What's new

Google taking a step into power metering

This Flood Gate of Change in the U.S JUST WILL NOT STOP on stomping on our Individual Rights!!!!!!

SAN FRANCISCO: Google will announce its entry Tuesday into the small but growing business of "smart grid," digital technologies that seek to both keep the electrical system on an even keel and reduce electrical energy consumption.

Google is one of a number of companies devising ways to control the demand for electric power as an alternative to building more power plants. The company has developed a free Web service called PowerMeter that consumers can use to track energy use in their house or business as it is consumed.

Google is counting on others to build devices to feed data into PowerMeter technology. While it hopes to begin introducing the service in the next few months, it has not yet lined up hardware manufacturers.

"We can't build this product all by ourselves," said Kirsten Olsen Cahill, a program manager at Google.org, the company's corporate philanthropy arm. "We depend on a whole ecosystem of utilities, device makers and policies that would allow consumers to have detailed access to their home energy use and make smarter energy decisions."

"Smart grid" is the new buzz phrase in the electric business, encompassing a variety of approaches that involve more communication between utility operators and components of the grid, including transformers, power lines, customer meters and even home appliances like dishwashers.

"They've been putting a chip in your dishwasher for a long time that would allow you to run it any time you want," said Rick Sergel, chief executive of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, an industry group that sets operating standards for the grid.

If the utility could "talk" to the dishwasher, it might tell the machine to run at 2 a.m. and not 2 p.m., or it might tell the homeowner how much money would be saved by running the dishwasher at a different hour.

"It provides an opportunity to create dancing partners that will help the system balance itself," he said.

It also might be useful for plug-in hybrid cars, which will draw significant amounts of energy, perhaps doubling the electric demand of a small household. A smart grid would recognize the car wherever it was plugged in, the way a cellphone network recognizes a mobile phone when it is turned on.

The grid could bill the owner of the car for recharging the battery no matter where the car was plugged in. It would charge the owner a rate based on the time of day or night. If the car were left plugged in, the grid could decide when to charge it at the lowest rate.

The stimulus bill now going to a House-Senate conference committee has allocated $4.4 billion for "smart" technologies, including four million of these next-generation monitors, called smart meters. Proponents say that could make more effective use of existing power lines and generate employment.

"You can hire a lot of people to install smart meters," said James Hoecker, a former chairman of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, which has some jurisdiction over transmission lines.

:angrymod:

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE TO STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS? DON'T YALL LISTEN TO MARLEY? Sorry about the caps but it gets your attention, doesn't it?

It's getting progressively worse, and we can change it. Like now. I AM NOT ECCENTRIC, I AM AS REAL AS IT GETS...

i.love.scotch

whats bad about this? yes it could be an invasion of privacy but it could also make the whole power grid more efficient, which should be top priority right now. Yes having privacy when it comes to your electrical is good, but when you have hundreds of millions of people all wanting that privacy at the cost of a HUGE amount of wasted energy, doesn't really make sense.

its unfortunate that this could directly affect growers but when it comes down to it it will probably just lead to new change and innovations which is always a good thing. more efficient grows that can fly under the radar of this smart grid while wasting less electricity? sounds like a solid idea to me.

bushmasta

Here comes the CHANGE everyone was spoonfed. It will only get worse our government is not working for the people. Things will not change for the better. The system and its workers are put into place to keep the status quo. People really think about this they want to grid the electricity, next it will be the internet, and there will go ICmag. Stand up to authority and let them know this is not what we want inform everyone about what this will really do to our lives. If there weren't already large established energy companies we would already have the technologies for infinite amounts of geothermal,solar,tidal we don't have to worry about consumption when the energy supply is limitless, these companies help create scarcity in the energy supply by monopolizing the energy business. This is not conspiracy surely as enlightened as this community is you guys can see what is happening not only in the US but the whole world

~fvk~

the Lion is going Guerrilla...
Here comes the CHANGE everyone was spoonfed. It will only get worse our government is not working for the people. Things will not change for the better. The system and its workers are put into place to keep the status quo. People really think about this they want to grid the electricity, next it will be the internet, and there will go ICmag. Stand up to authority and let them know this is not what we want inform everyone about what this will really do to our lives. If there weren't already large established energy companies we would already have the technologies for infinite amounts of geothermal,solar,tidal we don't have to worry about consumption when the energy supply is limitless, these companies help create scarcity in the energy supply by monopolizing the energy business. This is not conspiracy surely as enlightened as this community is you guys can see what is happening not only in the US but the whole world

DITTO.

They're keeping us exactly where they want us, because the lot of you are blissed in ignorance...

tnt_blaster

Since when is Google the government? If you read that service, it works between the meter and the elec. co. And there are only a few smart grids that it will be working on in the next few YEARS.

In that time i believe many will be off the grid, or supplementing their "smart power" with other sources, solar, geo, wind..

And it doesn't really change the fact that LEO will STILL need a warrant to review electricity usage. I find it highly unlikey that all it will take is a laptop and wifi.. sit outside one's home and read all their juice.

Plus that graph shows "your refrigerator" etc.. THOSE devices will need to be equipped to send data to the smart meter, otherwise it won't know if that 1000w energy spike is the dryer, microwave, super vibrator etc... And that won't happen anytime soon. It's not like this Igoogle smartmeter rollout is going to be nationwide in a month.. or even a few years.

A lot of small electric co-ops barely can afford to keep meter readers on staff, much less go out and start retrofitting thousands of homes. Sure the meters probably are subsidy, but the hourly rate, overtime to send all those techs out, customer service reps that have to deal with the "why are you changing my meter, it works fine, is this going to cost me more?" people...
There are hidden costs associated with upgrading to a smart meter... one's that will deter a fast rollout. Look at DigitalTv... that's been pushed for YEARS now.. and is even pushed back again. And that's just a TV...

Do i like more entities having their noses in my business.. hell no. But there ARE ways to work around it, and it's not THAT big of a change compared to what's going on right now. The benefits could be a much more efficient grid, with lower rates. You have to admit that the electrical infrastructure of this country is waning.

love?

This is good news.

It'll let consumers (growers) monitor their own power use in real time and make it easier to hide, for example, 12 hour power consumption "spikes".

This is good news.

It'll let consumers (growers) monitor their own power use in real time and make it easier to hide, for example, 12 hour power consumption "spikes".

Yes, that is my whole point and they can determine that it isn't your washer and dryer running all night either.... Big Brother Fuck that.... Global warming is just ONE BIG LIE!!!! IT is a way for the UN to Tax the US citizens and build another form of Oppressive Government to bend us over. Change my ASS!

BTW GOOGLE WORKS VERY CLOSE WITH OUR GOVT....DATA MINING
:canabis:

bushmasta

All the large corporations work very closely with the government how do you think they get all these stimilus bills with all their pork stuffed in it passed? And you said the small meter companies can't make the change happen without a bunch of money. Idk where you are from but there is only one company for 2 or 3 states surronding me, small businesses have been bought out or are about to be. And so you know they would pass on the costs from installing these new meters to your monthly bills a few dollars per person would be plenty to get this done. They could raise the price per killowatt for a few months by a few cents whatever they want cause the companies are monopolizing the business and the gov helps them achieve this through the free market. One day soon the whole Earth, every country will be one under one gov and there will be nowhere to hide. We will all see soon enough

tnt_blaster

I don't really feel like telling you where i'm from other than east coast... and there are 5 power companies within a 3 hour drive... Intimate knowledge of one particular company..

If a small elec. coop raised rates you can bet there'd be a huge outcry from their customer base...

And monitoring technology isn't new, it's just becoming more refined. We'll just have to adapt.

i.love.scotch

Big Brother Fuck that.... Global warming is just ONE BIG LIE!!!! IT is a way for the UN to Tax the US citizens and build another form of Oppressive Government to bend us over. Change my ASS!

Seriously? No offense but the problem with North America here is that we have hundreds of millions of people and we all want their Big ass urban SUV and their single family dwelling and their unlimited freedom but we don't want to deal with any of the side effects and costs.

Personal freedom is something we pride ourselves with but when you have hundreds of millions of people all wanting that freedom at the cost of a huge amount of wasted space/energy/environment it doesn't really work out. So either we're gonna have to cut the population down significantly or we're going to have to make the system work more efficiently. That would require change, and yes probably some loss of personal freedom.

So if your stuck in your oldschool mentality and aren't willing to change to help us all then I suggest you find yourself some weapons because your going to need to get rid of a lot of people if you want your system and style of living to work in the long term.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to say large corporations monitoring our electricity usage is a good thing I just wanted to show one of the many sides of this argument, and also to show the flaws in your logic

burnt out og'er
Veteran
:rant:

The phoney baloney junk science being shoved in our face by the loonie tune kool aid drinking algorian crowd is just another giant bullshit scheme for our oppressive fascist government to tax, regulate and control us for our so called 'carbon footprint', under the guise of being "for our own good" !

With the global warming storyline, our politicians are telling us that we need to raise our thermostats in the summer and lower them in the winter, and drive little berkley ca pussy jellybean cars like the prius (which btw in the long run considering the batteries involved pollutes the earth MORE than driving a full sized hummer). Somewhere in the USA, there are politicians scheming ways to put a tax on us for what we drive and where and when we do so, ie: monitoring our personal fuel usage so that they can ...you guessed it...tax & regulate us some more... "for our own good".

Yes, it won't be long before they make incandescent lightbulbs illegal for "our own good", nevermind the mercury in CFL bulbs issue they care not about that health issue for now anyway, but rest assured they will figure out a way to use that later on to take folks poisoned houses away "for our own good"

It's inevitable that they will eventually force us all to submit to having our electrical usage monitored as well, so they can be sure to tax us for our so called carbon footprint.. IE: a higher tax on folks use too much power during peak hours etc.

The "for our own good" party is bringing us "change" alright, but imnsho they can keep their damn change and their silly looking cars too.

PS... I'm keeping my thermostat set on 72 f year round, tyvm

love?

Nature sucks and even if it doesn't why should it be preserved for other people's ugly children. I mean I don't have any children and I ain't gonna live forever to enjoy those damn plants and animals and whatever crap there is in those forests...

So use all the energy you want and drive whatever Hummer. At least if you agree with the above.

I try to stay positive most of the time, if for nothing else than my own mental health, but damn... sometimes it's too hard.

BTW the U.N. is a scheme to tax the world for America's benefit, not the other way around. Ask any conspiracy nut in Europe.

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Yes, that is my whole point and they can determine that it isn't your washer and dryer running all night either.... Big Brother Fuck that.... Global warming is just ONE BIG LIE!!!! IT is a way for the UN to Tax the US citizens and build another form of Oppressive Government to bend us over. Change my ASS!

BTW GOOGLE WORKS VERY CLOSE WITH OUR GOVT....DATA MINING
:canabis:

ok time for a tinfoil hat moment here before I medicate...

Didn't the Department of Defense create something called the office of total information awareness? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_Awareness_Office
Now I find it interesting during Googles jounrny to the center of the internet web, its along the same time frames that the DoD started that project.
to bring together several DARPA projects focused on applying information technology to counter transnational threats to national security. The IAO mission was to "imagine, develop, apply, integrate, demonstrate and transition information technologies, components and prototype, closed-loop, information systems that will counter asymmetric threats by achieving total information awareness". Following public criticism that the development and deployment of these technologies could potentially lead to a mass surveillance system, the IAO was defunded by Congress in 2003, although several of the projects run under IAO have continued under different funding.
Google Inc. is an American public corporation, earning revenue from advertising related to its Internet search, e-mail, online mapping, office productivity, social networking, and video sharing services as well as selling advertising-free versions of the same technologies. The Google headquarters, the Googleplex, is located in Mountain View, California. As of December 31, 2008, the company has 20,222 full-time employees.[3]
Google was co-founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were students at Stanford University and the company was first incorporated as a privately held company on September 4, 1998. The initial public offering took place on August 19, 2004, raising US$1.67 billion, making it worth US$23 billion

Google was started at the sametime as TotalInfo. TotalInfo is so important that it is still running without congressional authorization (funding). Now look at googles offerings and compare it with the goals of TotalInfo... The work like a Clownfish with an Anemone, don't actually need each other to survive, but yet they thrive when together, and match almost too perfectly.

Maybe I shouldn't have smoked sativa and watched i.robot...

Tinfoil hat off... :abduct:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DITTO.

They're keeping us exactly where they want us, because the lot of you are blissed in ignorance...

More people would pay attention to what you say if you spent less time stereotyping everyone else as ignorant, foolish and all the other comments you have made while building yourself up....

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't see this as a big red flag personally. To be honest, we need some solutions like this if we all want power sent to our houses to run our toasters, computers and for too many their tv. I'm tired, very tired of the American "pioneer" view of community wait I mean humanity. The american pioneer doesn't need community. they get where they are on their own without others. This don't tax me, don't get in my biz I'm an individual is a big part of why we are in this death spiral. take a moment to think about how many people were involved in your last grow. if you think "just me" you have the flawed "pioneer spirit". How many people across the world were part of making your bulb, your hood, your pots, your original genetics you're using and all the stuff they used to make those seeds. more than you can count. At one time I did energy audits on houses and it wasn't to try and bust anyone, it was to try and make the dang place more efficient, by finding energy waste.
This google thing isn't so much about busting your little butt, its about keeping your lights on 10 years from now. if you knew how much energy is lost just in the transit of power to your home you'd realize we need to conserve. Sorry global warming is real and those who don't believe, maybe you'll be in the cold spot when the shit hits the fan and become an ice cube in time.
In our hobby, or whatever it is to you energy consumption has long been an area of security most are conscious of, stay conscious of your home usage, your fine. it will take a couple decades for this to be a concern.
I'll use lightbulbs as an example. How long have cfl's been around and we still have incandescent? Cfl's have mercury, it sucks, but cfl's are an energy saving stepping stone and will be replaced by more efficient technology. Anyone buying led lights yet for your table lamp? Didn't think so. have we outlawed incandescents, nope.
There are much more important things to worry about than your energy usage and google. Another example. Space heaters. Anyone have one?
A 10$ space heater/fan uses 1400watts when set on heat. Yup more than alot of folks here suck from the grid with their hid. I don't think they will chip your space heater that you want dirt cheap anytime soon.
If you are concerned about this, do the right thing and invest in a couple solar panels to run some of your gear with. more power plants is not the answer.
RM

i.love.scotch

The phoney baloney junk science being shoved in our face by the loonie tune kool aid drinking algorian crowd is just another giant bullshit scheme for our oppressive fascist government to tax, regulate and control us for our so called 'carbon footprint', under the guise of being "for our own good" !

With the global warming storyline, our politicians are telling us that we need to raise our thermostats in the summer and lower them in the winter, and drive little berkley ca pussy jellybean cars like the prius (which btw in the long run considering the batteries involved pollutes the earth MORE than driving a full sized hummer). Somewhere in the USA, there are politicians scheming ways to put a tax on us for what we drive and where and when we do so, ie: monitoring our personal fuel usage so that they can ...you guessed it...tax & regulate us some more... "for our own good".

Yes, it won't be long before they make incandescent lightbulbs illegal for "our own good", nevermind the mercury in CFL bulbs issue they care not about that health issue for now anyway, but rest assured they will figure out a way to use that later on to take folks poisoned houses away "for our own good"

It's inevitable that they will eventually force us all to submit to having our electrical usage monitored as well, so they can be sure to tax us for our so called carbon footprint.. IE: a higher tax on folks use too much power during peak hours etc.

The "for our own good" party is bringing us "change" alright, but imnsho they can keep their damn change and their silly looking cars too.

PS... I'm keeping my thermostat set on 72 f year round, tyvm

Come on at least show some sort of foresight when the results of your ways are already documented in other parts of the world.

14cloud.600.jpg

Does this actually have to happen to your hometown before you realize what your doing? Sadly, I'm positive that for most of us the answer is yes.

Latest posts

Latest posts