What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If you could go to any country to acquire breeding genes from landrace...

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
where would it be? Particularly if the search was for something fruity and being even more particular orange...I am guessing the last particular is near impossible to answer, but I have to ask because I do not know.

If there is no place for such particulars then where in general these days?

Answers I am looking for would be more a long the lines of region or specific city/village to start out in rather than simply the country. Currently thinking about Colombia, Jamaica, India, and Africa but I do not have the slightest clue where to start out.

:tiphat:

very interesting question... how about Oaxaca? i'm sure i don't have to tell you this, but in rosenthal's newest handbook there is a pretty good (imho) synopsis of landrace traits. south africa seems worth checking out. a client of the lab i work at went to africa not that long ago to find seeds of strains with abnormally high concentrations of THCVA. she definitely picked some winners but she has a long way to go before she breeds that particular trait in with a dense bud that produces enough CBGA to be worth while. If i had to choose just one i think i would go with foothills of India... but i feel like many a like-minded folk have gone that road already.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cambodia, Afghanistan and Burma in that order for me......one day maybe.
Peace

p.s Papa New Guinea is another that would be great to explore for genetics

Last edited:

sso

Veteran
allready been to vietnam, wouldnt mind checking out some places in africa and southamerica.

and some more places in asia too :)

would probably be cool to get some afghanistan strain, but i dont think im going there :/

Look around new jersey? Staten island?

Look around new jersey? Staten island?

where would it be? Particularly if the search was for something fruity and being even more particular orange...

:tiphat:

chernobyl-boys.jpg

mintz

West Africa for me,starting in Guinea,sierra leone,Libirea and all the forested areas of that part of africa,south africa has been done,and i know theres a lot of hiden magic to be found around here,my little knowledge of strains from just sierra leone is theres a lot of different colours from brown,green,almost black just like the soils in different parts of the country,weed from coastal areas,in land(upline)and a lot of promise with mold resistance couse that area of africa is wet and moist for parts of the year and cause a lot of people that dont come or originate from that part of africa dont travel there.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Based on geography and climate:

Colombia and Mexico

These countries still have genetic pools of the classic sativas of yore...

But you must know "game" and be willing to hike for days.

Ojo

psyke

I would look to peru. Why?

You need two ingridients for a potent landrace:

1. A place near the equator. The closer you get, the better the landrace.
2. A place in the mountains. The UV-radiation is much higher. So is the resin, which is made for protecting the buds from too much radiation.

Peru has both characteristics. If there is a true landrace in Peru, is has to be good.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
If i could go i would be gone by now. Start somewhere and end it when you find IT.
Mexico, Peru, Colombia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Thailand, Laos, Nepal, China, Cambodja, Angola, Mozambique, Morocco, Senegal, Tasmania are a few places that i have on my list.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
A buddy of mine left for Peru a week ago . He will be there for about 6 weeks.
We had this exact discussion.
I am anxious to see if he is able to bring anything back.
Keeping my fingers crossed.