What's new

Colloidal Silver Project

RckyMtRdnk

Thanx for sharing. I've always been curious but never took the time to try it out for myself. Way to go!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have used both CS and also Gibberellic acid, STS is better, two sprays for fast flowering three for long flowering varieties, a week apart.
Gibberellic causes the stems to stretch and get crazy long and they break easy, and does not transform female to male as well.
STS is easy to make with distilled water. And is cheap to use.
I never made all female seeds to sell, I did make some to test grow 20 years ago as well as use it for breeding single Cannabinoid varieties by selfing the best by GC analysis, and growing the seeds and selfing the best seed grown confirmed by GC, and a third time the same. It ups levels of targeted Cannabinoids found in a plant from 1-2% to 5% to 10% to 10-20% each Cannabinoid was a bit different of course. We did it with the top Cannabinoids, CBD, CBC, CBG, THCV, CBDV, a few more we had a high THC variety already. You can end up with single Cannabinoid varieties in the 10-20% range with the single target Cannabinoid being up to 95+% of the total cannabinoids in the plant.
I would suggest you try and not use intersex plants unless you want your all female seeds to be all intersex also.
-SamS

Last edited:

smilley

Veteran
Hello Sam. I'm not a breeder, just a pollen chucker. You lost me regarding raising targeted cannabinoids so I'll just nod my head knowingly and smile. Could you elaborate on what an intersex plant is? Is it a single parent plant?

I'm going to try STS next season. I'm not certain the pollen was viable. No seeds are visible on the target buds but may be in the center of the buds as the pollination was done quite early. I'll be harvesting the plants next week and I'll know soon enough.
My first attempt with the colloidal silver produced a male but no pollen. This attempt produced pollen but the viability is suspect. I think it's time to try a new technique....

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Inersex means the plant expresses both sex with or without some kind of non-chemical stress. This can be directly because of intersex genes or genes that require some particular stress to make it express. That means like begets like.
-SamS

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
whats the best source /cheapest for STS...???? I have never used it and want to compare to CS.. 2 sprays sounds a lot better....yeehaw

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I buy the ingredients and make it my self here in the Netherlands from BOOM chemical supplies, but I have a lab, and an account with them.
-SamS

Dkgrower

Veteran
What are the ratios you guys work with when you make STS

1:4 or 1:5, 1 part pure silver nitrate and 4 parts pure sodium thiosulfate or 1:5

Also if any has optimal ppm range for the final STS solution to be used, spread the word..

nonstop

Hi , nice work. its a pity you left the pollen for so long , the chances to pollinate are mush mush lower compared to fresh pollen. fresh pollen is 100 times stronger than 6-7 week old pollen , especially when kept out of the freezer. What strain is this?

smilley

Veteran
Success!!

Success!!

picture.php

I harvested the selfed branch and after breaking open half the buds I've found at least 12 viable looking seeds. I'll probably find as many again in other buds from the branch and a smattering through the other buds on the plant. For me, this is the pinnacle of my pollen chucking adventures.

I did pollinate another branch on another female with the pollen that I stored in the freezer. I expect similar results on those buds as well. In hindsight, I chose the weakest female to reverse of the 3 I had to choose from. Go figure, eh? It was the healthiest of the clones at the time of selection.

I'd recommend this technique for any amateur pollen chucker. If you buy your colloidal silver at the health food store be sure it is selling you the most potent in stock. The larger bottles usually have half the ppm's of the smaller ones. I'll certainly be doing this again or try another method to produce my own feminized seeds. Have fun and remember, a little pollen goes a long way......

HellRazor

cool! i will gonna start making my tests here...someone know if you can use a PC old power supply for making the colloidal silver? its 12V and 5V lines, i thinking about taking two 12V and one 5V and bringing it togheter for 29V, also anyone know if you can put a lot of amperage on it? i know 500ma is fine, but here a got a lot of old laptop and print power supply with 3.5A on it...so:thinking:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Remember, you can increase the strength by evaporating some of the water off from any strength you can buy.

GoeRilla

cool! i will gonna start making my tests here...someone know if you can use a PC old power supply for making the colloidal silver? its 12V and 5V lines, i thinking about taking two 12V and one 5V and bringing it togheter for 29V, also anyone know if you can put a lot of amperage on it? i know 500ma is fine, but here a got a lot of old laptop and print power supply with 3.5A on it...so:thinking:

You don't need a lot of power.
A small 9-12V pover supply at 500mA or less is fine.
You don't want hi power, lower is more and produce better cs with smaller particles of silver.

Rilla.

I was wondering if the store bought one is good or not? even if you were to evaporate some of it, is it the same as home made CS?

I wanna try some of this pollen chucking.. got plenty space to experiment under the african sun..

Cannatonic

I was wondering if the store bought one is good or not? even if you were to evaporate some of it, is it the same as home made CS?

I wanna try some of this pollen chucking.. got plenty space to experiment under the african sun..

It's fairly easy to make your own CS. Almost any low voltage DC adapter will do, just make sure you use one with a low amperage, preferably 300-600 mA. The lower the amperage the smaller the particle size which is more easily absorbed by the plant tissue. For silver I use a single 10g .999 silver bar purchased off eBay for $10. I just cut it in half length wise and drill a hole on the end of each half to attach your two wires coming off your power supply. Wallah! With a little distilled water you now have the ingredients for a lifetime supply of quality CS for $10-15! I have used this method to make fem beans for quite some time now and I have never come across a strain that didn't produce viable female pollin from this method.:gday:

rmergysr

All that is required to make CS is a 9 volt battery, a grain of wheat light bulb and two pieces of 99% pure silver wire (I use 10 gauge wire) and a glass of water. It only takes a couple of minutes to make a glass of CS.

rmergysr

The grain of wheat light bulb is to control the amount of current. he higher the current the bigger the partials. My battery last for many weeks making a glass a day.
High current is only used for silver plating. CS is very fine partials, it should look like a cloud forming in the glass that you need to stir to mix.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
never heard of anyone making cs in minutes,, never heard of grain of wheat light bulb either...yeehaw

smilley

Veteran
I have used both CS and also Gibberellic acid, STS is better, two sprays for fast flowering three for long flowering varieties, a week apart.
Gibberellic causes the stems to stretch and get crazy long and they break easy, and does not transform female to male as well.
STS is easy to make with distilled water. And is cheap to use.
I never made all female seeds to sell, I did make some to test grow 20 years ago as well as use it for breeding single Cannabinoid varieties by selfing the best by GC analysis, and growing the seeds and selfing the best seed grown confirmed by GC, and a third time the same. It ups levels of targeted Cannabinoids found in a plant from 1-2% to 5% to 10% to 10-20% each Cannabinoid was a bit different of course. We did it with the top Cannabinoids, CBD, CBC, CBG, THCV, CBDV, a few more we had a high THC variety already. You can end up with single Cannabinoid varieties in the 10-20% range with the single target Cannabinoid being up to 95+% of the total cannabinoids in the plant.
I would suggest you try and not use intersex plants unless you want your all female seeds to be all intersex also.
-SamS

To a layman like me, this means hermies or a greater chance. I grew a crop of 6 of the non-intersex female seeds. They had terrific vigour and exhibited the characteristics I expected.

I'm running a second crop, this time I have 6 of the crossed fems and 5 of the selfed fems. The selfed seedlings are runtier and much less vigorous. I'm going to try flowering a couple of the selfed plants and see what happens. If they hermie, I'll cull them and pitch out the rest of the selfed seeds.

It's hard to believe these plants were started at the same time.

Latest posts

Latest posts