What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Metal detector enthusiasts?Lets see your treasure!

Floridian

Veteran
Before my kaka hit the fan,I bought a top of the line Edwards metal detector.It has three prompts before you ever have to use your shovel.Tone of course,visual pics and numbers for different metals.You know beforehand if its a penny a quarter or a beer tab.I only had a few times to use it before things changed and I found 1 gold and 1 silver ring just screwing around on the beach learning how to use it.It's probably the only way the average ham'n'egger can really become a treasure hunter.I would love to search on some off track sites especially out west.I will get my chance one day.Its really fun to find stuff,its a rush when you get that clear loud tone of a precious metal along with the visual and numerical confirmation.I know some of you have had to find some interesting stuff through the years.I know when I get freed up with spare time I will score undoubtedly.Lets see some pics!

shithawk420

Veteran
i always wanted to be a treasure hunter.theres a guy on youtube who found over a million in civil war coins in a creek.it was one of those detectors that can go underwater

Floridian

Veteran
I saw that one sh,at first I thought this couldn't be real but after about fifteen minutes I realized it was the real deal.I can use my Edwards in shallow water but a brand called Minelab I believe is what you want for water searches.Thats gonna be my next toy.How about those huge silver coins though?I recognized the numerical values and the way he was finding them that it was an authentic post.Pretty unbelievable!It can happen to you or me

Green Squall

Very cool. I've always been interested in this and wondered what else is on my parents property ever since I was a teenager and found an old "bottle dump". Turned out they were all old brown antique bottles from the 1800's.

If you don't mind me asking, what does a legit metal detector cost. Lots of junk ones out there.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I got a Garrett ATPro from a guy who owed me money. Havent used it much but I've poked around a bit. So far oldest coin I've found is a 1811 large cent. I've found some 40's-50's silver coinage and lots of rotten pennies,bullets,nails, pull tabs and bottle tops. LOL. It came with waterproof headphones and the machine itself is supposed to be good up to ten feet underwater. Havent tried it underwater yet. Water is still a bit chilly.

Floridian

Veteran
GS I paid about 1200 dollars for mine,but it was like top of the line,you don't have to pay nearly that much to get a good functional detector.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

it'd be sweet hitting popular beaches @ low tide, lotta jewelry lost every single day. you can even hire yourself out to assist people looking for jewelry lost that day, imagine getting paid for gold you haven't even found yet.......

shithawk420

Veteran
hell yeah Floridian.i think the guy was in Georgia too.like right by me.i think its time we go on a treasure hunt.i got a creek and a couple acres in GA. JUST like that guy!ill buy the beers!

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I have a few metal detectors...

I have a few metal detectors...

I have a few metal detectors which we use Gold Prospecting.

My wife loves to go to the beach. Low tide for rings (cold water shrinks the fingers) and they slip off.

Whites MXT
Whites Pulse
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab SDC 2300

Some for big Gold others for small Gold. They all find jewelry.

Love Metal Detecting :tiphat:

7thson

Once I forgot about the fact that I wouldn't be getting rich,I had a lot of fun metal detecting.

There's nothing like digging something up that's been in the ground for so long.I really enjoyed the coins.I'll always remember that first silver coin.:woohoo:

igrowone

Veteran
is there worth anything in the 300$range? metal detectors that is

i don't own a detector, but i dabble in hunting treasure a bit
anyhow i like to read the sites, treasurenet and the like
this one guy bought a $50(or so) cheapie detector from harbor freight
went hunting with a experienced guy with the expensive system
and did better than his friend, who posted up the experience

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Any Metal detector will do..

Any Metal detector will do..

is there worth anything in the 300$range? metal detectors that is

Any Metal detector will do for finding jewelry and trinkets. You might find a used one on CL or eBay. Throw a dime on the ground and if it beeps you're in business.

My Gold Detectors are specialized and can beep any metal.

Get a cheapie and have a blast. :party: you will find STUFF

shithawk420

Veteran
yeah,thats pretty much what im gonna do.i got an old one from the 80s.its pretty much junk.im thinking if i really get into it i might buy one that detects what kind of metal it senses.but i reckon those are pricey.also im sure there is a skill and art to this.i think treasure hunting is romantic.like the sea.romance can be many things

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Lots of deals out there..

Lots of deals out there..

Google "harbor frieght metal detector" They have a 9 function Metal Detector for $47.00

This would work :dance013:

St. Phatty

I know 3 guys that made or make their living Gold mining.

1 of them just retired. He was a former Vietnam special forces and didn't usually need firearms to defend a "streak" (of gold) in the river ... being 6' 6".

He used a metal detector, to find the streaks. He netted 1/4 ounce to 1+ ounces from every work session.

1 of the others might have used a detector a long time ago, but now he just runs a ball mill and grinds rocks into powder and uses a sluice to extract the gold from that.

Another lives on the site of an abandoned mine. He uses Visual Inspection - just looks at the dirt.

Personally I would enjoy using one but I don't expect to find anything on my own land, except maybe old steel tools.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I know some full time miners..

I know some full time miners..

A friend of mines' company manufactures 80% of small prospecting equipment sold worldwide.

I used to dredge up in Downieville California and you could pull out an ounce a day on a good claim.

Those were the days before Dredging was outlawed in California.

I mostly go prospecting in the Mojave Desert. Here you could use a Metal Detector to find a pay. Then run the material through a Dry Washer. I have found most of my desert gold with a Dry Washer. I use my Metal Detector mostly to find nuggets.

Big Nuggets - use Minelab SDC or Whites Pulse

Small Nuggets- use Minelab X-Terra or Whites MXT

Almost too hot for the desert already :dance013: but plenty of Gold for everybody

Time to go to the beach and find some rings