What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

Snype

Veteran
Just wanna chime in as to how much I dig my Bhogart....
It's awesome, capable, simple, and affordable. There are some upgrades
I would recomend, but as a system, it's solid. If anyone has any
questions about my setup, feel free to send them my way...

Ok, so I will order the 1 pound model with the 3x36" tube. What about those upgrades?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Some of the Upgrades I would suggest are:
Larger collection pot (10x12) as I believe the 6x6 is just too small.
Larger butane tank. I still use the one for the 1lb model, but am wanting to
upgrade to the bigger one (+250$) and I want to put valves right on
the orifices, rather than the Flare-hose-valve setup.

Also, I just ordered the Appion Megaflow hose (http://www.trutechtools.com/MegaFlow-12-in-Hose--6ft_p_1646.html) to decrease recovery time...

Hash Man

^ thats sound advice...
just get the 2.5lb model... and some smaller spools incase u uhave smaller runs.
very soon. they are going to be releasing a double sided pot that u can actually put water into so you will no longer need a water bath. I ordered a custom bottom plate with a 1/4" flare and an extractor stand so i can just dump my tane into a pyrex instead of pour... I am still waiting to hear if it is possible to put a slope in there so it can drain efficiently...

dirkvid

He gives you everything you need except the vac pump and the appion.
You can get some good vac-pump & chamber deals on ebay.

Thanks! I have appion and Bhogart ordered now. Any one have a link to a decent vac-pump & chamber seller?

Hash Man

Lots of info on here depending what u are looking for.
Harbor freight, fjc, yellowjacket for pump, inlab, vacitpro, across international for chamber/oven.

Hash Man

I think people are "dewaxing" like this...
Use the pour off method into a room temp or cold pyrex.
The waxes precipitate out if its cold outside or if u have some ice under the pyrex.
Take the pyrex and tilt it, and the waxes can be scooped out before the solvent evaporates. You dont need dry ice to do this, but u probly will pull less wax out of the material with a dry ice run.

Dewaxed, single solvent. Same ideah. Just without alcohol.
brett maverick said:
Chilling liquid butane with the oil dissolved in it, to -30F and below. letting it set for an hour or so. Then filtering while its still cold. You remove the same stuff. Thing is butane is more volatile than any terp. So its possible to remove all the solvent without loosing those volatile terps. Winterized batches that I see tested are super high ppm, or super low terps.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I don't really get the last part of Brett's statement "Winterized batches that I see tested are super high ppm, or super low terps."

Also, since we already have coffee filters on our extractors and the trim/nugs act as a filter of sorts, why not just supercool your butane to start with? Anyone know the freezing point of butane?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Or what about using a MT69 backwards? Put the MT69 in a bowl of DI and ISO, and run the butane thru it into your tube? Or a jockey box?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't really get the last part of Brett's statement "Winterized batches that I see tested are super high ppm, or super low terps."

Also, since we already have coffee filters on our extractors and the trim/nugs act as a filter of sorts, why not just supercool your butane to start with? Anyone know the freezing point of butane?

N Butane freezes at about 135.4C http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/001007.pdf

Isobutane freezes at about 160C.

We had problems with any moisture present freezing up in a MT-69 when in an alcohol/dryice bath.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
The Appion MegaFlow hose showed up 3 minutes after I started my
first wash on my last batch today, damnit! Running again tomorrow, will
report my findings then. The thing is huge! looks like a hydraulic line...
Just need to change out the fitting on the tank lid...

Permacultuure

Veteran
I've experienced that the mega flows can begin to leak at the threads after a month or two....I was told by my local RSD guys that this is common and to avoid using them. I ordered kobra hoses from RSD that are identical to the megaflows. They are a custom order but the same price as mega flows, even a little cheaper if you buy enough.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Hmmm your RSD guy told you they leak and you should buy their hoses?
Sounds like a car salesman I know.

Who is RSD?

Also, the seals are replaceable....

RSD is Refrigeration Supply Depot.

Ive switched to stainless hoses with JIC connections throughout the system. Corrugated Stainless is rate for much colder temps than teflon lined hoses.

The same size hose as the megaflow in all stainless cost me 125 to get made locally.

Permacultuure

Veteran
No I went in trying to find an alternative to mega flows because two had began leaking....they chuckled and said nobody uses those. They gave me a more affordable alternative but would have gladly ordered me more megaflows if i was a stubborn prick. Obviously the o rings can be replaced but its the threads that are the problem.

RSD is Refrigeration Supplies Distributor and they don't make commission off their sales. I wish they did cause they are super helpful and don't shun me because I'm extracting and use cash....I trust the opinion of guys that have been using these tools for decades.....

Latest posts

Latest posts