What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Summer 2019, Tasmania Takes it on the Chin

St. Phatty

From the relative comfort of a heated home in winter, I am watching all hell break lose in Tasmania.

You know, that big island southeast of Australia.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-has-arrived-while-those-in-power-laugh-at-us

Where I live, we have Dry Lightning all the time.

In recorded history, that wasn't true for Tasmania. Until the last 15 years.

Now Tasmania has dry lightning. Summer Temps 3 degrees C higher than normal. Ground fuels as dry as possible, in the 0 to 5% moisture range.

Pretty close to a worst case.

Most of the articles on the subject use the term Climate Change.

I'm not interested in debating that (unless it's for $$$).

The parts that can't be debated -
* Southern Hemisphere CO2 levels are about 3 ppm higher than last year, into the 410+ ppm range, on their way to 420 ppm.
* Fire behavior in Tasmania ... 2019 is a very difficult year.

If I was a weather scientist, one thing I would want to know very badly is, what combination of weather conditions would bring Dry Lightning to Middle & Southern California ?

We already have dry lightning in Oregon. How that works is, every time it is really hot for 5 days, by about the 6th day there will be rain, with Dry Lightning, in the summer. And that will start that year's fire season.

I was going to put this in "Well Wishes" but I figure it will inevitably get political & argumentative.

Pictures - Aussie pol making fun of Climate Change, passing lump of coal around Parliament.

attachment.php

Mauna Loa, Hawaii, CO2 measurements
mlo_one_week.png

Attachments

• aussie-pol.jpg
    aussie-pol.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 25