What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ICMAG slow to load

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I have to think it's on your side somehow. Other than a single pic upload the other day, sites been zippy all month for me.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dont think so its not just me..im using firefox,explorer 9. I have more iussues with 9 then I do with Firefox

G

Guest 18340

Yah, I use Firefox. Goes just as slow on the wife's Ipad...
Mind you, it's intermittent but more often than not, lately.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I don't mean to suggest it's "you". Rather that it's something in your choice of OS or browser or the settings therein. Exploder has always been buggy and full of holes. FireFox surprises me.

Maybe there's a "virus"? Macs aren't invulnerable; Hackers just consider us a waste of time. Other than UltraCurrent, all the problems seem in the world of M$. My Mac with Safari is flyin'.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's actually faster for me than normal with this drop in site traffic.
dunno, but fine on my end

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
couple days ago it was slow....

today its fast as hell!!!!

google chrome....

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
Yah, I use Firefox. Goes just as slow on the wife's Ipad...
Mind you, it's intermittent but more often than not, lately.

smae thing here, using firefox and lately sometimes it works fine and others it just loads forever...been like a week or so now..

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
I dunno it's kinda been slower all year. Not so bad lately, but was def nervous for awhile in the summer.

Hey evlme, is that a love and rockets avatar?

G

Guest 18340

Hey evlme, is that a love and rockets avatar?
Mad Season. The late Layne Staley's (Alice in Chains) side project.

*EDIT*
Wanted to add; When I first set up this computer I installed Google Chrome. Same intermittent slow loading. So I took it off and installed FireFox.
This is a brand new computer, literally a few days old. Only the basics are installed and a techno geek friend gave it a 100% clean bill of health.
When I just now logged on it took more than a few moments to load the home page. First post was zippy. But when I went to edit the post it took it's time opening up.
Certain times are worse than others, but in general icmag hasn't been loading right for a few weeks now. For me anyway...

MyAssIsGrass

?_?
Veteran
I still get the occasional 'Internal server error' page but the site hasn't been slow for me at all recently, using the latest Firefox

S

SeaMaiden

we are working on several issues at the moment to improve the site speed, the 10 - 15 min period around 8am uk time is due to the log's
and cache being cleared / updated and due to the size of the site and the log files this can cause the site to grind to a halt

I'm looking to upgrade to Ver 4 to improve the speed of the site but there are major issues with this upgrade
the prime one being the gallery system we have (old & new) and trying to integrate them without loosing any pictures

in the New year I'm going to start trimming off a lot of dead wood from the site to improve performance
but as you can imagine a site this size thats been running for over 7 years the database is huge
so this will take several weeks and some down time to achieve
Good Lord, what a headache! I have worked a lot with another site that has a massive database, just unbelievable. While the database is huge and the entire thing is 'married' to Frontpage, it still loads up pages very quickly. I'm thinking server issue or it's to do with the graphics in the advertising.

EVERY computer I've used to view ICMag, Windows, Linux and Android OS (both Gingerbread and Honeycomb), the site is very slow to load. We have a pretty big pipeline to the inet here, too. I've assumed it's really more to do with the banners, because the site I've worked with doesn't have animated banners.

Could it be the animated adverts?
I don't mean to suggest it's "you". Rather that it's something in your choice of OS or browser or the settings therein. Exploder has always been buggy and full of holes. FireFox surprises me.

Maybe there's a "virus"? Macs aren't invulnerable; Hackers just consider us a waste of time. Other than UltraCurrent, all the problems seem in the world of M$. My Mac with Safari is flyin'.
Ok then, other alternative is this--has anyone pinged the site to see what's happening down the line?

Ping! Lemme ping, see what I get.

Well, I don't see a lot of jumps or handshakes from server to server. Response time is a little on the slow side, but no packets lost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PING www.icmag.com (217.195.115.146) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=1 ttl=49 time=176 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=2 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=3 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=4 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=5 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=6 ttl=49 time=176 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=7 ttl=49 time=176 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=8 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=9 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=10 ttl=49 time=176 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=11 ttl=49 time=177 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=12 ttl=49 time=176 ms
64 bytes from ws183.rb.ppse.net (217.195.115.146): icmp_seq=13 ttl=49 time=177 ms

Skip

Veteran
As Oldpink mentioned there are a couple of issues that are causing delays.

1. Backups. Depending upon your time zone, you might find the server slow during the 10-15 minute backup, once a day. There is nothing we can do about this at present.

2. Logging in. When you login to icmag, if you have any PMs waiting it takes a long time to load the site. Once you've accessed your PM page, the site should run smoothly. The good news is that this will be fixed soon. I think this is the big problem for most ppl and I had the same problem on another vb site until today when I figured out a solution...

Let us know if the site is slow all the time for you. There could be another problem we're not aware of yet, or it could be something on your end....

As far as the ping response time goes, that's not a factor in this situation.

G

Guest 18340

Holy Shit! Welcome back Skip!!!
As of just a few seconds ago the 'site is still slow to load. Be it upon login or clicking onto forums.
Was at a friends house two days ago and watched icmag load real slow over their as well.
Oh, it loads slow whether or not I have pm's waiting.