What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 / 14 Light Schedule?

bathroomgrower

Hello to everyone....

This is my third grow and I'm growing AK - 48 and it's in the 35th day of flowering, and I think, doing fairly well in all respects; however, I know it will take longer than the shorter times that are touted. Has anyone used the 10 / 14 light schedule, as in 10 hours of light and 14 hours of darkness.

It seems I've never been one to leave well enough alone, (If it's not broken, don't fix it) so I was just reading that with some strains, the extra hours of darkness may speed up the process, and cut a week or two off total time, but the trade-off is a lower yield due to decreased light time. I'm thinking the trichomes will go from clear to milky faster and more pistils will curl inward, etc? If anybody has any experience doing this and thinks there is a notable difference, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks to everyone :tiphat: and top o' the day.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Less Thc produced on that schedule- I think the studies I read said 25 % less Thc produced at 11 hrs light as opposed to 12.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
11/13 is the lowest I go, but in doing so I increase suggested
flower time, not decrease it.

Doing 10/14 may inhibit the complex development of what
you are seeking.

My opinion, and curious of the post documenting the plus side
of going 10/14. Links, perhaps.

Interesting topic.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Reading From marijuana botany, by R.C.C - studies have shown that twice as much Thc is produced under 12hrs light as opposed to 10.

Sorry, edited ... I got the hours round the wrong way- corrected now.

Last edited:

Ganja baba

Veteran
I have been talking about this and been doing this for many years now , here is the facts , I started flowering on 10/14 when I used to grow land race sativas , a 24 week flowering sat would take any thing from 16 to 18 weeks flower time on 10/14 buds were higher quality and more thc as the plants were more induced to flower , I flower any thing that doesn't have much bag appeal because it's to fluffy like this ,
It goes both ways cheese for example or quick flowering stocky plants you can add an hour so it would be 13/11 you add a week or two onto the flowering time but you increase yeild and much more, if you take an 8 week flowering plant and flowered it on 10/14 you will have it finished in just under six weeks you loose yield , you can either gain or loose other traits depending on the genetics such as if it's a poly hybrid .

Ratzilla

Veteran
Good morning my IC maggers brethren.
I opine.
Strains have much more to do with quality and quantity then say other factors like length of lights on time and not to forget spectrums and strength.
I have been using the gas lantern lighting cycle for 4-5 years now and suspect that I'll never go back to any other cycle.
In using the 12/1 for vegetating when I switch to flowering I start at 11/13 and cut 1/2 hour lights on time every 2 weeks until 9/15 is reach or until strain tells me its ready.
The strain that I grow takes 9 weeks to mature so.
In using the 12/1 I find that the vegetative cycle is lengthen a bit but the flowering cycle is shorten a bit.
I and my plants are quite happy in using this style but stoners being stoners who knows.
Ratz :tiphat:

oldbean

I have been talking about this and been doing this for many years now , here is the facts , I started flowering on 10/14 when I used to grow land race sativas , a 24 week flowering sat would take any thing from 16 to 18 weeks flower time on 10/14 buds were higher quality and more thc as the plants were more induced to flower , I flower any thing that doesn't have much bag appeal because it's to fluffy like this ,
It goes both ways cheese for example or quick flowering stocky plants you can add an hour so it would be 13/11 you add a week or two onto the flowering time but you increase yeild and much more, if you take an 8 week flowering plant and flowered it on 10/14 you will have it finished in just under six weeks you loose yield , you can either gain or loose other traits depending on the genetics such as if it's a poly hybrid .

:thank you:

I first found you were using this altered schedule in 2010 & now 12.5 on 11.5 off is my sweet spot and the last couple of weeks I knock a single segment down each week so they reduce by 15mins each week til they are done

You going to hook me up with some of those old nirvana packs stashed away in your vaults or what my brother?:tiphat:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The most complicated setup had reddish light starting on one side and bluish light overhead by noon and ending the day with reddish on the other side. Timing adjusted every third day.

The simplest was 12/12 with a grid of CMH.

I am in between the two at the present time.

It all grew plants but the one thing I learned was about the garden being a system. No single trick is going to make much difference unless something was really wrong and is getting fixed.

Strong lights, multiple directions, adequate spectrum. consistent timing, the team effort of all these determines how the garden grows.
Run a harvest with one set of times then the next harvest with the other set. Then YOU will know.

Nutrients and media have to fit in there as well.

oldbean

Phaeton

I'm running a cooltube & 2 led UFO units (216w each)

The LEDs will come on for the first hour, hps for 10hrs then just LEDs again for the last hour of 12\12

Peace

Ganja baba

Veteran
:thank you:

I first found you were using this altered schedule in 2010 & now 12.5 on 11.5 off is my sweet spot and the last couple of weeks I knock a single segment down each week so they reduce by 15mins each week til they are done

You going to hook me up with some of those old nirvana packs stashed away in your vaults or what my brother?:tiphat:

Hi mate yeah others do what you do to , I also drop segments at the end on most crops gets a better finish for sure ,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts