumbleweed:
Since tomorrow is the official “last frost” day around here, (May 15), I thought it would be a good time to start.
Here’s a list of what I’ve got going so far…

Lettuce- including: Paris Island Romaine, Petite Rouge Romaine, Little Gem, Bibb, and a cute pink spotted variety a friend gave me…
in addition to: Arugula, Red Cabbage, Broccoli, Peas, Snow Peas, Green Beans, Cucumbers, Celery, Candy Onions (from last year), Carrots, Strawberries,
Brussel Sprouts, [which I’m growing for Mesa’s dad, since he loves them- (weirdo!)]
…Spearmint, several varieties of Lavender and Salvia, Cat Mint, (another holdover from last season), Thyme (3 plants from last season), Chives, (a plant that must have been planted by the previous owner, that has returned for the last 3+ years), Lilac bush, small Succulent bed,
…As well as Tomatoes, Peppers and Melons, which are in my little cold frame, and are almost ready to be put out…

We also have a (baby) mini-‘orchard' with: Black Walnut Trees, Pears, Peaches, Apricots, Cherries, Apples, Grape vines and a trellis ready for Raspberries, (which I still have to put in.)

It’s the most peaceful place to sit and read, I sit on the back patio for at least a couple hours every morning, enjoying a morning toke and cup of tea, while I listen to all the birds singing and watch the hummingbirds zoom around from garden/feeder to garden/feeder.
Anyways, here’s a few early pix…More to come.
:witch:

Small lettuce patch…celery, lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts…lettuce patch…

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Oooh! I want to live in this garden... Thanks for starting this thread Natty! I am doing a big container garden on my front porch this year. From potatoes to tomatoes and herbs galore... it is a lot of fun. Good eating also! I don't grow it unless I can eat it. :)

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Aww, thank you so much Payaso and Unclefishsticks! :D So glad you two stopped by!
…The stone work is what made me fall in love with the house. The man who built it was a stone mason; you can tell he put a lot of thought in to the placement of each stone, carefully placing each one. He put in stone walls around all the terracing, small round planters (25+), plus several raised beds, as well as a stone patio with a fountain and fire pit, in addition to the fireplace(s). I’ll upload a photo of the back patio sometime.

Thanks again for the company!
You should come by one morning for tea, tokes and hummingbirds! :kos:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,well my stone work is not near so nice but i sure am enjoying during my scrap of barren desert into a garden.

good to see yah around,the worlds a better place when its a bit nattier!

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coooool thread nats, love the pics!! Looks very peaceful and chill!! Im with ya on the brussell sprouts, yuckville lol
We planted the majority of our garden today, its a good feeling, knowing there will be bounty in the months ahead :D
Keep us up on the grow and the hummers hehee

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Didnt know there was a gardening forum till I started a thread and it got moved to the gardening section. Nice to meet you. Great edibles.

G

greenmatter

we actually grow more than pot?

stoners are full of surprises

enjoy your oasis natty

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Garden is looking great Natty!

I have some of my containers planted, but the main garden only has peas and pole beans atm. Gotta hit the farmers market for some tomato starts and get the veggies I started from seed that are in 3" pots into the ground too.

I think chives live forever lol. My chive plant is still growing strong 15 years after I planted it.

Payaso

Veteran
I spent the weekend with my container garden on the deck... safest way to grow around here. Keeps the deer off of my plants. :) Saw the nicest little baby fawn in the yard yesterday... tiny and cute as could be. Trying awfully hard to keep up with Mom as they passed by - looking for something green to eat I am sure ;)

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Nattynatty so nice to see ya back at it.. ;)

here's a little fella you might like to share a morni wake n bake with

Jhhnn

Veteran
Very nice. We garden stuff other than the sacred herb, too, even here in the heart of the city. Not having much space, we go with our faves- snap peas, tomatoes, cucumbers, french pole beans, eggplant & an italian heirloom squash, zuchetta. Sometimes corn. This year, we're going in for more melons, trellised vertically. Green Nutmeg melons are out of this world, incredible.

Our little plot has been getting compost for 20 years, so tomatoes in cages reach 8'. Texas tomato cages are the only things that'll hold 'em.

Haven't worked up the nerve to plant cannabis outdoors- I'd play hell keeping it shorter than the privacy fence, I think... Maybe autoflowers next summer, after we see how the local gendarmes deal with outdoor grows, of which there are bound to be thousands.

Payaso

Veteran
Holy cow... 8' tomato plants. Wish my containers would support that much growth... :)

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
getting a late start up in the pnw. garden's greening nicely (perennials) and am getting starts this week.
who knew?

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
What great company!!
It’s so nice of you all to take the time to stop by! :thank you:

Unc, you sir, are too kind! Your post made my day!!
Mr. Sterling, thank you so much for stopping by! I love growing veggies and herbs! I get ridiculously excited each morning when I go out to check on things, lol.
Biosynthesis, thank you for the kind words! Glad you popped by!
Mrs. Babba, glad to see you! I hope you guys will be doing a veg. garden thread again this year? I always enjoy your garden threads so much!
GreenMatter, multi-taskering! (; Thank you for coming by!
Noyd666, thank you so much!! I hope to see you again soon!
AzGrOw-N-sMoKe…odd post…sorry to disappoint? …but thank you for popping in just the same!
Blynx, Good to see you! I have some of the pink spotted lettuce going again, they were great last year!
Payaso, I just love container gardening!! Not only does it look adorable, it is so much easier for me to take care of, (weeding is tough on me.) You should try to get a photo of the baby deer! We have some visit too; they ate all the tulips before they could bloom. Luckily, every other garden, is blocked by terracing and/or irrigation canals…’Stratergy', as a former pres. would put it. ;) But I’m certain I'll have problems w/ the birds eating all of my peas and beans again…
Chuckie, Oh sweetest Chuck! I’m so glad to see you stop in! ((((hugs!)))) Thank you for coming!!
paladin420, OH. MY. goodness!!!! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen!! I just want to squeeze it!!
Jhhnn, I hope you will be making a veg. garden thread as well? …I’d love to see your garden; especially your monster tomato plants!! I’m planning to do a few melons this year as well, (Minnesota Midget Cantaloupes and Sugar Baby Watermelons), even though I didn’t have much luck with them last year.
As far as growing cannabis outdoors goes, that is something we have aspirations to do next season too! You have to do it in a locked structure here, 'out of public view’; but hopefully some day soon, we’ll both be growing monsters under the sun! :)
Trichrider, enjoy your belated spring and thank you for stopping by!
Trichy, last but definitely not least!! (; I’m so glad to see you, thank you for coming by!

I’ll be posting more pix next time, been really busy! But, I’ve started lots more seeds and added to my succulent garden; the veggies and herbs are going crazy! And my perennial gardens are starting to fill in too! I also started Celery and Romaine lettuce “re-grows”, from the Romaine lettuce and celery I got at the farmers market; after making an epic salad, I put their “butts” in water and a few days latter, they all have a surprising amount of new growth! It’s definitely salad time around here!! Speaking of which, I better get dinner started!

Thanks again to each of you!
Hope to see you all again soon!
:wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts