What's new

HOW TO USE GUANO TEAS FOR DWC/OXYPOTS

jedi5891

Hey Folks, I've recently made my own 12 pot DWC/oxypot system and started Hydro properly for the first time. So far I'm really impressed with the rates of growth and have found the process simple enough so far with my EC an PH levels. I'm using Vitalink max A + B veg with Cal mag, as I'm in a soft water area, and 2nd week I've added enzymes. I've not used my EC meter as I need to replace the batteries and keep forgetting to get some, so have just kept the ratios on the low side and they've really thrived with lots of roots growing in the bucket now. I've tried to keep the PH around 6 - 6.2 and will bring this down to around 5.8 for bloom. I've been reading how some growers like to use H202 to keep a sterile tank an stop pathogens etc from colonising the reservoir. The other route is from using benificial microbes that keep unwanted nasties away.
My question is how and if you can use Bat Gauno for this by making a tea and how to incorporate it properly into the reservoir.
This is my first proper go at hydro and this is the only problem I can see I may encounter, is having some unwanted algae or pathogens form in the res, especially with the warm weather coming.
If anyone with more experience can give some advice on what to do and with what I'm feeling then I'd be grateful.
Peace

Speed of green

Bat guano is organic i believe, you may find more info on this in the organic hydro section.

some folks go the route of beneficial bacteria and a colonized reservoir, If this grow is a hobby i say go for it.

If you are growing for production i say keep a sterile reservoir, h202 works, SM90 is great too, it doubles as PH up.

MrMMJ

I've experimented with most growing methods, and although many would not be my first choice, would use again, EXCEPT for an active organic solution in hydro ( especially dwc). As S of G said, for fun it can be a learning experience, otherwise, the odds of it quickly going horribly bad are far too high.
Want great organically grown weed = amended soil + compost teas
Want fast growth/high yeilds weed = sterile hydro
Want stinky buckets/ dead plants = organic hydro
I also agree that over in the organic hydro threads are where some good info on this can be found. Good luck !

jedi5891

Thanks for your reply, I was over thinking things I think as I'm a first time hydro grower and I noticed the roots were slightly discoloured. Thankfully I only gave Enzymes to the bigger plants and the 3 smaller ones I noticed had bone white 1s still when I did the nutrient change. I've later read that some additives an booster can stain roots.
My pots are light proof, well oxygenated with Air stones and the Temps are ok, so I think I'll be fine.
Peace

MrMMJ

Maintaining a proper, pathogen free active organic tea type solution in any kind of dwc/rdwc system , especially a well oxygenated one, can be tricky at best. The closest I come to organic "hydro" nowadays is top fed drain to waste thru a mix of hydroton, perlite, growstones, and turface in smartpots. I brew a lot of teas for foliar spraying, but never had good luck trying to use it in water culture. I watched one grow go from bursting out a mass of beautiful roots and amazing growth to a stinking brown slimy mess below and death above seemingly overnite. :wallbash: I do organic soil, and use an organic tea thru the above mentioned smartpots, but for all my more "hydro" systems ( rdwc, ebb & flow buckets, top fed recirc tables, and some ppk's ) it's a mix of two dry powders, calcium nitrate and jacks 5/12/26 at 850ppm from start to flush and NOTHING else ( ok, sometimes some Epsom salt in mid flower for the extra mag and more the sulfer also, as jacks has a lot of mag already ). No airstones, no chillers. Great results, super easy, and I'm getting too old to work so hard:toohot: Learned a lot experimenting with organic hydro, and from my experience don't see it as too viable/practical of a method to recommend. Your courage to try it on a first grow is admirable :tiphat: Good luck and have fun!

Latest posts

Latest posts