What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transplanting question

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Hello friends. I have seedlings that are 2-3 inches long growing in cup size peat pots. They have roots growing through the bottom, my question is are they to small to transplant into i believe 1.5 gallon containers?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The more root space they have the faster they typically grow, ime.

Keeping plants in small containers is one method used to control size.

Roots coming out of the cup pot with such small plants could mean heavy flowers.

Transplant according to your goals. If you plan on growing trees, transplant more often in order to maintain vigorous growth.

:tiphat:

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Transplanting changes root types as well, gradually upping size produces a dense fibrous root system, up potting to a very large size early can in some cases result in a lot of "wasted" soil space. Roots head out & down, and you get winding instead of branching. If you are using root pruning pots this of course doesn't hold true.

Latest posts

Latest posts