What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DJ Short Blueberry...very disappointed

budsicles

First I have to say that my experience is not due to grower error. I have grown somewhere between 100-150 strains and don't make amateur mistakes like light leaks, overwatering/feeding, bad temp, etc. My recent seed run of Gorilla Biscuit and Harlesin produced 100% germination from 26 seeds and zero runts.

So I decided to ignore the negative reports and try two packs of recent DJ Short blueberry stock purchased from seedsman.

Out of 20 seeds, only 13 germinated.
Out of the 13, only 5 were females.
Every female hermied by the end of week 3 of flowering.
Most males hermied.
The two males that didn't go herm, ended up sterile.
The stamen contained absolutely zero pollen. Never seen this before.

Seriously one of the worst seedlines I have ever tried.

Spaventa

Veteran
That's insane. Not cheap seeds either. I wonder if the seeds suffered bad storage or contamination? That's epic failure there.

budsicles

That's insane. Not cheap seeds either. I wonder if the seeds suffered bad storage or contamination? That's epic failure there.

They came from seedsman which I believe has relatively fresh stock because they constantly supply other seedbanks I've been told. It was winter, so they didn't get hot in transit. I didn't store them but popped them immediately. I don't know...it sure was an epic fail though.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That sucks to here man. If you want DJ Blueberry, hit up Seedbay and grab some GPS Blueberry, can't beat the price and it is DJ stock. I had great results.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
First I have to say that my experience is not due to grower error. I have grown somewhere between 100-150 strains and don't make amateur mistakes like light leaks, overwatering/feeding, bad temp, etc. My recent seed run of Gorilla Biscuit and Harlesin produced 100% germination from 26 seeds and zero runts.

So I decided to ignore the negative reports and try two packs of recent DJ Short blueberry stock purchased from seedsman.

Out of 20 seeds, only 13 germinated.
Out of the 13, only 5 were females.
Every female hermied by the end of week 3 of flowering.
Most males hermied.
The two males that didn't go herm, ended up sterile.
The stamen contained absolutely zero pollen. Never seen this before.

Seriously one of the worst seedlines I have ever tried.
Maybe you're mistaken for seedsman blueberry?
I thought seedsman has been out of authentic dj short blueberry stock for years..
Can you show a photo of the pack?

G

Gr33nSanta

the blueberry from seedsman are feminized. I got them as freebie but I am not in a hurry to grow them if ever. I recently found the most blueberry smelly plant. The only feminized beans Ive grown in recent years were to acquire high CBD varieties.

Description (seedsman blueberry)

Blueberry was originally created by Canadian DJ Short and dates back to the 1970s. It is a 3-way indica-dominant hybrid cross of an Afghani strain together with Thai and a Purple Thai. When grown in good conditions it can grow into a fairly large plant displaying a range of red, purple and blue colours and producing very good yields.

Unsurprisingly when fully-cured Blueberry has an incredibly fruity perfume along with the unmistakable sweet flavour of blueberry. The effect is a pot smokers dream - a very potent yet happy high which is very euphoric yet relaxing and enduring. Another quality of Blueberry is that, although taking a while to cure out, when correctly prepared and packaged it has a very long shelf-life compared with many strains available today.

budsicles

That sucks to here man. If you want DJ Blueberry, hit up Seedbay and grab some GPS Blueberry, can't beat the price and it is DJ stock. I had great results.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I thought for pure bb I was limited to DP, Seedsman, Sag, and Peak.

Maybe you're mistaken for seedsman blueberry?
I thought seedsman has been out of authentic dj short blueberry stock for years..
Can you show a photo of the pack?

Tossed the packaging, but I always ask for original breeder packs. These came in a small paper envelope with the DJ Short brand sticker. They are usually out of stock. I camped the site and jumped on a release. They don't last long.

I recently found the most blueberry smelly plant.

What specific strain/breeder?

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I thought for pure bb I was limited to DP, Seedsman, Sag, and Peak.

Tossed the packaging, but I always ask for original breeder packs. These came in a small paper envelope with the DJ Short brand sticker. They are usually out of stock. I camped the site and jumped on a release. They don't last long.

What specific strain/breeder?
Hmm.... Wierd...I've heard and seen a lot good in the new authentic blueberry. I ask you to show a photo of the pack to see if it's authentic...
When you described it as a little paper envelope with the dj short brand sticker, that has me a bit sketched out. Djs packs are printed onto the little envalope. No stickers on his packs... I'm guessing you're referring to the packs that look like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 60

budsicles

Cool! Just found one pack hiding. Thought I had trashed both of them. It's different than your picture....did Seedsman scam me?

Attachments

• DJ.jpg
    DJ.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 42

Bud_Man10

Veteran
That looks legit to me, got them from HD in packs like that a good few years back. 'Might' be old stock as evidenced by your poor germ rate?

Peace
BM

Frosy

DJ's BB is very stable, potent and delicious, as evidenced by 1000's of grows all around the world. Could it be that the seed pack was irradiated, x-rayed, or exposed to some chemical en route?

budsicles

That looks legit to me, got them from HD in packs like that a good few years back. 'Might' be old stock as evidenced by your poor germ rate?

I had been watching the site for a couple years and they would get batches that didn't seem to stay in stock very long. When a new batch was posted after a considerable run of being out of stock, I picked it up quick. I don't know why a vendor as large as Seedsman would be putting out old stock in regular batches like that. Maybe they purchase packs from random seedbanks nobody uses, in order to refill stock during long dry periods? I don't know.

DJ's BB is very stable, potent and delicious, as evidenced by 1000's of grows all around the world. Could it be that the seed pack was irradiated, x-rayed, or exposed to some chemical en route?

Maybe. Although I have made numerous orders from Seedsman without ever having this problem.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Cool! Just found one pack hiding. Thought I had trashed both of them. It's different than your picture....did Seedsman scam me?

The photos I posted are the new stock. He's been packing them in the packs I showed a photo of since early 2015, maybe even earlier than that.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Samuel Caldwell , "I don't think it's fake. Google 'dj short package' (or some variation of that) and both of those packs show up."
Correct, but I asked him to show a photo because he said his pack had a sticker on it. The new packs don't. So now that he's showed a photo of the old blueberry pack, it makes me wonder how years later seedsman is getting restock of dj blueberry in old school packs.

budsicles

...it makes me wonder how years later seedsman is getting restock of dj blueberry in old school packs.

The only explanation I can come up with is that they are buying old packs from random obscure seedbanks that have trouble selling anything. Seedsman could offer to buy all of their old packs that aren't moving...at a discount of course. Then sell those until they can get legit new stock. Maybe there's another explanation. Either way it seems pretty lame. But they are a big vendor here and if I kick up too much dust I'm liable to get banned by the ptb. I know how things work around here.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I got a pack a couple months ago, not from Seedsman, also with the sticker. Still sitting on the counter. It came from England in the winter - I wonder how much freezing and thawing went on before it got to me.

meizzwang

Seedsman is 100% legit, they not only listen to tough, constructive feedback, but they are a group of doers and they take care of business in a very timely fashion. There's a reason why they are successful.

All that aside, I've read that DJ Short's current blueberry line being offered is very inbred and there are an overwhelming number of reports of low vigor and difficulty growing this strain. Someone is bound to find a gem, but it's not surprising that a line that has been known to have hermi issues from the beginning of time becomes even more hermi prone when inbred so many generations. DJ short has proven to the world that he possesses the intuition to select and breed, but perhaps JD, who is reportedly taking over the reins, lacks the experience of his father.

It'll be interesting to see if the new, "improved" blueberry lines (ie. seedsman's outcrossed and then inbred/selected line) compare to the original blueberry that many of us remember from back in the 90's. I can say with confidence that Nirvana's bubblicious doesn't compare to the original indiana bubblegum, but that doesn't mean all lines can't be improved.

Budsicles:you're not far from the truth....

budsicles

Ugh, I miss the heirlooms.

It's such a pain trying to find stable quality reg seed of the classics in mostly pure form.

Latest posts

Latest posts