What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rooting in plain water.

ahortator

Veteran
PjF0Rhd.jpg

Mattbho

Changing water and rinsing out the cup every couple days is key imo. Once it gets slimey or smelly throw out and try again . Also I think the thicker stems do better in the windowsill/lazyass method .

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I was able to get 2 to root,but it tool several weeks, they looked sad at the end like star crash suggested his results were. I think I'll stay with more reliable methods.

imiubu

Good info here, thanks to the contributors :tiphat:

I've tried all except using coco or the perlite/ vermiculite method and rarely loose a cut.

Tap water here is typically 7.6-7.8 ph. I let it set out yet the ph changes to only slightly lower.

IME using only water does work just a bit slower than other methods. I have discovered that when leaving cuts in the water long enough to develop a good root system, causes them to be slow/ stressed/ weaker after planting into soil. I've found this to be true across the board with all the strains I've done this way. They do much better when I plant them at the nubby stage of rooting it seems.
I do not purposely root by water it just kind of happens when I get lazy haha.

The closet used for cuts/ clones/ seedlings is a bit cooler than the main room @ approx. 68 degrees.

I use rooting cubes, cloning hormones and a cloning tray with a dome. 14 days max to roots this way. No heating mat or any of those luxuries.

I have also taken cuts and planted directly into a light soil of peat, rice hulls and splash of compost. I also use a clear cup inside of a regular solo to keep an eye on the roots etc. This method causes me a bit of anxiety while waiting yet it has been a successful method.

Going to give the aloe tech a try next round of cuts. If aloe works efficiently, I'll no longer use the clone gel.

r4mbICu.jpg

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
over the years i have tried most cloning methods- used a tupperware container with airstones, worked pretty well.... in plain water/rooting cubes, rooting gel/etc all work, but the best way i have found in filling a solo cup with perlite, a couple of holes an inch from the bottom, water, throw in the clone, and so far i have 100pct success... and it seems to work no matter what plant i'm cloning- i'm hooked

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
One key component I did not see mentioned is air quality.

The lower your air quality, the longer time it will take and the lower the success rate will be. Misting them several times a day can help increase success rate by interrupting the fungal germination process. Changing the tap water out consistently will keep the chlorine levels high enough to help combat fungal growth, where chlorine is used in the tap water.

What's in _your_ air? :)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
i use a bucket with a bunch of clones, put a bubbler in the bottom, straight tap water. add heat in winter.

I've tried water ina cup, my tap is 200ppms, with mixed results. But like weed says here.. "put a bubbler in the bottom" of any container.. I've used air curtians in my 'cloner' tub with incredible results (been using the same air curtains for almost 2 years by soaking them in tap water with good dose of of bleach with air pumps pumping) roots in 10 days, mostly, some do take longer but success is in the 90% range.. I'm not capable of remembering to change the water for the oxygen requirement for successful cloning in unaided tap water.

vanilla dutch

Water in a cup is thee only method i use. Im in no hurry. I just put a small desk fan near em to make the plant drink and change the water everyday with cold water.put a 60 watt flouro over em for 24 hours until they root. So easy a caveman could do it.the less heat the better.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Water in a cup is thee only method i use. Im in no hurry. I just put a small desk fan near em to make the plant drink and change the water everyday with cold water.put a 60 watt flouro over em for 24 hours until they root. So easy a caveman could do it.the less heat the better.

I've tried VD (VD!:dancer:) but have hard time remembering to change the water, even occasionally. The fan could be a game changer though. Never thought that way about the plants water uptake. I do use only tap water but ina 5 gallon tub with 2 air pumps pumping 24/7. I'll try again with the glass/fan.. Maybe change water every so often. the pumps make a droning humm that can be a PITA though out the house, subtle but there.

vanilla dutch

I change the water everyday, with cold water. And make my cuts underwater at a node in a 45 degree angle.other than that not much to it.:woohoo:

Sub24ox7

Personally I’ve done this before but not every cut will make it. It takes a long time too, can take two and a half weeks and by then they can look like shit if they made it. I found tap water better than ro water I think it inhibits fungal growth. Anyway, an aero clones is a magical thing, I get lots of roots in one week and EVERY single cut I take makes it. It’s really the only way to go.

Slimm

A small amount of clean water in a small jar with a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. Seeds usually sprout in one to two days this way. You can root them in the jar but there’s not much to gain - put them in a cup with wet perlite - roots like air. Add a small amount of hydrogen peroxide from time to time to eliminate parasites and pathogens.

PolyChucker

I have tried this.
My belief is that all cloning methods are made easier by vigorous growth - helps the cutting make roots before it dies.
I am working with some mutts with low vigor.
Some of my cuts will root in tap water. The water has to be changed once a week to keep chlorine content high enough to stop slimy mold. Usually I do this as a last resort for plants that didn’t seem good so I didn’t take a clone and then they blossomed at the end.
already flowering cuttings in water kinda makes sense, because you need like 2 weeks for the plant to reveg first and then it might start making roots. I have one flowering clone in water hoping to save it. The mom grew very slow but now she smells like grape bubble gum, want to save that quality.
for me it’s at least a month before roots. The one that finally made one skinny root, I tried to transition it to soil by slowly dropped soil into the water. So it goes from water, to water with dirt floating in it, to soggy dirt. It died :( . A large factor is probably the vigor of my plants - seems promising how it can hold cuttings in suspended animation for a couple months - never had success but seems like it might work eventually.

Cuddles

on the other forum(s) I was on it was mentioned that aspirin (Acetyl salicyclic acid) helps to speed up the rooting process. I can´t remember if I ever tried it or not or if it worked well.
They also said that watering plants or spraying them is really good for them in general.

PolyChucker

The flowering cutting I’m trying to root in plain water has been under 24hr light for 2 wks, hoping it can reveg and make roots. The cutting is proceeding with finishing flower just like it’s mom despite the lighting - leaves turning yellow and pistils turning brown - as if it was still on the plant. When I cut it off it was white pistils and green fan leaves. I’m convinced it has whatever hormones that the mom has that are telling it to finish flowering. You would think 24hr light for 2wks would have told it to reveg, but these processes seem to be already in its blood. Wish I could be the guy who brags about rooting flowering cuttings but doesn’t seem to be in the cards without crazy root vigor. At least that’s my best explanation for why I haven’t had success with this method

vanilla dutch

The flowering cutting I’m trying to root in plain water has been under 24hr light for 2 wks, hoping it can reveg and make roots. The cutting is proceeding with finishing flower just like it’s mom despite the lighting - leaves turning yellow and pistils turning brown - as if it was still on the plant. When I cut it off it was white pistils and green fan leaves. I’m convinced it has whatever hormones that the mom has that are telling it to finish flowering. You would think 24hr light for 2wks would have told it to reveg, but these processes seem to be already in its blood. Wish I could be the guy who brags about rooting flowering cuttings but doesn’t seem to be in the cards without crazy root vigor. At least that’s my best explanation for why I haven’t had success with this method

Harvest on reveg rooting clone .revolutionary.

PolyChucker

Harvest on reveg rooting clone .revolutionary.

Haha I’ve seen people brag on cloning discussions that they can even root flowering cuttings but I think you would need very aggressive growth genetics or take the cutting earlier to pull this off. My plants are usually hard to clone. If they do root it’s 2 weeks or more not 7-10 days as some people say. Also I have revegged some plants but maybe 50% success. Some strains definitely seem more grower friendly in clone and reveg which I just assume is better “vigor” until I can understand the mechanism better. Im working with some crappy seeds and each good feature like clone-ability, fast growth etc have to be selected for over several generations to be locked in - I no longer take it for granted that a plant will be easy to work with or make good bud. It is frustrating when you get a plant that’s weak or grows slow but then has a cool flavor and doesn’t want to be cloned and it’s too late to save it.