What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PH/deficiency?

$niffy

Hey fellas

I'm growing a master kush mother in soil at the moment but I'm having a few problems. I believe I might have a PH problem (the pen I use is a little shit and unreliable) but I'm unsure and would appericate some of your opinions :) The pic below is of some leafs I removed from the plant (they came off with a very gentle tug, I don't know if that means anything) so your feed-back would be cool. Thanks

Rhino

What are you using for nutes and at what strength?
I'm asking because that might be overfertilization.

PH is also important since it could lock out your nutes.

Pot size and watering schedule would also be helpful.

$niffy

I'm using General hydrohonic's nutes. I'm feeding at 1.25 EC. For the size of the plant plus feedings she received when she was previously grown, I don't think I have fed her too much. She was last fed 6 days ago and she has only recently started showing these sypmtons, I would imagine the results from overfertilization would occur sooner.

I flushed her 8 days ago so I don't think it's a build up.

Sorry I can't tell you the size of the pot as I don't actually know, my growing partner gave it to me. I would guess it's around 1 gal. I'll find out tomorrow but it won't be til the afternoon. For what it's worth, I think the size of the plant is nearing it's capacity in the pot. She needs doing everyday 2-3 days now and the last time she was watered, she didn't seem to perk up to her usual self after which is normaly remedied by a transplant.

I can't be totally confidient the PH was spot on in the last watering and feeding as the pen plays up sometimes. The only method I have of seeing what is going on in the soil PH wise is by testing the run off. The problem occurs though that if I water her to test the run off, she may need feeding and she will get worse. If there is a PH problem though and I go feed her, the problem will get worse also. I'm a little stuck. I guess a little more defiency is better than her buring. Sorry I'm just voicing my thoughts here.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Looks like a lockout of mag from PH problems or excessive calcium from hard water to me. What's your water source and EC?

Some pics of the entire plant would be helpful as well as the PH of the nute solution going in and coming out...

$niffy

I get my water from a tap and it is indeed hard water. Its EC is 0.35

I'll get some pictures in the next 8 hours or so. For what it's worth when I flushed her with 6.5 water, the run off was reading 6.2.

She needs some water within the next 12 hours as she was quite light when I was last checked her. Do you suggest I feed her (you mentioned the solution going in and out. If it's PH lockout and I go feed her, it will get worse) or just give her plain water? As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm a little screwed either way.

Last edited:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
aha...I'll bet that you've got high calcium levels in the water that are locking out magnesium. Can you get some RO water from the grocery store?

$niffy

I can but I can't do it all the time. Bottled water over here isn't cheap and I'm currently in education so I don't work.

If my tap water is the issue, why would it occur now and not in previous grows (nor on my growing partners plants who uses the same water. Plus when she was grown previously she didn't do this)?

Thanks for your help sandman

Edit

I just looked at Stitch's sticky and the way in which the leafs are fading from the outside inwards does look similar to those leafs so perhaps it is magnesium. What do you suggest I do in the mean time?

Last edited:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
I've had a similar problem when they get rootbound...in your case, it could have been exaserbated the lockout if they're rootbound.

Definitely wouldn't hurt to transplant them into larger pots IMO...

Redseal

$niffy said:
I get my water from a tap and it is indeed hard water. Its EC is 0.35
That's fairly low for tap water.. I'd be more than happy if mine was that figure! I have to use a filter to get down to 0.3 and never had a problem from using it, so I think you can rule the water out (it would need to be 0.5+ to be considered hard/very hard)

When I accidently watered a plant with ph 5 water the leaves went all spotty within a few days just like those in your photo.. I flushed through as soon as I reliased so no idea if they'd have gone yellow eventually.