What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants dying overnight

issack

Veteran
Could this be strain dependent? I have never grown Pineapple Chunk indoors , and my last run was all Pineapple Chunk, and this run the only one that died is a pineapple chunk, so my mountain apple OG on the left is looking really good I don't know just a theory

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
why do you water so often in coco? i don't like to go more then 4 times every 12 hours and no water during lights off. but again this can't be the reason for the problem, just with dtw you must waste quite some water, is it really beneficial? i know it does no harm, have left my pump on for days by accident and this was a re circulating set up, plants didnt bat an eye.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Fusarium Wilt. It is always present in soil. Have you had contamination?

It can spread. Remove infected plants fast. And do not recirc until it goes away.

I used potassium silicate. It slows it down. And a very unorthadox bleach application.

I pulled a dead plant from the media. Noticed the infection is right at the base of plant. It stinks bad. You may also notice swollen tissue and maybe some brown areas right at the base.
I used bleach at 10%. Just a quick mist of top of media. And a few cc on base of plants.

NOT A DRENCH.

Anyway I got a 70% survival rate. The rest died. Apparently I am the first to beat it as nobody believed me. It is generally 100% mortality once infected...i disagree.

prune

Veteran
Ya, overwatering I think, so much so that the colder less active plants get soggy and moldy (as the foreign guy says). Then the trays are an open vector to spread the disease.
Sometimes (especially with short ceilings) you need a fan underneath a split to further defuse and break its cold spots. and then the overwatering...

issack

Veteran
Overwatering in coco.? They are 4 feet tall in a 2 gallon pots. They drink like no other . When lights first come on I have to hit the Button on my DNE timer 3 to 4 times just to get run off. And by end of the cycle before lights are out rhere is no wet areas in the gutters or where it drains out of each pot. So it's drinking every drop

issack

Veteran
Fusarium Wilt. It is always present in soil. Have you had contamination?

It can spread. Remove infected plants fast. And do not recirc until it goes away.

I used potassium silicate. It slows it down. And a very unorthadox bleach application.

I pulled a dead plant from the media. Noticed the infection is right at the base of plant. It stinks bad. You may also notice swollen tissue and maybe some brown areas right at the base.
I used bleach at 10%. Just a quick mist of top of media. And a few cc on base of plants.

NOT A DRENCH.

Anyway I got a 70% survival rate. The rest died. Apparently I am the first to beat it as nobody believed me. It is generally 100% mortality once infected...i disagree.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73599&pictureid=1758250]View Image[/url]

I'm in Coco doing drain to waste each pot is its own entity. I noticed the pic you posted is flood and drain. And the symptoms don't look like the plants you just posted either. They simply just Wilt and die from a perfect condition the day before

issack

Veteran
Leaves are starting to fall as the plants mature. I'm noticing dead leaves falling on top of the pots I'm just leaving them there right now. Super hard to reach under there.. maybe they're creating a mold? Some kind of fungus?

issack

Veteran
why do you water so often in coco? i don't like to go more then 4 times every 12 hours and no water during lights off. but again this can't be the reason for the problem, just with dtw you must waste quite some water, is it really beneficial? i know it does no harm, have left my pump on for days by accident and this was a re circulating set up, plants didnt bat an eye.

I'm going off the coco trees method.. the Stickley in the Coco forums. That guy ended up every hour feeding and the concept is to feed as often as you can and create as much oxygen in the plant with fresh water.. low EC. I don't go over 850ppm. I do waist about 6 gallons in a 12 hour setting though. I don't care about waist. I was just mimicking this method. And from what I have researched is that it's really almost impossible to over water coco plants especially in the stage like this with their drinking as much as they can.. but maybe i am overwatering .?? Idk at this point. I'm open to every single option that could be a problem.

issack

Veteran
Ya, overwatering I think, so much so that the colder less active plants get soggy and moldy (as the foreign guy says). Then the trays are an open vector to spread the disease.
Sometimes (especially with short ceilings) you need a fan underneath a split to further defuse and break its cold spots. and then the overwatering...

I don't understand what you mean by trays . This is a DTW system. There is no flood trays where all the plants get the same solution recirculating where something can spread from the water.
I'm completely ruling out overwatering everyone.. there is no possible way I'm over-watering with 4ft plants in 2 gallon pots that drink almost 30 gallons a night. And by the time lights go out the medium is almost dry.
This plant that died is under the a/c though. And it gets cold there I'm sure.
I have no mold no powdery mildew or anything in this room I've never actually had powdery mildew in a grow room. I always Overkill everything and make sure my climate is perfect I spend the highest dollar to make it work.
Come to think of it now on the last run the plants that died we're in direct line of the AC when lights are out. ( this one too) Cause when lights are on the blower fans divert the air. As well and oscillating fans.. maybe they're getting too cold? When lights are out

ozzieAI

Veteran
the only time i have seen plants die so quickly the cause was root rot...did you check the health of the roots on the plant that died?

good luck...

issack

Veteran
the only time i have seen plants die so quickly the cause was root rot...did you check the health of the roots on the plant that died?

good luck...

Roots were full. Nice and white. No smell or slime spots.
On my last run I had one runt plant. And it was not drinking at all close to the others. So water would pore out of it because the small root system and plant. That plant never died. But others that were big died. So I'm still at a dead end with overwatering. If its root rot then that small plant that was overwatered for 6 weeks would have been the first to go..

mushroombrew

Veteran
Yes roots look fine fusarium affect the uptake of water and nutrients by blocking Xylem. My roots were perfect. But when I pulled the plant from media the roots stayed behind and the stalk came out clean. The infection is right where the roots meet the stalk. Have a good poke around. If it's fusarium it stinks bad.

issack

Veteran

good luck...

Roots were full. Nice and white. No smell or slime spots.
On my last run I had one runt plant. And it was not drinking at all close to the others. So water would pore out of it because the small root system and plant. That plant never died. But others that were big died. So I'm still at a dead end with overwatering. If its root rot then that small plant that was overwatered for 6 weeks would have been the first to go..

mushroombrew

Veteran
I have always admired your grow by the way. I hope you get this figured out. It's awful when you don't know the cause.

This plant was a clone when I had the outbreak. I never treated it; recovered on its own.

This is fusarium scarring. Have a good look at your stems. You may have some lesions/slight cracking without the plant exhibiting symptoms yet...

MedResearcher

Veteran
Some sort of Root or Stalk issue, probably fungal.

Some genetics are more prone to the fungal wilts. Possible switching genetics it won't happen again.

The extreme light and heat just speed up the death, hence why you see it in the hot spots. I have seen it outside in quite a few gardens. In the cool morning plant is perfect, heat of the day, boom wilted. Nice green 5 pound bush, couple days later a pile of crap.

Mycostop works well. You can salvage a plant, and protect the still healthy ones with it. Next run make some adjustments to add more air to the medium or use some sort of preventative product.

Sucks, but the room looks good. Hopefully you can adjust a thing or two and never see it again. It is a bit odd to happen in pure Coco.

Mr^^

issack

Veteran
Some sort of Root or Stalk issue, probably fungal.

Some genetics are more prone to the fungal wilts. Possible switching genetics it won't happen again.

The extreme light and heat just speed up the death, hence why you see it in the hot spots. I have seen it outside in quite a few gardens. In the cool morning plant is perfect, heat of the day, boom wilted. Nice green 5 pound bush, couple days later a pile of crap.

Mycostop works well. You can salvage a plant, and protect the still healthy ones with it. Next run make some adjustments to add more air to the medium or use some sort of preventative product.

Sucks, but the room looks good. Hopefully you can adjust a thing or two and never see it again. It is a bit odd to happen in pure Coco.

Mr^^

Thanks man. And thank you for the pic. Got me in my room now with a flashlight looking at stalks. Haha.. don't see anything. But I bet that's it.. And yes strains. Seems pineapple chunk likes to have this. The OG is doing fine. It's been 3 days and no more dying plants . Only one so far. Just need 10 more days and I'll be golden.. Then harvest.
I'm just trying to think of any kind of changes because if anybody is well-versed in the OG biowar teas, that stuff eats slime, eats mold, and eats bacteria.. and it's noticeable. I noticed when I pore that in my reservoir I hardly get any slime. I use it religiously that and sm-90.. I can't go chem all the way because the biowar is the only thing that keeps me from root afids. I've tried peroxide before and all that but I could never get rid of root aphids I've done azamax drenches all kinds of stuff.. OG biowar teas always in your Reservoir will make it to where you won't have anything living in your soil and it makes the roots nice and white.. I just don't understand how I'm getting rot.

Next run is purple wreck and Green Crack s1 original cut. Hopefully that is resistant. And I added 2 oscillating fans on the floor to concentrate the wind under my canopy.. Fingers crossed.!!