What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sigh....Is this Cal mag defficiency?

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Ok this is a first for me im in veg for one where i never have problems and its doing this on multiple strains

ph 5.6-5.8
b cuzz coco
great white micor
900 ppm's
RO water

pretty simple running same nutes as always... either its alittle to hot or i think its a cal mag def... has red dots can see very well in the picture in the yellow... The bad burns you see on some of the lower leafes are not part of the problem just from when they were cloned....

picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]
picture.php
[/img]

slackx

Veteran
Looking at the charts I got it seems like N def? Calmag is said in the jorge book is to be more brown around the edges of the leaves...dunno just my input trying to help

barth

Id say your instinct is right. Looks like cal/mag def. I have been using pure coco too. I usually feed with ph about 6.1. I add cal/mag during veg and a few weeks into flower. Then i will add it as needed. Seems to be working for me.

Nicoli

Veteran
Looks like Mag def, but who am I to say! I am a CFL grower! :D

Possible Zinc def also.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
Looking at the charts I got it seems like N def? Calmag is said in the jorge book is to be more brown around the edges of the leaves...dunno just my input trying to help

thanks slack but its deff not N deffieciency im pretty good at diagnosing my problems... just i been hitting them with a hefty dose of clamag for like 3-4 days and no improvements....

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
It looks like slight Mg and a K def. to me.
K Ca and Mg are competing ions.
Balancing these elements is important. Excess amounts of any two will cause deficiency of the third. Generally you want more Ca than Mg and more K than Ca. If your pH drops too low K and Mg uptake is reduced.

Bighill

I also agree cal/mag. Also agree more mag than cal, you'll see rust spots when it is advancing to cal def.

It isn't advanced enough yet to turn brown. Shortly however.

Here is a copy paste about the mag def. You may just need to adjust the PH a bit.

Soil

Magnesium gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 2.0-6.4
Magnesium is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.5-9.1 . (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Magnesium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0-5.7
Magnesium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.8-9.1
(Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Magnesium deficiency
Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Magnesium in them will fix a Magnesium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Other nutrients that have magnesium in them are: Epsom salts, which is fast absorption. Dolomite lime and or garden lime (same thing just called different) which is slow absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Magnesia which is medium absorption. Worm Castings, which is slow absorption. Crabshell which is slow absorption. Earth Juice Mircoblast, which is fast acting. (a must buy!! Has lots of 2ndary nutrients).
Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics,( which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
It is not Ca.

K and Mg def. both show us in older leaves first, being mobile elements.

Ca def. shows up mostly in newer growth, being an immobile element.
Another pertinent Paste:
Potassium
Type: primary macronutrient
Necessary for formation of sugars, starches, carbohydrates, protein synthesis and cell division in roots and other parts of the plant. It helps to adjust water balance, improves stem rigidity and cold hardiness, enhances flavor and color on fruit and vegetable crops, increases the oil content of fruits and is important for leafy crops. Just as with P, K uptake is highest during the earliest growth stages. K is associated with sturdy stems and resistance to disease in plants.
Deficiency symptoms: Leaf margins turn chlorotic and then necrotic; scattered chlorotic spots often occur on the leaves, and these spots may later turn necrotic. K deficiencies sometimes show on indoor plants even when there is apparently enough supplied for normal growth. Often, potassium-deficient plants are the tallest and appear to be the most vigorous. Starting on the large lower leaves, the tips of the blades brown and die. Necrotic areas or spots form on the blades, particularly along the margins. Sometimes the leaves are spattered with chlorotic tissue before necrosis develops, and the leaves look pale or yellow.
High amounts of K can cause Ca, Mg, and N deficiencies. High sodium can cause K deficiency.
High soil Mg can reduce K uptake, but it seems to occur only when the soil Mg saturation is in the range of 25% to 30%, or higher.
Numerous studies have looked at the possibility of using the K/(Ca + Mg) ratio to explain certain nutrition problems. While this ratio may be useful at some times, often there is no relationship between these cation ratios and crop performance.
High K levels can help against ammonium toxicity.
There is no evidence that K has a direct elemental toxicity. Excess K is more likely to be experienced first as an induced Mg deficiency. Next on the scale of probable high K damage signs might be induced Ca deficiencies

Magnesium
Type: secondary macronutrient
A critical structural component of the chlorophyll molecule and is necessary for functioning of plant enzymes to produce carbohydrates, sugars and fats. It is used for fruit and nut formation and essential for germination of seeds.
Deficiency symptom: Interveinal chlorosis on older leaves. Magnesium deficiencies also occur in mixtures that contain very large amounts of Ca or Cl. Symptoms of Mg deficiency occur first on the lower leaves. There is chlorosis of tissue between the veins, which remain green, and starting from the tips the blades die and usually curl upward. Purple colour builds up on stems and petioles.A plant in a pot may lose much of its colour in a matter of weeks. You may first notice Mg symptoms at the top of the plant. The leaves in the growing shoot are lime-coloured. In extreme cases, all the leaves turn practically white, with green veins. Iron deficiency looks much the same, but a sure indication of Mg deficiency is that a good portion of the leaf blades die and curl.
High sodium, K, and Ca can cause Mg deficiency.
High Mg can cause Ca deficiency.
Numerous studies have looked at the possibility of using the K/(Ca + Mg) ratio to explain certain nutrition problems. While this ratio may be useful at some times, often there is no relationship between these cation ratios and crop performance.
Very acidic conditions can cause Mg to be less available.
Magnesium toxicity's are very rare.

Calcium
Type: secondary macronutrient
Activates enzymes, is a structural component of cell walls, influences water movement in cells and is necessary for cell growth and division. Plants use calcium to help take up nitrogen and other minerals. Ca functions as a coenzyme in the synthesis of fatty compounds and cell membranes, and is necessary for normal mitosis (replication of cells). Plants take up much more Ca than the small amount necessary for normal growth. Calcium, once deposited in plant tissue, is immobile (non-translocatable) so there must be a constant supply for growth.
Deficiency symptoms: Light green color or uneven chlorosis of young leaves; margins of young leaves fail to form (strap-leaves); growing points of stems and roots cease to develop (blunt end); poor root growth and roots short and thickened.
Very acidic conditions can cause Ca to be less available.
Calcium, for all practical purposes, is not considered to have a directly toxic effect on plants. Most of the problems caused by excess soil Ca are the result of secondary effects of high soil pH. Another problem from excess Ca may be the reduced uptake of other cation nutrients. Before toxic levels are approached in the plant, crops will often suffer deficiencies of other nutrients, such as phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, boron, copper, iron, or zinc.
High Ca can cause Mg or B deficiencies.
High sodium, K, and Mg can cause Ca deficiency.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
thanks head so im feeding it cal mag + do i need a K suppliment as well?

Bighill

Good to have advice from an expert!! I know some stuff, but h3ad here, has a degree.

We need more pastes from you h3ad. :D

Edit: :ying:
High Ca can cause Mg or B deficiencies.
High sodium, K, and Mg can cause Ca deficiency.

your copy source is good.

Bh.

boroboro

Did you double check PH with another meter? High ph errors in coco (6.3-6.5 in my case) did similar things to my plants. I didn't see all the signs that you have, but I did what looked like a cal-mag deficiency.

I know that you know your stuff, I just couldn't help it since it was a recent experience of mine.

crippled1

I found a note on a Botanicare feed chart that says if you are using coco with RO water that you need to use at LEAST 5 ml/gallon of calmag during first 2 weeks.
Even after 2 weeks you need to supplement with calmag.
The leaf damage you see now is not going to repair itself, the plant is going to continue to eat itself until it gets the nutes it needs.

Definitely Mg and crippled1 is right. Colors won't revert, so just be attentive (as I am sure you already are) to how the plants respond to your solution. Interesting how you say this is "same nutes as always". Why is this popping up for the current grow?

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
Definitely Mg and crippled1 is right. Colors won't revert, so just be attentive (as I am sure you already are) to how the plants respond to your solution. Interesting how you say this is "same nutes as always". Why is this popping up for the current grow?

Got some new strains in there that seems to eat heavily on certain things i guess... I however did not suppliment cal mag the first couple weeks like a dumbass and hence the problems and the post...

E

el dub

I think its clear that the cal/mag treatment is working by the way the new growth at the top of the plants pictured are standing at attention.

Keep it up.

lw

grapeman

Veteran
Mg problem. Very slight now. A foliar spray will correct such a slight deficiency. I forget what I use...... I think 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salts per quart. Spray the underside of the leaves also.