What's new

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

h.h.

Veteran
FUGgv9eXEAMcebK
54% 0f the vote? Nope.

Three Berries

Poor student achievement and near-zero accountability: An indictment of Illinois’ public education system​

This report focuses on Decatur School District 61 because it’s arguably the poster child for the education system’s failures. Just 9 percent of Decatur’s 3rd-grade students can read at grade level. And every year the district graduates hundreds of students who are grossly unprepared for either college or a career.

It’s the same story everywhere

Decatur may be the poster child for the education system’s failures, but it’s far from the only example. The same story of poor student achievement and near-zero accountability can be seen across the state.

Take, for example, reading proficiency for black 3rd-graders in 2019. In Rockford, just 7 percent were proficient. In Dolton SD 149, 7 percent. In Cahokia, 5 percent. In Peoria, 8 percent.

Same for Hispanic 3rd-graders. In Elgin, just 11 percent could read at grade level. In Waukegan, 16 percent. In Aurora East, 13 percent. Harvard SD 50, 9 percent. And it’s not just minorities who are failing. Just 15 percent of white 3rd-graders in East Alton could read at grade level. In Quincy, 28 percent. In Mount Vernon, 25 percent. And in Plano, 11 percent.

Chicago Public Schools outcomes, while higher, still leave only a quarter of the district’s 330,000 kids able to read or do math at grade level.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
too many people have realized that hell is right here on earth with us. is there anything worse than waking up one morning to realize that your children (whom you've worked your ass off for) have grown up to be self-centered sociopaths, or that your wife (whom you would have cheerfully died fighting to protect) no longer has any more interest in you than she has for last weeks newspapers, which she doesn't read anyway... a friend of mine had this happen. his wife said she was tired of being married & took him for "her half" of all he had worked for. he told me "if i had killed her instead of marrying her, i'd have been out of jail years ago, and been much happier..." she cheated on him long-term with a neighbor "because you're always at work!" after she'd been on him to "work all of the overtime you can get, because we need the money..." :booked:

h.h.

Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts