What's new

how are you guys blocking the light from the windows?

T

TREE KING

for my indoor grow i block off my windows using heavy duty sticky velcro around the window and then i stick a black tarp to it. the only problem is that down the road when i decide to move after i take the velcro off theres sticky glue from the velcro that i cant get off. does anyone know a way to block the windows off without destroying the window sill with glue like im doing?

I

Iron_Lion

I've got my widow done up over kill but what I have is a normal window shade hung to look normal from outside, then over that I have a black out curtain then over that I have a piece of black and white poly cut larger than the widow and that is taped to the wall using masking tape. Masking tape works pretty well, it holds good and doesnt leave sticky residue.

But if you already have sticky residue you can use this stuff called Goo Gone to get it off. You can get it at walmart, or the grocery store or even home depot.

googone.gif

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
for my indoor grow i block off my windows using heavy duty sticky velcro around the window and then i stick a black tarp to it. the only problem is that down the road when i decide to move after i take the velcro off theres sticky glue from the velcro that i cant get off. does anyone know a way to block the windows off without destroying the window sill with glue like im doing?

I once had my grow area in a bedroom close to the front door.

I blocked the window off with black plastic and duct tape.

One morning I woke to find 1000W blazing out the window at 4.00 AM....it was rather bright.

I learned a bit more after that.

T

TREE KING

I've got my widow done up over kill but what I have is a normal window shade hung to look normal from outside, then over that I have a black out curtain then over that I have a piece of black and white poly cut larger than the widow and that is taped to the wall using masking tape. Masking tape works pretty well, it holds good and doesnt leave sticky residue.

But if you already have sticky residue you can use this stuff called Goo Gone to get it off. You can get it at walmart, or the grocery store or even home depot.

googone.gif

wow so maybe i can still do it my way and then just get some goo gone. thanks Iron_Lion

BattleAxe

googone.gif

+1 for the goo gone. WD40 is also real good for removing adhesives. Just spray and rub with a green scratch pad.

T

TREE KING

the only thing im thinking about now is the window im about to seal off doesnt have a window sill or wood around the window if you know what i mean. that means im gonna have to put the velcro on the wall around the window. hopefully when i use the goo gone it wont destroy the paint on the wall

thanks battleaxe. what would be better to not rub paint off the wall, goo gone or wd40?

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
:2cents: I realize this probably won't be exactly what you were looking for suggestion wise; however, if it was me, I would first put up blinds and then either black construction plastic or a tarp on the 'inside' of the blinds; so that from outside, you just see blinds, not a tarp or black construction plastic, which I feel might be 'brow raising'. :dunno: You can get some inexpensive sets of blinds at the De'pot, for $30. max. And I would probably use a staple gun, or teeny nails, to tack the plastic/tarp to the small, raised "lip" on the outer edge of the molding around the window, OR to the frame around the window, if you don't have molding.

You are very wise to steer away from the velcro; that sticky stuff really is a PITA to remove!
(I've been faced with that very challenge, after removing my kitty window benches, that velcro to the window cill...I used a ton of 'Goo Gone' and a scrapper.)
If it wasn't so difficult to get off, it would be a great option...

I hope, (although I doubt), that this is at least mildly helpful! :)
Best wishes for frequent, frosty and bountiful harvests! :smoke:
:witch:

EDIT: well I see I'm a pokey poster!! :biglaugh:

T

TREE KING

:2cents: I realize this probably won't be exactly what you were looking for suggestion wise; however, if it was me, I would first put up blinds and then either black construction plastic or a tarp on the 'inside' of the blinds; so that from outside, you just see blinds, not a tarp or black construction plastic, which I feel might be 'brow raising'. :dunno: You can get some inexpensive sets of blinds at the De'pot, for $30. max. And I would probably use a staple gun, or teeny nails, to tack the plastic/tarp to the small, raised "lip" on the outer edge of the molding around the window, OR to the frame around the window, if you don't have molding.

You are very wise to steer away from the velcro; that sticky stuff really is a PITA to remove!
(I've been faced with that very challenge, after removing my kitty window benches, that velcro to the window cill...I used a ton of 'Goo Gone' and a scrapper.)
If it wasn't so difficult to get off, it would be a great option...

I hope, (although I doubt), that this is at least mildly helpful! :)
Best wishes for frequent, frosty and bountiful harvests! :smoke:
:witch:

EDIT: well I see I'm a pokey poster!! :biglaugh:

nattynattygurrl, thats a great idea but the problem is there is no molding/wood around the window. there is only the wall so that means i would be nailing nails into the wall

Its simple. Drill some 4x8 OSB particle board (painted white) over the whole window for zero light leak. Simply putty up the 4-6 screw holes when your all done with the spot.

glue is messy.

T

TREE KING

Its simple. Drill some 4x8 OSB particle board (painted white) over the whole window for zero light leak. Simply putty up the 4-6 screw holes when your all done with the spot.

glue is messy.

thats actually a great idea. it doesnt have to be thick either just a real thin peice that blocks light. thats exactly what im gonna do, thanks!

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran

googone.gif
+1 for GooGone!! That shit will remove years of caked adhesive. This stuff is crazy!!!

Damn!! I can't give more rep till tomorrow..

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Hang a cheap blind in the window before boarding it up. Looks a little less conspicuous. It's also a good idea to occasionally clean the spider webs and dust that accumulates, keeps it from looking too obvious.

T

TREE KING

Hang a cheap blind in the window before boarding it up. Looks a little less conspicuous. It's also a good idea to occasionally clean the spider webs and dust that accumulates, keeps it from looking too obvious.

i hear you. theres already blinds there

T

TREE KING

+1 for GooGone!! That shit will remove years of caked adhesive. This stuff is crazy!!!

Damn!! I can't give more rep till tomorrow..

is the goo gone gonna take the paint off if i decide to go that route? its extremely hard to get to home depot right now cause i dont have a car but i already have tarp and velcro

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I built a 2x4 frame that fits (tightly) within the window pane. Then I put sheetrock/drywall on the 2x4 frame. There's also some blinds to hide my "window plug."

T

TREE KING

I built a 2x4 frame that fits (tightly) within the window pane. Then I put sheetrock/drywall on the 2x4 frame. There's also some blinds to hide my "window plug."

yet another great idea, nice!

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I use minibinds recessed in the windowsill; for that natural look and cut roofing insulation paper to fit over window opening & tack it up. Thin, easy to cut with scissors.

100% lightproof, insulated. Worked so good...I did the whole house..(except for the kitchen)...:tiphat:

saves money on heating/cooling...it's like living in a cave...:dance013:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
yet another great idea, nice!

An added benefit to doing it my way is that the sheetrock can be made to overlap the inside of the window so that there is no light leak. By gluing and screwing two sheets of sheetrock together (as is done in home theater applications) you get the benefit of reducing SOUND as well as eliminating light.