What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This will be my set up — Change my mind.

Sans.Lacunes

pick up 4 of the new TS 1000 from mars hydro.

switch to hydro,,,get 4--5 gallon dwc buckets

get the basic GH maxi gro,bllom,Koolbloom dry mix nutes..

Serious White Russian seeds

Sensi Shiva Skunk seeds

Thank you for your suggestions!

Although, I am very set on growing in organic living soil. As for genetic choices, I've heard great things about those 2 strains, but the more research I do and the more I want to run CSI humboldts genetics. I will chose one of his more stable lines and one that I can read or ask about online. My first picks would be his Old family purple

Sans.Lacunes

:scripture:
Great mindset man. I've tried various types of lights and purple can sure grow nice plants. I find myself totally agreeing with koondense here, I couldn't say it better and I'm posting it here because I just think it's good simple information and well said:

So if a light has those parts you're getting in the right ballpark. Researching those specific leds a bit will bring you up to date on the currently good technology. Anything else might work, but these mentioned leds are the closest to "tried & true" that you get with HPS. Armed with this knowledge you could make an even more educated decision between HID and LED. (+1 for CMH in the case of hid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1O3OD-dI20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92g1SFFDKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9NbN4ZFqZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_wIvXm81uo

I'm not affiliated with any of these channels or their products. These are lengthy but interesting. Very valuable information.

:scripture: I was just reading this thread and this exact post made me research all this companies!!! Hahaha. I'm am excited to watch/read all these things, I should be more fluent in led terms in the next few days!

Jammal

Trust me, go hydro indoors...I know , I know Organic living and yada yada...

it can never be organic indoors,,,only outdoors in the sun.

I resisted for a long time also,,..you save yourself so many problems,,,the gains far out weigh the negatives,,not to mention the yield and time saved, quality and ease of use.
its very easy and clean.....seriously don't be that granola

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway

I resisted for a long time also,,..you save yourself so many problems,,,the gains far out weigh the negatives,,not to mention the yield and time saved, quality and ease of use.

To piggyback on Jammal's comment- if you still want the 'fun' of watering plants, check out the Original Hempy Bucket thread.
Very simple and effective way to grow weed. It's hydroponics 'by hand'.

Sans.Lacunes

I am curious as to why you don't consider an indoor amended soil grow being "organic", could you please elaborate on this?

I've researched hydroponics and by comparison, using the stepwell soil in 5 gallon buckets seems much easier to me, and also more forgoving.I am not the type to just jump on any "hype train" blindly, I understand what you mean by "don't be this granola", but how can it be easier than just watering and giving the plant compost teas + foliage sprays once in a while? I've seen first timer's results with this soil and its quite frankly spectacular.

Then again, thank you for you input! I want this to be a conversation and I'm very much open to all ideas. The opinions that contradict my initial thoughts are even more interesting to me

Sans.Lacunes

Update on light

Update on light

http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/

I am very interested in building this light, and tuning down to a 3x3 grow space with 2-3 plants. From what I have read, if i use 3000k as well as 3500k strips with this build, i should have pretty good results. The total cost would be around 350$ before shipping. Here are the specs:

Type: C.V./Parallel

Diode Count: 720

System Voltage: 46.8V

System Current: 6,700mA

System Power: 313.3W

Lumen Estimate (3000K): 52,777

Efficacy: 168 lm/w

Jammal

Hydro 5 gallon buckets require change of nutrients once a week and a water top off once in between that... measure a 1/2 teaspoon of powder and your good... really it's that easy,,and hydro is not a fad or gimmick or hype train...it's been proven scientifically to be 50% more effective than soil and that's on the low end...

Money seems to be a deal breaker here, maybe build something on the micro side.

Sans.Lacunes

Hydro 5 gallon buckets require change of nutrients once a week and a water top off once in between that... measure a 1/2 teaspoon of powder and your good... really it's that easy,,and hydro is not a fad or gimmick or hype train...it's been proven scientifically to be 50% more effective than soil and that's on the low end...

Money seems to be a deal breaker here, maybe build something on the micro side.

Sure hydro might be more effective, but at what cost? From my experience as a smoker, i've always had more pleasure smoking flowers grown in soil and without salts than hydro. Now I know this is a big debate, and as someone who has never grown who am I to say this? Oh well...

Now going back to price and ease of use: an hydro set up with nutes would cost me around the same as the stepwell soil and em1 I want to use, tho with hydro I got to keep track of ppm and be careful not to burn my plants. Super soil avoids that. The only component where i can save reak money is not my medium, but the lights I will chose to use.

And I didnt mean that hydro was a hype train! I was trying to say that I do not want to grow "organicaly" because of hype, but because of experience and observation.

Again thanks for giving me your 2cents!

Jammal

Your making hydro way more complicated than it needs to be,,,it's actually less than half the work of soil...

Like you said , you haven't grown either way,,..I have and also a few other ways...

Actually my favorite is outdoor organics rolled in joints...

Indoors organics just isn't the same...this is the place hydro shines,,,and don't judge other people's hydro that's commercial for sale ,,to what your personally grown hydro quality is capable of...

Serious Bro,,, personally grown hydro doesn't equal what's commercially available hydro or even what your good buddy pass off,,,it's kind of rare these days.... actually very rare, the top end hydro growers of the 90's has faded away...so much more is capable as far as quality flowers are concerned with hydro than what you are seeing today as more of a commercial market.

Sans.Lacunes

Your making hydro way more complicated than it needs to be,,,it's actually less than half the work of soil...

Like you said , you haven't grown either way,,..I have and also a few other ways...

Actually my favorite is outdoor organics rolled in joints...

Indoors organics just isn't the same...this is the place hydro shines,,,and don't judge other people's hydro that's commercial for sale ,,to what your personally grown hydro quality is capable of...

Serious Bro,,, personally grown hydro doesn't equal what's commercially available hydro or even what your good buddy pass off,,,it's kind of rare these days.... actually very rare, the top end hydro growers of the 90's has faded away...so much more is capable as far as quality flowers are concerned with hydro than what you are seeing today as more of a commercial market.

I hear you! To be honest, I would run both side by side if I had the space. I would love to run 8-10 plants in a dwc tub and scrog it in the future tho

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Organic, water only soil for the win. :joint:

picture.php

dank.Frank

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
pick up 4 of the new TS 1000 from mars hydro.

switch to hydro,,,get 4--5 gallon dwc buckets

get the basic GH maxi gro,bllom,Koolbloom dry mix nutes..

Serious White Russian seeds

Sensi Shiva Skunk seeds
I am very curious about the growing effect of you using 4 TS1000. I would be very grateful if you could share some pictures. Or do you keep a growing diary here?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Bestva LEDs suck. My buddy bought 3 lights a little over a year ago. I tried to get him to buy better lights but the Bestva were cheaper. At about a year around half the diodes were burned out on all three lights.

I gave him some better LEDs to try and he ended up buying them from me. Plant growth was much better and I know the lights wont burn out like the Bestvas. Better quality of parts.

Also if you need a bunch of cooling fans on your lights then the light probably is running the diodes at to high of a current to last a long time. Bestva has a bunch of cooling fans and runs hot. Heat kills LEDs life span.

Save your money on the Bestva light till you can get something that will last. Dont believe the reviews on Amazon. You can pay to get them or give away stuff to get the good reviews. Seriously there are hidden Facebook groups that do this sort of stuff.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
And Koondense didnt get all the best diodes. Cree has a new white diode that runs almost as well as the Samsung chips. Just not out in the market as much yet. They also do most of the colored diodes people are using to boost the white lights in the far red and blues.

If you see a light that is using the Cree diodes with the Samsung diodes it is most likely a good light. That said some cheaper lights are crap that claim to be running the better diodes and you should read around to see who is putting out good lights and who is not. Lots of counterfeit lights out there that are in line with the Bestva.

Sans.Lacunes

Bestva LEDs suck. My buddy bought 3 lights a little over a year ago. I tried to get him to buy better lights but the Bestva were cheaper. At about a year around half the diodes were burned out on all three lights.

I gave him some better LEDs to try and he ended up buying them from me. Plant growth was much better and I know the lights wont burn out like the Bestvas. Better quality of parts.

Also if you need a bunch of cooling fans on your lights then the light probably is running the diodes at to high of a current to last a long time. Bestva has a bunch of cooling fans and runs hot. Heat kills LEDs life span.

Save your money on the Bestva light till you can get something that will last. Dont believe the reviews on Amazon. You can pay to get them or give away stuff to get the good reviews. Seriously there are hidden Facebook groups that do this sort of stuff.

Thank you for the warning!

When I look at some of these "premade" leds specs v.s. the hype that they get on amazon I just know theres something fishy lol...

The more I read about LEDs and their components, the more I realise that which road you take – cobs v.s. strips/ running more diodes v.s. less/ etc. – is a personal choice. I am currently making a list of all the material I need to build my own light using samsung F-series strips.
If i can source all the material for a considerably lower price than if i bought a DIY kit, that'll be great!

snel

Look at blumats If growing organic indoor. Make you life so much easier. And re the organic / hydro debate grow the way you want to smoke. I hate smoking salts based meds, if nothing else it’s in my head but that’s enough for me.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Thank you for the warning!

When I look at some of these "premade" leds specs v.s. the hype that they get on amazon I just know theres something fishy lol...

The more I read about LEDs and their components, the more I realise that which road you take – cobs v.s. strips/ running more diodes v.s. less/ etc. – is a personal choice. I am currently making a list of all the material I need to build my own light using samsung F-series strips.
If i can source all the material for a considerably lower price than if i bought a DIY kit, that'll be great!

More diodes cost more but you can run them at lower current. Lower current means less heat and more light per diode.

If you are getting strips you can run them at a higher current to start. Then latter add more strips and reduce the current. That would get you into LEDs a little cheaper to start and let you build over time. You just need to get a driver that you can do this with. One that you can drive at a lower current latter. Or one that can be split between several strips latter.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Look at blumats If growing organic indoor. Make you life so much easier. And re the organic / hydro debate grow the way you want to smoke. I hate smoking salts based meds, if nothing else it’s in my head but that’s enough for me.

I have a friend who smokes mine because it is smoother than anyone else he gets from. He is very sensitive to chems. He use to own a dispensary and had access to many many growers. Said mine was the best most consistent stuff he got. I grow with chems. But I dont over feed and I flush well.

Jacks 5-12-26 is what I use. Cheapest nutes out there by far.

Sans.Lacunes

My first grow will definetly be organic, and I just looked at those blumats irrigation systems, I might just buy me a few at some point! But I'd buy an RO water filter system first though...:underwater: