What's new

Can I use this LED light for growing?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Here is my situation... I have my grow setup pretty well tuned but I have a temporary problem.

I need to keep 1 mother alive while I make a transition in my veg room. It is not a huge plant about 2 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot.

But I need to keep it alive for 2 months until my veg room is ready again. Then, I'll clone her and mulch her.

I have an extra tent she can stay in but I don't have an extra light.

I usually use T5's for vegging but with LED lights becoming the norm, I just didn't want to buy another T5. Especially since I only need it for 2 months.

All the cheapo LED 'grow' lights are blurple and I absolutely hate blurple light. So, I am definitely not wanting one of those. In fact, I have a Mars 1800w on the shelf. Top quality LEDs are still too expensive, especially for just vegging.

So, I saw this at Home Depot....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...-Lumens-5000k-and-Dimmable-50232161/302456569

18,000 Lumens. 5000k, CRI of 90

I know it's not the perfect grow light but for $100 temporary fix to my needs, do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks

white-commercial-electric-high-bay-lights-50232161-66_1000.jpg

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't see anything wrong with it. If you can, take the lens out of it. That might help with dispersion being it's a high bay fixture.

Alternatively, do they make a low bay fixture for the same price? Might be worth looking in to.

If you do go with it, make sure to follow up on this thread. I'm curious to see how well it works and might purchase one or two for my own use.

To be honest, this light would probably be enough to keep a mom going > https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...-Lumens-4000K-Bright-White-54568141/207033190

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Something ive learned recently with a failed clone. That applies to all things veg\flower, but in this case veg....

With weaker lights like Fluros you can veg under 24hr of light.... with strong lights you HAVE to have a night cycle. Its all about figuring out how strong your light is, and knowing the plants energy quota for the day. If things are halted\slow... Its probably because they aren't getting enough sleep {too much light}.

Just get some t8s or some 3 packs of little 10-15w screw in LED lights.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=314806

Lol the summary of why i said all that... is basically you can get by with weak lights and the key would be 24hr....

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I can't see anything wrong with it. If you can, take the lens out of it. That might help with dispersion being it's a high bay fixture.

Alternatively, do they make a low bay fixture for the same price? Might be worth looking in to.

If you do go with it, make sure to follow up on this thread. I'm curious to see how well it works and might purchase one or two for my own use.

To be honest, this light would probably be enough to keep a mom going > https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...-Lumens-4000K-Bright-White-54568141/207033190

What's the difference between a 'low bay' and a 'high bay'? Just the lens?

That one you linked is only 1300 lumens. The one I posted is 18000 lumens. Not sure how much difference that really makes but the numbers sure are far apart.

Thanks

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's the difference between a 'low bay' and a 'high bay'? Just the lens?
Low bay usd to refer to the shape of the reflector. Low bay's allowed the light to spread out quickly in areas where you didn't have a high ceiling. High bays reflected light much more focused. The light's have to have a much higher ceiling to light up the same area as a low bay. LED's are a different animal though. It might be as simple as changing out or removing the lens to get the low bay performance.

In a tent, a low bay would be more appropriate because you're in a limited ceiling height scenario. A high bay will work, the light will just be much more focused downwards.

That one you linked is only 1300 lumens. The one I posted is 18000 lumens. Not sure how much difference that really makes but the numbers sure are far apart.

Thanks
I was trying to say that you don't need the 18000 lumen light to keep a mom going for a couple months in a tent. With mom's you want to maintain them, not necessarily "grow" them, if that makes sense. I would be more than comfortable keeping a mom going under a 1300 lumen light. She'd be a tight little bonsai momma! :biggrin:

But do whatever you want. Neither way is wrong.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I was trying to say that you don't need the 18000 lumen light to keep a mom going for a couple months in a tent. With mom's you want to maintain them, not necessarily "grow" them, if that makes sense. I would be more than comfortable keeping a mom going under a 1300 lumen light. She'd be a tight little bonsai momma! :biggrin:

But do whatever you want. Neither way is wrong.

Good point. I was comparing the output from my T5 at about 40k lumens and figured I should get as close to that as possible but you're right about keeping it lower and keeping her 'petite'. LOL

Thanks again

Tex24

Ring - That lamp will work for what you are doing. If you have a PAR meter you need to be 300+. 5000K will give you high lumen but not very high PAR value. Keep us posted.