What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

potatoe cloning method

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
pieceofmyheart said:
Well...all is not lost dear. If you will look back I believe there were as many people agreeing with you as flaming. Ignore the asholes...they abound everywhere. But give the rest of us a chance, cool?

See...what it is.....I've noticed....some men who grow weed have this thing that happens to them. Their ego seems to jump right up their behind and consequently gives them a raging boner, they then relieve this pressure by shit talkin'.

Well - She's probably right.

Signed (and sighed), A Man

DeadlyFoez

I think this is an interesting idea. My only concern is possible contamination like said previously.

But if you were to cut out a small piece almost like a rapid rooter, and make sure there is no existing skin of the potato left on the plug, it would prevent the potato piece from rooting and you'd lose that possible contamination a little bit.

I think it could work really well, and use a heatmat and you'd get some quick rooted clones. Perfect for ghetto growers or any one who's looking to try other methods or doesn't want to drive to a hydro store. I'd try it out.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Q. What is the pH of potato ???

ps. when potatoes start going green they're going > alkaline. in other words theyre not exactly pH stable!

Last edited:

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Yeah, it does sound like a pretty nifty trick. I'm a bit of a improviser myself. All that stuff can get expensive. Whatever works! Seems like the tater would hold enough moisture to get it going. You could probably even cut it into whatever shape you needed as well. Stick 'em right into trays. As for the contamination, what about soaking them in straight ro water for a few days first to flush 'em out?

Last edited:

estee420

I can't get to a camera or I would do so. A very simple way to start clones is to use a small potatoe with a hole chucked out of it just large enough for your stem to go into. You should "peel" the portion of the stem that goes into the potatoe. I used to see on other forums how cloning was a diffucult thing for some, this method is monkey proof and works well. The clones won't start as fast as say hydro clones but for organic growing and all soil grows it works pretty much flawlessly. you don't want too large a cutting or it won't work so figure 3-4inches tops. And from my experience a little trimming of the leaves will help encorauge some root growth. hope it helps some people
Potato Graft:
This technique works well with woody stems. The idea here is to use the potato as a grafted root. Put a cut or hole in the potato so that your clone will fit snugly inside. “Plant” your cutting in the potato and then bury the potato in soil just below the surface. The potato will quickly grow roots while providing the plant with its required moisture and nutrients. As roots from the clone develop, the soft potato will give way and split. Potato leaves will also develop and should be removed.

Latest posts

Latest posts