What's new

DJ Short Flo help f2.

Hank64

Hello everyone. I have been picking over the forums over the last year and this seems to be the place to get the right info with some flowers.

I have 3 DJ Short Flo going right now from breeder pack.
For obvious reasons I planted them.

I see they dont like much in the way of nutes,
They seem to like to be topped.
They dont like to bush out much.

I have the 2 females in a green house with a native soil mixed in with Coco coir and a few other things. The male is outside away just starting to open his flowers. He is so pretty. Full of purple and tight male sacks that look like buds.

Questions

What is the finish times at 40 latitude
DJ short says 7 weeks is that indoors only should I look at 9 weeks?
How many have grown F2 seeds?
Any other feedback on Flo.

Thanks a million

mazar_man

Finish time for DJ's flow typ starts third week of Sept and goes into first half oct. Some of the phenos do the sativa type ripening of multiple harvest windows so don't get fooled into harvesting in the first window you prob want to catch most of plant on the third. Where I am at (tiny bit further north) first flo harvest is end of last week sept (top buds mostly that got more light) and second harvest end of sec week oct.

f2's will likely be very similar to original as it is an ibl just less vigour.

Enjoy.. flo is special stuff unlike anything else on market imo

Hank64

Finish time for DJ's flow typ starts third week of Sept and goes into first half oct. Some of the phenos do the sativa type ripening of multiple harvest windows so don't get fooled into harvesting in the first window you prob want to catch most of plant on the third. Where I am at (tiny bit further north) first flo harvest is end of last week sept (top buds mostly that got more light) and second harvest end of sec week oct.

f2's will likely be very similar to original as it is an ibl just less vigour.

Enjoy.. flo is special stuff unlike anything else on market imo

Thanks for the feedback. I thought F2's are where the winners are found.
As for vigor they seem to grow a bit slow over my other plants.
Have you found this to be true too?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
In my experience, Flo hates Nitrogen but is easy to grow otherwise.

I found the high to be weak and short-lived. :tumbleweed:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
They look so beautiful man! I love those red stems! Indeed F2 is where the rare and interesting phenos come out quite often. Even if it's an homogeneous strain, on the real F2 generation is where the diversity starts to appear. Of course being more homogeneous will translate into growing more plants to find remarkable or different stuff but that's how it works.

I'm at 42 degrees and most commercial strains (8-9 weekers) will be ready around mid october. Watch out for grey mold if you are in a rainy autumn area.

You have a beautiful male as well, it could be a great stud for some ladies!

Hank64

In my experience, Flo hates Nitrogen but is easy to grow otherwise.

I found the high to be weak and short-lived. :tumbleweed:

Yes I have found low N too. She seems to tell you fast with the leaf pointing down.

They look so beautiful man! I love those red stems! Indeed F2 is where the rare and interesting phenos come out quite often. Even if it's an homogeneous strain, on the real F2 generation is where the diversity starts to appear. Of course being more homogeneous will translate into growing more plants to find remarkable or different stuff but that's how it works.

I'm at 42 degrees and most commercial strains (8-9 weekers) will be ready around mid october. Watch out for grey mold if you are in a rainy autumn area.

You have a beautiful male as well, it could be a great stud for some ladies!

I like the fact that I see odd stuff now. Single curled mutant leaf that pops out of a node.

I am going to dust a branch for some F2's. The male I have now seems to be very well. He is being used on my p1f3 Flo auto project. Soon to have a new gen of P2f1.

Ill post up more pics soon.

mazar_man

hank64, unlike most stuff on the market Flo is an inbred line.. pretty sure dj says its F5 or similar so what you are making arent real "f2's" but F6's so you wont see much in the way of variation.. imo you have a better chance of finding something special by outcrossing it. Search djzed on this site for the best flo info.. this is djshort the breeder of flo.

Hank64

hank64, unlike most stuff on the market Flo is an inbred line.. pretty sure dj says its F5 or similar so what you are making arent real "f2's" but F6's so you wont see much in the way of variation.. imo you have a better chance of finding something special by outcrossing it. Search djzed on this site for the best flo info.. this is djshort the breeder of flo.

I cant find the post, it was from Red, he talked about f2's and how he was surprised that no one talked about this little secret.

Now maybe he was talking on f1 release. I got my seeds less then a year ago. So what gen would that make them?

Thanks guys. Really quality people on this site!

Hey all, excuse my inexperience here at the forums. Im still learning the etiquette. I was just wondering where these F-2 seeds might have been acquired and if they are in fact actually F-2 flo's or an F-2 of something crossed with the Flo as P-1. I only ask this because I didn't know Dj offered up F-2's to the public and am trying to answer your question as accurately as possible.

The Flo finishes early both indoors and out sometimes as early as 45 days. She's renowned for producing bumper crops under the right conditions by harvesting the top finished buds first and allowing the lower buds to develop and can be quite the producer because of this.

As far as I know, there are literally only a small handful of people on the earth who have had access to these prized F-2 Flo seeds and even fewer who have successfully grown them. She is a very nute sensitive plant and has a head that is much like many of the high CBD strains.

Miraculous Meds

Hey all, excuse my inexperience here at the forums. Im still learning the etiquette. I was just wondering where these F-2 seeds might have been acquired and if they are in fact actually F-2 flo's or an F-2 of something crossed with the Flo as P-1. I only ask this because I didn't know Dj offered up F-2's to the public and am trying to answer your question as accurately as possible.

The Flo finishes early both indoors and out sometimes as early as 45 days. She's renowned for producing bumper crops under the right conditions by harvesting the top finished buds first and allowing the lower buds to develop and can be quite the producer because of this.

As far as I know, there are literally only a small handful of people on the earth who have had access to these prized F-2 Flo seeds and even fewer who have successfully grown them. She is a very nute sensitive plant and has a head that is much like many of the high CBD strains.

What the op meant was he made seeds from the breeder pack. He made the common mistake of calling them f2, because he thought they were f1's. they are not. they are f5, so he made f6's.

That's what I thought Miraculous Meds. I guess I'm just wondering if it's a common mistake or a common practice to use Dj's gear as a P1 stock? It's just that I am very familiar with his genetics and I swear, I see them in well over half of the strains I come across and I just wonder how often this is how it happens?

Miraculous Meds

That's what I thought Miraculous Meds. I guess I'm just wondering if it's a common mistake or a common practice to use Dj's gear as a P1 stock? It's just that I am very familiar with his genetics and I swear, I see them in well over half of the strains I come across and I just wonder how often this is how it happens?

Im a little lost with ur question but I will try and answer.

Common mistake? Do u mean calling his f5's, when people make next gen seeds and call them f2's? If that's what ur asking then yes a lot of people call every seed they make another gen of f2.

Common practice to use dj's gear as p1's. Yes that's very common since dj's gear is so inbread it has a lot of true characteristics it passes on. that's why people love to use it to cross with.

Get a pack of his blue berry and see how uniform it is. I haven't tried it yet, but I can see in the hybrids he did the hollow stems, and some of the blue passes on to the offspring pretty well.

I guess maybe I'm just a little confused as to where the misnomer came from that the seed stock Dj offers up are F1. I would understand people thinking and even using them as P1 stock, I completely disagree that they are or should be considered as anything other than what Dj says they are, which you are correct, are F5's.

I assume thats the reason we see so much of his genetics in so many different things is because they are so close to the original land races he used to create them. Well, and because they're awesome strains.

What Im wondering is how common of a practice it is to take his genetics and use them as your own P1, or F2, F3...whatever, to create a strain of your own and intentionally or unintentionally claim that it is then of a filial generation that's actually younger than it's parent stock. Seems like I have see so much of that. I just never really considered how much of it could be unintentional or breeders just not actually knowing that the seeds he offers aren't P1 or F1 seeds.

Miraculous Meds

I guess maybe I'm just a little confused as to where the misnomer came from that the seed stock Dj offers up are F1. I would understand people thinking and even using them as P1 stock, I completely disagree that they are or should be considered as anything other than what Dj says they are, which you are correct, are F5's.

I assume thats the reason we see so much of his genetics in so many different things is because they are so close to the original land races he used to create them. Well, and because they're awesome strains.

What Im wondering is how common of a practice it is to take his genetics and use them as your own P1, or F2, F3...whatever, to create a strain of your own and intentionally or unintentionally claim that it is then of a filial generation that's actually younger than it's parent stock. Seems like I have see so much of that. I just never really considered how much of it could be unintentional or breeders just not actually knowing that the seeds he offers aren't P1 or F1 seeds.

Ok I think I understand ur question now.

Simply most that make next generation aren't familiar with the basic breeding terminology. that's why they call it f2 instead of f6.

Now for using bb or flo with breeding, especially bb, they are true breeding, meaning they pass on a lot of the same traits at a high percengage of the time.

So someone decides to breed with a bb f5 male they got out of djs stock. This now becomes a p1, because they are outcrossing it to new genetics, making a f1. To be a true f1 the parents should both be diverse and true breeding I believe. But taking two different genetics and crossing them most call that f1. So no matter what f gen u have, if u outcross to a new genetic line, the offspring are now f1.

If u simply cross a male and female from the same bb stock, then ur offspring will be f6.

hope that helps.

Yes, you're paraphrasing perfectly Miraculous Meds, thanks.

Ok, so bear with me on this, it may be a little hard to articulate in text. But basically what I was thinking was that there are potential huge problems with claiming that the offspring of anything is of a younger filial generation than it's parents.

First; when I see many of these 'prized f2 and f1' strains claiming to be the offspring of Dj's gear it undermines the integrity of his breeding and the overall quality of much of the medication available now and in the future.

Here's a few questions, if it's acceptable to cultivate f6's and call them f2's (intentionally or not) what filial generation do we call the seeds that we know Dj uses to work his new strains? What if Dj came out with a new f4 or f3 blueberry? If there are so many false f2's available for a quarter of the price, who would buy Dj's gear to breed? No one, everyone would go to the bunk f2's and then claim Dj's gear was bunk, you following me? What we're doing with this false f2 stuff is just watering down his work and the buds we all love so much.

That's sure what it looks like anyway.

Miraculous Meds

Yes, you're paraphrasing perfectly Miraculous Meds, thanks.

Ok, so bear with me on this, it may be a little hard to articulate in text. But basically what I was thinking was that there are potential huge problems with claiming that the offspring of anything is of a younger filial generation than it's parents.

First; when I see many of these 'prized f2 and f1' strains claiming to be the offspring of Dj's gear it undermines the integrity of his breeding and the overall quality of much of the medication available now and in the future.

Here's a few questions, if it's acceptable to cultivate f6's and call them f2's (intentionally or not) what filial generation do we call the seeds that we know Dj uses to work his new strains? What if Dj came out with a new f4 or f3 blueberry? If there are so many false f2's available for a quarter of the price, who would buy Dj's gear to breed? No one, everyone would go to the bunk f2's and then claim Dj's gear was bunk, you following me? What we're doing with this false f2 stuff is just watering down his work and the buds we all love so much.

That's sure what it looks like anyway.

Im with ya. Most of it is harmless people not understanding they have f5 seeds to start. the problem lies when someone decides to sell seeds and does this. the real problem is when someone takes these f5's, makes a batch from them and calls them f2's dj's blueberry. Then people can get suckered into thinking they are getting dj's work, but they are really getting some dipshits knockoff version using dj's reputation to sell them. The answer is the customer needs to get educated on basic terminology, and that's more than most people want to do. Most want to buy a pack of seeds and no brainer it, throw it in some dirt and voila, have some dank. So until the consumer gets a handle on what they are buying, people will be able to take advantage of that uneducated market.

Dj's parents are f4's, so all his seeds are f5. He does have early f gen stuff, but I don't know if he will release anything less than f5 seed stock. His sons crosses, whitaker blues, and azure haze, are outcross f1's. there is some nice plants in there too. Also his vanilluna and cocoa kush are both bb stock, but from different seed pools. half bb indica, half bb sativa. Not true f1, but a good possible chance of getting some variation in the next generation if u look.

And on the first question, when u outcross, ur creating a whole new family, so that's why an f5 dad can create and f1 offspring. As long as its crossed with different genetics.

I understand that part of the problem, and a large part of the problem at that lies when someone takes, say for instance, the f5 and crosses it with something other than a back-cross and calls it anything other than an f6. I understand that that is part of the problem.

Yes, I understand that some people take his seeds and cross them with something else that isn't of original land race decent and call it an f1, I understand that some take his stuff and inbreed it and call it what it actually is, an f6. I understand people rip off his genetics, both intentionally and unintentionally. What Im attempting to address here are the circumstances in which it happens unintentionally. And if it so happens that we also end up discussing those matters where its done intentionally, so be it.

It is unfortunate that people rip off Dj's gear and intentionally produce a sub-par product and then claim it's his gear that's sub-par. I understand that, heathens with be heathens and greed is rampant.

But what's even more unfortunate is the level in which I've seen this is occurring unintentionally.

Please excuse me Miraculous Meds, but you are incorrect about the Whit. Blues, Azure Haze and Cocoa Kusk being f2 and or f1 outcrosses. I am holding in my hands seed packets of the Whitaker Blues, Cocoa Kush and Azure Haze directly from the hands of Dj himself. And it clearly states on the package that the Cocoa is an f4 or f5. The Azure haze is an f4, and the Whitaker Blues, an f4 or f5. Again, please excuse me, but the only reason I can figure that this would be is because they were some kind of potential back-cross, and not an outcross and thus labeled as 'either' but not one or the other. The logic being I assume that the Quimby, the Super Haze and one of the parent stock of Cocoa were at best, but unknown, to be f3's and thus making the C.K, W.B and A.H f4's or f5's and in fact not f1's.

The thing about this that concerns me is that with legalization and evolution we will soon be consuming much larger amounts of cannabis collectively. The era of the home cannabis breeder/producer/cultivar is upon us and the quality of medicine is potentially decreasing because of our perception that it is the genetics of old that are disrupting the quality of meds when in fact it's the inability to understand some rudimental and ethical breeding and business practices.

All I know is that considering the lack of rudimentary breeding knowledge within the industry, I completely understand why these seeds and genetics are so rare and valuable and can emphasize with the effort Dj has put into bringing us these strains. And the effort he's put into teaching us about what they are.

harry74

Veteran
I think Dj has a new great pack for his seeds.
¿Would you mind to show that packs?

¿Any plans for a grow diary? I can´t think of a better way to prove the haters wrong.

Come on Oregon
Prove the haters wrong.

Hi harry74.
I'd love to upload some pics of the packaging. You'll have to excuse me, but I don't know how to do that. If you could kindly explain how that would be great.

harry74

Veteran
Go to website support and they´ll support you.

And of course how are you going to make a grow diary!

As far as I´m concerned everything is clear.
Enjoy that top notch genetics.