What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Revival of the REVIVAL of the ULTIMATE SATIVA THREAD a.k.a R.U.S.T II

harvestreaper

Veteran
yea the tests like a screenshot of a screenshot lol. ive noticed that the yellow line there in middle tends to get wider and deeper on the most haze funky phenos and is def a good sign. almost looks like a rhododendron leaf and leathery shiny too. it must be a result of line breeding to haze ancestor. interesting thing about rhododendrons is theyve found cbc and cbt analogues in their leaf scales(underside) rhodos are used a lot in chinese medecine so theres probly a connection genetically if you go back far enough pretty cool. reminds me of nevils description of first haze females leather leaves. here are stone gurus silk haze outlier pheno from the test and the link. he has alot of good threads and interesting selections
https://www.beanbasement.nl/threads...-ocimene-soaring-cbg.15271/page-5#post-412273

yea data readouts are pretty much wasted on me i dont know what anything means anyway lol but still interesting stuff to me ,,yea the doors female i had ,,had the leathery shiny look leaves to ,, she was diffrent for sure i bred her to a jonny blaze male an got some nice plants ,,this kog female has got the bud on leaf growth on both sides of the plant the doors only had it on one ,,,rodies yea they great plants real pretty i know there shiny leaves well used to pick em for my mum when i was a kid lol

harvestreaper

Veteran
do you have pics of doors leaf handy? lookin thru your albums some damn fine work!! especially the mango thai laos real nice

thanks yea the mango was nice i just germed my last 4 from that batch an killed two by clumsiness not fine work lol there two left that show promise ,,i dont think i do have a pic those doors came from when they were first released was a while back ,,,plus i lost all those plants to roman stormtroopers,,, if i do stumble or find a pic ill be sure to post

funkyhorse

Ancestral Skunk sativa from Cultivators Choice
Very curious about this strain, how come this is what replaced the best sativas the world had to offer
Like all sativa hybrids I grew made with skunk which I believe are made from this kind of plants, unsurprisingly I find common traits
Like all hybrids made with this strain, she is clearly signalling last day has come. She had all the greenhouse for herself, plenty of ventilation and space for her but this is the unavoidable result with skunks on wetlands:
Ancestral skunk mold.jpeg
Ancestral skunk mold (2).jpeg

But she does not care at all about local fauna. She was never attacked. Some of her terpenes are helping with this probably. The other selection, the indica side of Ancient Skunk which is the basis for most of the skunk selections like TFD The Pure is a disaster here. Molds super fast and local fauna eats the whole plant, even the stems
Ancestral skunk landrace resistance.jpeg

Most of my hazes have not shown sex yet but skunk is finnished. And skunk is very easy trim. Trimming ohz is a full day project and it might even take more than one day to trim properly. Trimming skunk is a bliss. And she seems productive too. If I would be commercial grower I would keep this, but I crave the strains skunk replaced and I wanted to know how come this strain became so popular. In the tropics this strain might flower all year even at the summer solstice
Ancestral skunk (27).jpeg
Ancestral skunk (28).jpeg

Ancestral  Skunk.jpeg

This is Durban from extinct seedbank Cannabiogen
I simply cant believe how fast at the cannaworld strains and seedbanks become extinct or out of catalogue
I have 2 Durban girls. They dont seem productive. One of them is growing beautiful thin leaf
Durban (2).jpeg
Durban (3).jpeg

Have a nice weekend everybody

Piff_cat

your def on the right track here with the resistance. in general sativas have much more sesquiterpenes. these serve as a first line of defense against herbivores their peltate trichomes are like pillows of bitter alcohol filled deterrent. they also can signal the plant to increase production like an alarm. one interesting thing ive found is that Farnese is very prevalent in southeast asian sativas. it has strong anti fungal/bud rot qualities. this must account for the nearly mold proof nature of thai. even tho yes they are less dense the secondary metabolites are doing alot of the work too.

goingrey

your def on the right track here with the resistance. in general sativas have much more sesquiterpenes. these serve as a first line of defense against herbivores their peltate trichomes are like pillows of bitter alcohol filled deterrent. they also can signal the plant to increase production like an alarm. one interesting thing ive found is that Farnese is very prevalent in southeast asian sativas. it has strong anti fungal/bud rot qualities. this must account for the nearly mold proof nature of thai. even tho yes they are less dense the secondary metabolites are doing alot of the work too.

That's interesting. Do you know if farnesene is prevalent in any faster flowering strains than the SE Asian sativas?

XDash

yes the female was without issues , i failed to make any more zamal seed though ,
something i regret , i cant recall why i didnt as there was obviously pollen around to do it with,
perhaps the timing was wrong or something ...
anyhow here is a picture of the female, well i grew about 3 and this is the last and largest one ..

Nice octopus ! If i remember well this is the zamal gn , I still have old f7 seeds and also some seeds from an older f3/f4/f5/ open pollination in the freezer

harvestreaper

Veteran

the sats or even any little worked close to nature/outdoor line holds up well as expected,,, noticed zero resittance to pm in the thais an thai hybrids tho but only within indoor unaturual enviroment

JohnnyChicago

thiis is really good hands on info very valuable from someone like yourself who has hands on haze line breeding experience. i find it interesting that fasciation cant be bred out, and that pearl phenos tend to pop up when recombining lines. fasciation has a few causes but becomes more permanent when present in the founder alleles of the mother line. if aneuploidity is the cause its generally not passed down in pollen but very frequently in mitochondrial organelle haplotype. then the pearl popping back up when recombined seems to signal either a recessive gene held by most lines or secondary trisomy where only a part of the extra chromosome is present and pops up when bred to a line containing the other half. the yield is undesirable, but the extra resin would be very useful if separated from the bud structure. just think its interesting both anomalies effects share a possible cause. too bad we dont have access to cytology equipment to see for sure.

I want avoid to much Haze talk in this great thread, as there are enough Haze threads actually.
But fasciation is not really a concern in OH in my opinion. You can see it in the other OH lines.
Sams has been clear, that he had rarely seen fasciation reported from OH until he saw mine in 2015. And that his OH mother he used a lot for seed production, had often fascition in progeny. If now in the 2020s suddenly it is in every OH grow, at least derived from OH seeds that have passed through my hands, something many are not unerstanding, especially not Sam himself. The explanation is simple. One of my males did carry the genes too. The rest is just a matter of maths considering the high number of plants used by SamS and the much lower number I did use.

Myself have had no fasciated OH plant sine long time (I do have all my lines separated) and never had a Haze hybrid that was fasciated. Few hundreds of plants.
And the below has been the last fasciated plant I had. An old skunk from the 90s.

Also regarding resin, I do spent of lot of time with the magnifier on the trichomes. They tell you a lot, especially on the kind of effect. And if you breed for effect and do it right, you can still get some potency. But if you breed for potency you may loose the effect. Indeed, there is often stone reported from OH.

The fasciated Skunk. :)
Click image for larger version  Name:	skunkpredator.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	18117311