What's new

Training Our Pet Dogs As Sniffers...For Safety's Sake

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would it be possible to train our pet dogs to sniff for the scent of weed the same way LEO trains their dogs?

The value would be off the charts, a legit test to see if your stash can be found by LEO dogs, or, if you are going to use the mail system to send some nugs to a friend.

Training them to the same level as LEO dogs might be difficult, but even if you were only able to train your pet to be half as good as a LEO dog, that would still be valuable.

Any dog trainers out there? Can ya put in your 2 cents?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
My understanding of the way they train their dogs is to first find a dog that just goes CRAZY for it's favorite toy (like a ball). You can't use just any old dog.

After that, you scent the ball with cannabis. You're trying to get the dog to associate the smell of cannabis with the ball he can't live without.

Then you train him to fetch the ball by scent alone.

Eventually there is no ball, just herb. When the dog smells herb, he starts digging like crazy because he thinks his ball is there.

You'll be putting in a lot of work, but it is theoretically possible.

Another problem you'll have is that in the mail system, the herb will have a lot of time to permeate the container it is in. So even if your dog doesn't smell it right after you package it, the DEA's dog might smell it if he gets to it 2-3 days later.

FYI - I am not a dog trainer.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah from what i know thats about how you train a drug sniffing dog. you get em a toy, their favorite toy, let em play with it get adjusted to it then you take it away. make it smell like drugs and then give it to the dog to play with but now only once in a while and as a reward. so a few weeks later you are letting the dog play with the toy once a week, and only ofter he has found it where you hid it. eventually the dog only see's the toy once in a blue moon and after successfully finding drugs.

the end.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So far....sounds plausible. If you were to go out and pick out a puppy with the intention of finding one with a personality that gets excited about objects (pretty easy to test for), then all you would have to do would be regularly train the fella using the system you guys both talked about.

That would be fun to train for this. Not to mention the fun that could be had when you and your dog go hang out at BBQ's and the pooch spots the folks carrying. :)

diggdugg

Google Barry Cooper. He was a drug cop that trained dogs in Texas. He has since left the dark side and is an activist for decrim. He has a site where you can ask questions.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
After training you'd really have to hide your stash good, and it might be tough taking a smoke with the dog around.
Good Luck

wco68

Why would you want to train your dog for this?he will be diggging in your stash all the time.pesonlly I would train to find people. Same concepet of training always could use search and rescue dogs.look to see if you have a shutshund clue by you.very fun

supermanlives

Veteran
anti got it right. it aint hard to do. not all dogs make good sniffers tho. when i was growing up the guy down the street trained dogs for a living

nomaad

Veteran
problem with this method of training is that handlers can make their gods alert on, for instance, your trunk by simply using the same tone of voice that they use for "where's the ball"... I think I saw that on an old Barry Cooper video, actually.

Pet dogs = NO

These are working dogs from birth. For a dog to be effective at sniffing out partaicular scents it takes years of dedicated training. Certain breeds are more suited for this activity.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah, but this isn't impossible. it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks but you can always just get a young dog, and all this information is freely available on the interwebs. for instance those little purse dogs they use at the airport for sniffing drugs are the second most sensitive dog noses besides german shepherds i believe. cocker spaniel. even if im wrong a quick google will give us all the information we need to train a dog.

i doub't its that goddamn hard, just takes dedication and time. its a fucking dog, we're not talking about cooking up hash in the jungles of south america.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AAAAAAAAnd, it's ON! We have our first experiment(er) lined up! No pressure superman!

Hahahahaha :)

If I had a young dog that still had puppy energy I'd be giving it a shot.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i dont know but if you got dogs that sniff out pot and your not a cop then my head thinks your a ripper

^^ first thought in my head but maybe im noid

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Joke thread right??? try thinkin years!! startin wth a pup,dedicated to nothinn else. Even then professional handlers will missread their dogs. Yeah been there got the scars. Had gurls that would find your money roll in a wall..Ex bitch trained bitches. Damn I miss them dogs....

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont know but if you got dogs that sniff out pot and your not a cop then my head thinks your a ripper

^^ first thought in my head but maybe im noid

Thats a bit of a stretch, Weird. Yes, such a dog would be useful to a weed ripper, but would also be valuable to somebody who sends weed through the mail, or to any of us who wish to remain as safe as possible. And, if on occassion you wanted to have fun with it amongst friends, that would be possible as well.

supermanlives

Veteran
its not that hard to do if you got a willing dog with a good sniffer.but i guess alot depends on the trainer too. some people cant even get their dog to sit or lay down on command.i am the dog whisperer and pack leader LOL